Thetford 150 AES urgent problem (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Setting off from Spain to England tomorrow, turned fridge on, using electric hookup, 3 hours later fridge temperature has risen from 25C to 28C!:(

Heat exchanger is hot, pipe to heat exchanger too hot to touch, so element is working.

No error codes showing so thermostat is working OK (had 2 fail, so know what to look for).

Tried switching to gas, same story - working flat out, temperature going up, not down.

Tried different fridge thermometer, similar reading to 1st one.

Fridge worked perfectly last time out.

If the refrigerant gas had suddenly all leaked away, would the heat exchanger still get hot?

Any advice gratefully received, obviously we can't set off until the problem is fixed!!:crying:

Cheers, Dave

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Can't help with the problem but could you buy a 12v cool box if you can't fix the fridge ? - not ideal but may get you home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
are you level?
it looks like your refrigerant isn't circulating.
looks like a case for removing fridge and turning it upside down for a bit, not that easy though.
a simpler alternative that might work is let it cool down, then take it for a run on hilly roads, then try it again making sure it is level both ways.

OP
OP
daveinspain
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Burstner, but I am home, coming over to the UK for a couple of months. If the worst comes to the worst we'll have to use a coolbox to travel over, and get it fixed in the UK.

Reallyretired, yes its level. I thought the turning upside down trick only worked on older fridges? It does look like the refrigerant isn't circulating though, but don't know why - it was working fine when we got home from Portgual a few weeks back. There is no smell of ammonia, so I doubt that its leaked away.
Thanks for your reply, Dave

OP
OP
daveinspain
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Reallyretired, tried your suggestion of letting it cool down, reversed the van down our steep drive, hitting the brakes occasionally to try and remove any airlocks, then reversed up the steep road outside, rolled forward hitting the brakes again, drove back up the drive on my level parking, started the fridge on gas, and I'm delighted to say the fridge is now starting to cool down! Obviously there must have been an airlock, and that shifted it. Well done, great suggestion!
Many thanks, Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Indeed, great advice. Knowing not just that it needed to be hit but precisely how to hit it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back