Thetford fridge condensate drain (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Our Thetford fridge condensate drips via a small pipe into a small grey plastic container in the lower vent cavity, where it just overflows onto the vent cavity bottom. The chap in the next pitch has extended the pipe so it drizzles out of the vent slats. Both of ours. however, do have a decent sized drain at the bottom of the lower vent cavity (lower right of pic). Anyone know why the condensate pipe is not routed down there anyway in the first place / know why it shouldn't be?
20190809_131947.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I suspect it isn't intended to have to handle so much water.
Mine (dometic) only collects a little in the bottom of tray that soon evaporates.
Not sure why you'd be getting so much collecting in there ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The intention is that the heat generated by the cooling system evaporates any condensate. Suspect your fridge is producing too much - check the door seals etc. as it looks like your fridge may be working overtime!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Burgo
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
A bit of context it is 34C at the moment (1400 CET) and around 36% humidity so everyone's fridges around me are working hard - kind of expect that amount at the moment. Will drain out and see how much collects over a few hours, as don't know how long that lot took to collect.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp

I use one of these Turkey Basters to quickly suck the water out of fridge condensation traps. Saves time undoing the screw, removing the tray and refitting.

From servicing many caravans and motorhomes some traps are full, some 1/2 full, some totally dry. According to a thetford rep the leisure vehicles appliances are designed for around 1 month of continual living per year so extended use will mean more water in the trap.

OP
OP
Burgo
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
FWIW the grey catch container filled up in 24hrs from pretty well empty, with the temp this morning colder at 33c but a bit more humid ranging between 45 and 58%. I suspect the key factor is opening and closing the fridge every half hour or more to grab cold drinks and ice cubes from the freezer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We fitted a drain hose through the grill on our last van, without it the condensate overflows onto the gas pipe and fouls the gas jet. We did the same on this van.
The main issue is when the fridge defrost when turned off, the container overflows as yheres no heat to evaporate it. Silly design.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back