Thetford fridge not cooling properly in Spain (1 Viewer)

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
hi all.

Our theford n145ad r fridge freezer has got a problem. The freezer is fine but the fridge won't go below 20c. It is 30c outside. Does anybody know what the problem can be, or where we can get it looked at. We are in Mataro outside of Barcelona.

Thanks Paul and Anne

Deleted User
A fridge fan would no doubt help but in the absence of one try taking the vent covers off to increase ventilation and try to keep the fridge side of the van in the shade. Setting the the fridge temp to the middle setting also helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
There are a few threads on here about fitting cooling fans to the top vent cover. As the outside air temp rises to that sort of level, the air behind the fridge heats up too much and cannot cool the fridge enough. Freezer tends to be better as it is opened less. Quick fix is to shade the fridge side of the MH and remove vent covers to allow more of an air flow.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
He says it is only getting down to 20, don't think fans will help sounds like a fault.

Is it the same on 230v as well as gas?
If just on gas, burner, jet & chimney probably need cleaning. If on both the absorbtion unit may have had it.

OP
OP
A

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Hi all

We have the fridge shaded with the awning and we have already taken the vents off the top and the bottom?

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
You don't say whether you're on gas or EHU.....but if you're on gas then I reckon @Lenny HB has it.

Our fridge was working fine on mains, but on gas just wasn't getting all that cold. I think the freezer gets first dibs on the coolant which is why the freezer appears to work(ish) but the fridge doesn't. Had our fridge serviced and now its working perfectly - loads of black soot came out of the burner assembly.

Also on gas it appears to work best when the temperature control is around 2/3 on....have no idea why, but its true. Doesn't make any sense to me but if its turned up to full then it actually stops cooling :confused:

OP
OP
A

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
The problem is on gas and hookup

Thanks Paul

Deleted User
Failing any other easy solutions try turning it off overnight or maybe 24 hrs, it has worked for us in the past.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
What I did last year in the south of France was to visit their B&Q and pick up a small toilet extractor fan, four metres of cable, a plug and a sucker. Placed sucker above top vent , wired the cable and plugged in on extract and you could immediately feel that hot air being sucked out. Not the prettiest solution but it helps.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I fitted twin fans in the upper grill, 35C in Spain in May, fridge keeping wife's insulin at a constant 4-5C, had problems getting to the correct temperature levels before the fans were fitted.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I fitted fans last year too and they've been amazing but even my super duper 30 year old fridge struggled when it got over 30 degrees. Some days it barely made 15, so there may not actually be anything wrong with your fridge AN. I thought there was something wrong with mine but once I got somewhere slightly cooler it did start working properly again. Keep in the shade if you can and make sure your fridge vent is kept out of the sun and if you can't help being in the sun then use your awning if you can.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Please guys read the OP, fans ain't going to help, the fridge has got a fault it won't get down below 20 deg.

OP
OP
A

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Thanks everyone for your answers. Well I got a Motorhome and caravan guy out to the campsite I am on in Spain. Recommended by the site. He said there is nothing wrong with it because the freezer is working. I have since put a van in the bottom vent and switched it fro hook up to gas and I have managed to get it to 15c it is 30+c in Spain at the minute and a few people are having problems

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Most of the respondents seem to have covered all the main points but I would just ask if you are level enough?
Have you moved pitch? if it worked fine before and you havent shifted the van then I can only concur with previous posters.
Might be worth resting it, even overnight , perhaps the gas has got stuck in the wrong spot, sounds daft but I have heard of fridges being inverted and shaken to put it right. (Dont Try this at Home!_)
Mike

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I would suggest you check the flame on your gas .A single flame not much bigger than a pilot light only has to be retarded slightly to affect the working of your fridge. It may only need a clean to the flue , or as in my case after standing through winter a valve had stuck and a funsters came up had a look and he said his valve had stuck tapping mine with a spanner ,in an instant the flame doubled in size problem solved.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks everyone for your answers. Well I got a Motorhome and caravan guy out to the campsite I am on in Spain. Recommended by the site. He said there is nothing wrong with it because the freezer is working. I have since put a van in the bottom vent and switched it fro hook up to gas and I have managed to get it to 15c it is 30+c in Spain at the minute and a few people are having problems
I have to agree with @Lenny HB that there is a problem that fans will not resolve. One has to ask, how full is the fridge, where are you measuring this temperature, are you leaving it a couple of hours between reading if you have to open the door?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Fridges are fickle things, try setting the temperature selector to 3 or 4 bars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back