Thetford cassette toilet (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
I have 2012 Swift Sundance which is new to me. When i picked it up the toilet flushed. I have recently emptied the cassette. Now the toilet tries to flush, the motor runs but no water comes out. I'm not sure if it has a separate water tank or fills from the main water tank, which was emptied but i have recently refilled.

Any clues on what to do would be gratefully received.

Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
are you getting water from the bathroom tap? is there an external fill point just for the toilet on the outside wall near the toilet cistern?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Sometimes even with a full header tank the pump gets an air lock but check first hether you do have a header tank we find it lasts us 4-5 days in continual use when the cassette lasts 3 days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
are you getting water from the bathroom tap? is there an external fill point just for the toilet on the outside wall near the toilet cistern?
Yes to bathroom tap. No external fill point

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Now the toilet tries to flush, the motor runs but no water comes out

When you say “tries to flush, motor runs” are you saying you can hear the water pump running? As in the same water pump that runs when you operate the tap in the basin?

Is it possible that you just need to operate the flush button for longer as to get the air out and the water through, as you have drained it down.

If it’s not the water pump running then you could just be hearing the extraction fan that thetford fit to remove smells. This is very much quieter than the water pump.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It’s definitely the C402
In which case it looks like it has it's own flush tank - have you had a look inside the cassette door to see if there's a filler in there? It should have something like the top pipe with the green cap shown in this picture:

1591311854709.png

This model toilet also comes with its unique water tank flushing system that is filled from the outside, through its lockable service door. One advantage of this is that there is extra storage for the water and also the user will not depend on the water from the RV tanks for them to flush their toilets, therefore the user will be able to put Pink rinse on the top tank.

Some images here:

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
yes it is definitely the C402 .Thanks Minxy Girl . The filler pipe is full though. When I try to flush the motor for the flushing system works but nothing comes out into the pan. It's almost as if it is blocked or got an airlock or something. So the pump seems to be working but no water.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
The filler pipe is gravity-fed so just pour water in and the level in the filler pipe will remain the same but the tank will fill up. There is a clear tube to the left of the compartment running from bottom to top, this indicates the level of water in the tank which I believe holds 15 litres (y) (it confused me the first time as well). Ps because the tank is separate from the main water tank I add some thetford pink or similar to keep the tank fresh and the flush water helps keep the toilet bowl sweet-smelling. Hope this helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
The filler pipe is gravity-fed so just pour water in and the level in the filler pipe will remain the same but the tank will fill up. There is a clear tube to the left of the compartment running from bottom to top, this indicates the level of water in the tank which I believe holds 15 litres (y) (it confused me the first time as well). Ps because the tank is separate from the main water tank I add some thetford pink or similar to keep the tank fresh and the flush water helps keep the toilet bowl sweet-smelling. Hope this helps
OK thanks folks i have been completely dense on this matter (sic). I looked at the filler pipe and as there was water to the top thought it was full. Didn't realise it was gravity fed.

Thanks all for your help.

Bought this 2 weeks before lockdown and desperate to go away.

Reactions: SMB

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well tell us then ... have you gone and stuck more water in and got it flushing? We can't stand the suspense! 🤪

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Avoid the pink additive. It promotes the growth of black mould that can clog up the pipes.
I've been using it for seven years in the same system without any problems but obviously I can't see all the pipework. Is there any reviews or references to this anywhere? If this is the case I would reconsider using it. Edit: looked on the internet and there are forums on it, seem inconclusive but I will bear it in mind if I ever get black bits in the system. Because we full-time the loo is in regular use, maybe this is why we haven't had any problems (y)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been using it for seven years in the same system without any problems but obviously I can't see all the pipework. Is there any reviews or references to this anywhere? If this is the case I would reconsider using it. Edit: looked on the internet and there are forums on it, seem inconclusive but I will bear it in mind if I ever get black bits in the system. Because we full-time the loo is in regular use, maybe this is why we haven't had any problems (y)
I suspect the black bits are only an issue if a loo isn't used much so certainly sounds like constant use negates it.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Well I have looked deep into the matter and feel a bit flushed that I did not know what I was doing and my waters are flowing freely now.
Glad to hear that :ROFLMAO:. If you have any other questions just PM me, I have the 2011 model Sundance 630L (y)

Bec

Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Compass corona
You need the
I have 2012 Swift Sundance which is new to me. When i picked it up the toilet flushed. I have recently emptied the cassette. Now the toilet tries to flush, the motor runs but no water comes out. I'm not sure if it has a separate water tank or fills from the main water tank, which was emptied but i have recently refilled.

Tha

Thanks
You need to use the detachable green filler funnel thing to avoid an airlock. I don't see how it works but it does.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Think its only a problem if it sits around in the pipes for a long period, constant use will flush out any mould growth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back