Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Good morning all my toilet locker door is leaking and it is not the frame that seals to the van which leaves the seal around the opening door or the insert panel has anyone else had this and what did you do to rectify the problem,cheers.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi perhaps it is me or you are not explaining it to me in a way I understand ::bigsmile:You need to identify where it's leaking from :Smile:If it's not leaking from door seal to bodywork then it's either the door seal itself or the panel that fits into the door :Smile:Take the panel from inside the door and seal it -if not that look for adjustment on the door catch or catches (some have 1 others 2)
Of course you could have simply taken the cassette out while the bowl had water in it (clean hopefully::bigsmile:) or have you checked for a leak from the flush-water supply :Smile:
A pic or 2 would be a great help :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Terry and thanks for replying its awkward to pin point where it is getting in I know the frame seal is ok as I resealed this so I presume it can only be the door seal or the removable panel.
The fact that you can not see the inside due to the toilet being there makes it awkward what I was asking was is this a common occurrence and if so did people replace the door and frame or reseal the center panel.
It has caused some panel damage in the van at the bottom of the door which will need repairing but I was considering buying a new door and frame to be sure.

Another option is to put tissue paper inside the frame and spray water on the closed door but you would not know if it was the door seal or the center panel leaking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
IT'S A CASE OF ELIMINATING ONE AT A TIME-take the panel out and seal that first if you are confident that the outer door seal is good :thumb: After that it's down to the bog roll :Smile:They sometimes forget to seal things during manufacture or cannot be bothered ::bigsmile:You can get some draft seal and put it in-between the flaps on the door seal/gasket so that it pads it out if you can understand what I mean -Again it may be worth resealing the outer frame while your at it just to make double sure :thumb:
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
try taking out the panel and resealing and then warming the rubber seal with a hair dryer or heat gun and make sure its not gone stiff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Para! You could try putting some gaffer tap on the door itself to seal the panel gap temporarily whist you spray water onto the locker to see if it still gets in, if so then that might be the source of the leak, for good measure you could then seal the door outer instead and put water on the door panel and try the water on that, at least then you'd know if the problem is with just one, or both, bits.

However ... are you SURE the water is getting in to the compartment in this way and isn't actually coming from the cassette/toilet itself?

PS: We're in Cottingham so not far from Hull!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Para! You could try putting some gaffer tap on the door itself to seal the panel gap temporarily whist you spray water onto the locker to see if it still gets in, if so then that might be the source of the leak, for good measure you could then seal the door outer instead and put water on the door panel and try the water on that, at least then you'd know if the problem is with just one, or both, bits.

However ... are you SURE the water is getting in to the compartment in this way and isn't actually coming from the cassette/toilet itself?

PS: We're in Cottingham so not far from Hull!!! ::bigsmile:

It's definitely the door and not the toilet I will reseal the panel and tape up the door seal that sounds a good way to isolate one from the other cheers and "Up The Tigers lol".

OP
OP
Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cheers Terry I will need to remove it to repair the damage so after I have found the leak I will either fit a new one or reseal the old one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's definitely the door and not the toilet I will reseal the panel and tape up the door seal that sounds a good way to isolate one from the other cheers and "Up The Tigers lol".

Grrrrrrrrr!!!! ::bigsmile:

If you want to come round for a natter any time let me know. :thumb:

Mel

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Can you not take the toilet out, don't know much about them but dealer tells me its only 4 screws that hold them in place and then you would see into the compartment from the inside
Just a thought

Dodoman

Free Member
May 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion - Sprinter
Exp
I have recently fitted a new Thetford cassette door, first rain this week, upon investigation I am amazed to note that "by design" this door is doomed to failure.
Surface rain hitting the vertical wall will run down the wall and follow the contour of the door until it reaches the soft rubber gasket, whereupon it will leak.
It is time for Thetford to redesign their concept - any reputable electrical junction box has an external lip to direct surface water, the rubber gasket is merely an additional sealer.
Yes we need to devise some additional gasket packing - any suggestions welcome

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have recently fitted a new Thetford cassette door, first rain this week, upon investigation I am amazed to note that "by design" this door is doomed to failure.
Surface rain hitting the vertical wall will run down the wall and follow the contour of the door until it reaches the soft rubber gasket, whereupon it will leak.
It is time for Thetford to redesign their concept - any reputable electrical junction box has an external lip to direct surface water, the rubber gasket is merely an additional sealer.
Yes we need to devise some additional gasket packing - any suggestions welcome

I see your new.. Welcome.
Be aware this is a post from 2014 :D;)(y)

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
All three of my doors leaked
I just ran a small bead of clear silicone around the door panel to the plastic frame. Cant see it and has worked well no leaks for four years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back