Thermal pot cooking (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
Has anyone got or cooked using a thermal pot ?
Are they any good ?
Just bought one on eBay.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I guess when you get yours we will know. We look at them some time ago, but left it as had enough cooking things in the MH. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Keith777
Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
I was thinking of cooking at home and eating later still steaming ! (Not me the food) !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Mr D's thermal pot has a lot of fans on here but not tried it ourselves. Plan on experimenting with small pressure cooker & Wonderbag as both are multi purpose so possibly better if limited space.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a Mr ds. We tend to use it most when we go away. Prepare everything at home stick it in the pot and leave. When we get to our first overnight stop dinner is ready. It's great. Also ideal if youre going out for the day. It's pretty simple and of course doesn't need power.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Bought a Mr D's just before we went away for Xmas. Practiced a couple of times before we left then took it with us. We have the top pot so can do 2 meals at once & can re-heat the second quickly on the stove.
So good to have a hot meal ready on arrival on site, back home, or at my dad's. Also used at home.
Perfect!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mr D's thermal pot has a lot of fans on here but not tried it ourselves. Plan on experimenting with small pressure cooker & Wonderbag as both are multi purpose so possibly better if limited space.
I was thinking the same but making a version of the 'wonderbag' myself using an old duvet. The only downside that I could think of though was that a pressure cooker would gradually lose pressure whereas a thermal cooker is completely sealed so keeps the 'pressure' and therefore heat in.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I was thinking the same but making a version of the 'wonderbag' myself using an old duvet. The only downside that I could think of though was that a pressure cooker would gradually lose pressure whereas a thermal cooker is completely sealed so keeps the 'pressure' and therefore heat in.
Great minds think alike!:D We have found that even without heat our pressure cookers retain pressure (if not released) & heat for quite a while whilst "cooling" so putting it straight in to a Wonderbag or similar should extend that. Before we bought the Wonderbag we used a box lined with the wool packs that come with chilled food deliveries with old clean towels & a pillow on top which worked well with curry in a cast iron casserole dish - good idea when using either is to put a cork or silicone mat in the bottom so the heat of the base doesn't do any damage.
The Wonderbag could be used for keeping food/drink cold too & although bulky could double up as a cushion plus being soft & flexible is easier to store in the motorhome than our rigid box version. They are expensive for what they are but can sometimes be picked up cheap on eBay or Amazon Warehouse. The pressure cooker will replace one of our pans & thinking about adding this as a lid (& possibly replacing most of the other pan lids with something like this Amazon product ASIN B00IHXGDQ2 These seal really well (tried at Shows/shops) to most containers so save on cling film & could be stored easily hung on the inside of cupboard doors. Just need to find a good deal on these now...

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Ambikate your a legend with your hospitality a Mr D can only make you better, no I take that back your perfect already. Happy Cooking
Lol Thankyou . Bill is thinking of all the curries and hot pots we could make for our party meets . We are hoping to grab a bargain so going to keep searching till we find one ;) Happy new year to you both xxx

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I liked ours when we first got it but over the last few uses it doesn't seem to cook everything properly and also isn't as hot as it ought to be when cooked. I always end up having to reheat it at the end which defeats the object really.

Probably going to stop using it now.

Denise

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I always end up having to reheat it at the end which defeats the object really.
Not entirely... You can still cook "on the move" and then top up the heat when ready to eat if necessary? (Obviously not so if it isn't properly cooked...)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dawn @Mousy swears by her Mr D, and we've benefitted from many a chilli prepared in it! (y) I am not allowed to have one, as Cliff quotes @Mr Mousy whenever I enquire as to whether our van would benefit from another passenger ie Mr D....... 'My life is complete'...... :(

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I liked ours when we first got it but over the last few uses it doesn't seem to cook everything properly and also isn't as hot as it ought to be when cooked. I always end up having to reheat it at the end which defeats the object really.

Probably going to stop using it now.

Denise

:( :( :( could it not be sealing properly ? let us know if you want to part with it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back