Thermal Solar Panels on a House (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Are you on a bore hole water system Steve? That set up with the vacuum tank looks very similar to ours?
No Simon the the vessel you see is an expansion vessel with about 3bar pressure for the sealed circulation fluid(glycol) normal running is 1.5bar if it got to high the prv would dump the fluid 👍

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
No Simon the the vessel you see is an expansion vessel with about 3bar pressure for the sealed circulation fluid(glycol) normal running is 1.5bar if it got to high the prv would dump the fluid 👍

Does the valve go whoosh like on a turbo car 🤔😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
When we fitted ours the information pointed at the evacuated tubes being the best for efficiency, ie copper plate/rod black inside a glass tube the end then goes in the manifold (dry)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Yes, I meant expansion vessel, same as on our borehole Steve.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Like these?

This is the one only fluid in the header tank with solid rods if that makes sense
EB2A3F26-57E6-4E2A-B3DC-FA0288A699AC.png
EB2A3F26-57E6-4E2A-B3DC-FA0288A699AC.png

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I was gutted as I had decided not to back Minella even though it was on my shortlist as good as Rachel Blackmore undoubtedly is, a female jockey has never won the National, big mistake, wadda I know ;)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I was talking to the guy who services our gas boilers and he was telling me that their company have just started replacing all of the air source heat pumps on a 6 year old housing estate due to upgrade 6 YEARS OLD seems to me there is more carbon foot print making these carbon nuetral devices or basically companies making a lot of money from talking b********s
We ve recently scrapped an 8 year old ASHP on one of our holiday cottages, noisy, slow to respond and unreliable, so stuck a small LPG system boiler in it.

The 2 year old Viesmann ASHP on the house could not be more different, plenty of heat cheap to run and not a peep from it, you can be stood right next to it and struggle to hear it. love it but it was painfully expensive.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We ve recently scrapped an 8 year old ASHP on one of our holiday cottages, noisy, slow to respond and unreliable, so stuck a small LPG system boiler in it.

The 2 year old Viesmann ASHP on the house could not be more different, plenty of heat cheap to run and not a peep from it, you can be stood right next to it and struggle to hear it. love it but it was painfully expensive.
The salesman saw you had a N&B 👍🤣

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We came across thermal panels on a Croft on Mull where they were used to heat water and also underfloor heating. We decided PV suited us better and it has now paid for itself after 8 years. With FITS it was a no brainier.
However, we are renovating our holiday cottage/future retirement home and, with no grants or FITS, and with prices similar to those 8 years ago, the payback of 25 years does not seem a good investment even in a south facing roof with perfect pitch.
Even with the Greta argument it does not seem a wise investment.

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Ive thought long & hard about that Steve but can’t see me shelling out on a van I can’t go anywhere in anywhere soon.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
That could be a good alternative Ken, photo voltaic/ lithium battery bank also Tesla (dual purpose battery) and air source job done, now that would be expensive!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That could be a good alternative Ken, photo voltaic/ lithium battery bank also Tesla (duel purpose battery) and air source job done, now that would be expensive!
When we specced ours they were expecting BEV batteries to be going for a second life in houses, trouble is they're lasting a bit too well in cars atm

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We came across thermal panels on a Croft on Mull where they were used to heat water and also underfloor heating. We decided PV suited us better and it has now paid for itself after 8 years. With FITS it was a no brainier.
However, we are renovating our holiday cottage/future retirement home and, with no grants or FITS, and with prices similar to those 8 years ago, the payback of 25 years does not seem a good investment even in a south facing roof with perfect pitch.
Even with the Greta argument it does not seem a wise investment.
We are not specifically looking for investment returns, rather more for comfort and reliability with systems suitable for a 60s built bungalow with a moderate EPA rating. BTW there is no gas in the village, we are on oil.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I contacted Government Green Homes Grant yesterday and got through, wow.

All new applications not allowed from 31st March as they have scrapped it. But existing applications can still be accepted, they checked on mine and it’s still in the system waiting for approval whatever that means. It’s been waiting a bleeding year.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We are not specifically looking for investment returns, rather more for comfort and reliability with systems suitable for a 60s built bungalow with a moderate EPA rating. BTW there is no gas in the village, we are on oil.
We have oil both here and up north. This house is about 20 years old, the one up north a 70s bungalow. A couple of neighbours up there, one with a similar age build have installed solar PV and are very happy.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have a perfectly pitched roof that runs north to south and have the electric solar panels on the front and the water heater tubes on the rear (facing east to get morning sun) in the leafy suburbs of Hants/Surrey border.
The water system is good from May to September and pretty much necessary to have another form (gas) for heating water to a standard acceptable to actually shower in.
The electric system brings in about a grand a year, versus my daughters, about 400 yards away, on a perfectly due south pitch which brings in at least double what we do in income.
We got them the week before they stopped the FIT payments at good rates which was November 11 if I remember rightly, and have more than made our money back from our system and raked it in on daughters.

Would i replace the water system. No. It cost a grand or so and is not financially viable imho. And Greta/anyone can moan about that as much she/they wishes and i will be more than willing to accept their financial difference to change my mind.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would think most people look at things like solar but would only do it if the return on their money is good and fairly quick. If it’s years before they get a return/pay back most people would not be interested or afford it. It’s a good idea , just not for everyone. Think it should be compulsory on new buildings though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would think most people look at things like solar but would only do it if the return on their money is good and fairly quick. If it’s years before they get a return/pay back most people would not be interested or afford it. It’s a good idea , just not for everyone. Think it should be compulsory on new buildings though.
When the returns were really good we couldn't afford it. Now we can afford it, it's not worth doing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back