Free Member
Oct 24, 2017
North Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Every

I am knew to the forum and would like some technical advice.

I recentley aquired a chausson best of 10 motorhome which was a private sale. Everything works fine and in general i am pleased with my purchase, but i am concerned if i have a problem with the fridge,a thetford 3000 tower model. The fridge seems to get cold (+5 in the fridge and -15 in the freezer box), but when using gas the burner only switches off for around 3 minutes every hour with the setting on one bar on the display.
My concern is that the tower housing is getting very hot adjacent to the centre of the exhaust chimney whether on gas or electricity. As this is my first motorhome is this normal or should i be concerned.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You don't say how old it is, but it is likely it has never been serviced, that would be my suggestion to try.

Can be DIY job but badly done could be very dangerous worth finding a service place to do it:)(y)

OP
OP
L

Leccy Man

Free Member
Oct 24, 2017
North Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi David,
The van had just had a habitation and fridge service prior to my purchase,i am just concerned about the heat on the housing side panel adjacent to the chimney.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi David,
The van had just had a habitation and fridge service prior to my purchase,i am just concerned about the heat on the housing side panel adjacent to the chimney.
A fridge service may well have just been a flue clean.
I would take it apart and give the burner a good clean, use a jet cleaning needle on the jet in the burner and also if it has restrictor up stream the jet in that too.
It may be getting hot purely because it is on all the time, but with a poor flame the heat exchanger ntakes ages to get up to temperature

OP
OP
L

Leccy Man

Free Member
Oct 24, 2017
North Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I called in at Lowdhams and spoke to a sales person who said that this is a common problem with this model on gas or electric and not to be concerned. He said that it is normal for the cabinet to get very hot,not sure about that statement. will take out fridge today and have a look myself and give it a clean.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Lowdham's standard cop out then, "Oh, they all do that" :mad:
If you feel confident enough to check it out yourself, it's got be worth a look just to make sure everything's fine. You should be looking for a nice, even blue flame, centralised on the burner and no sign of excessive black soot.
Oh and welcome to the world of motorhome salesman sophistry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back