There some very nice people out there! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
This morning (in France)we had the misfortune that our door slammed due to a gust of wind and all the doors locked with keys inside. As it was so hot both of us very little on and could not get in. Phones money everything in the van.

A Belguim family saw our problem and tried to help out by trying to dismantle from inside the garage, but the Hymer is so well built we could not get that way. This couple let us use their phone and found all the information we wanted regarding Comfort Insurance, who were very helpful. After five hours two “locksmiths” turned up and within five minutes they were in via the kitchen window. (Seems to me that if you have the right gear you can get into ANY motorhome with NO damage at all.)

Back to our Belguim family in that five hour wait they kept us supplied with water and snacks. They even prolonged their departure until they knew we were sorted. How nice in this day age.

Colyboy

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I don't know if you are aware or not but there are many nice people right here on fun too, and it would be good if you kept them so up to date after asking for help. :giggler: Just common courtesy to acknowledge posts replied to on threads you start.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Yep these events restore your faith in human nature. Last Friday we were in the middle of a small climb in the Pyrenees on our tandem when a grinding noise came from the back.

No it wasn't the stoker complaining but one of the freehub bearing disintegrating! We figured this out as a lovely French couple invited us in to their house to try and sort it. Plied us with coffee and after about an hour on the phone to the bike builder, who was brilliant, we were able to identify the problem.

Got home to the van at a very slow speed and now waiting for a new freewheel hub to arrive!

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Regarding the Han door we found a stainless steel spring that almost broke in half. So no use . We now have to find a supplier of these springs.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
colyboy its good to know there are people like that out there. We are on a site North of Madrid..could you pop out and work your charm on a few of the locals.They are in various shabby seasonal caravans with the usual tatty add on awnings etc...opposite the guy is doing diy with an angle grinder and electric saw ( on and off all day )..behind us the old lady was stuck in front of a tv outside six hours ago....and on the plot two from us the tv went on loudly lunchtime for the simpsons and the daughter has just finished tv as they have gone to the bar.ARGH.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Many cages rattled ... not just Sandra .. sorry. I gave up answering.
For more than ten years I've been helping folk on a classic m/bike Forum with techy problems. Invariably if they're not asking where to buy the 'cheapest' something or other :rolleyes: they want quick help. I enjoy providing solutions/ advice together with diagrams, photos and excerpts from manuals to guide them but quite a few never come back with updates. I don't expect them to prostrate themselves in gratitude but it would be useful to know for future reference if the advice worked. I'm not always right - usually due to being given insufficient or duff information. After a couple of months I stop replying to them.
I'm not having a poke at you colyboy but the general lack of acknowledgement of help/replies has been pet irritation of mine for years. I think it's partly forgetfulness and partly due to the relative 'anonymity' of website forums.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well,now I know that there are nice people in the world. That’s good.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I personally consider there are a lot of nice people about and a lot whose cages are rattling when they wake up in the morning and then carry on till they go to bed at night.

Alas it is the people whose cages are constantly rattling who make the most noise. :)

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
colyboy its good to know there are people like that out there. We are on a site North of Madrid..could you pop out and work your charm on a few of the locals.They are in various shabby seasonal caravans with the usual tatty add on awnings etc...opposite the guy is doing diy with an angle grinder and electric saw ( on and off all day )..behind us the old lady was stuck in front of a tv outside six hours ago....and on the plot two from us the tv went on loudly lunchtime for the simpsons and the daughter has just finished tv as they have gone to the bar.ARGH.
Sounds dreadful'still you pays your money and takes your choice or maybe its free

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I'm close to giving up on MHF. :(

In case of any doubt I can't see what you did wrong colyboy.

Proly just forgetful, but several calls for help by one or two members have been answered and help given only to be met by a deafening silence from the OP
Like others, now when I see a cry for help from those I just ignore it.. terrible I know but as one never knows if the OP has found a solution the threads are always left open ended and it really is bloody frustrating

I assume there must be another thread somewhere that we haven't seen.
Errrr... several !!!!!!!!!!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I didn’t take much notice of what I was taught at school but one thing I remember clearly—— if you give, you give unconditionally. If I give to charity I usually click anonymous, I don’t expect or want to be thanked, I give because I want to. Same goes for any advice. Ok, the original poster might have got side tracked, forgotten they’d posted, whatever but someday someone else might see it and it helps them.
Costs nowt to give helpful advice, and who knows who it might help other than the one who originally asked ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I didn’t take much notice of what I was taught at school but one thing I remember clearly—— if you give, you give unconditionally. If I give to charity I usually click anonymous, I don’t expect or want to be thanked, I give because I want to. Same goes for any advice. Ok, the original poster might have got side tracked, forgotten they’d posted, whatever but someday someone else might see it and it helps them.
Costs nowt to give helpful advice, and who knows who it might help other than the one who originally asked ?
It isn't thanks that are needed - it is an update to say whether the problem is solved and how that was achieved that's needed.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Does someone who is in a stressful situation and may not be fully forum active really need to be jumped on for making post about a good deed,. I often think if you have not got anything good to say about someone say nothing.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Good to hear you got in ok maybe posting on fun wasn't at the top of your mind at the time!.

I think there is good in the most unexpected places I was in Cardiff trying to find a way out of a multistorey car park to a hotel late one night when I came out st the bottom of a stairwell at a dead end. There were two people there who were clearly sleeping rough and it being late at night I was a little concerned. They were very polite asked where I was going and pointed me in the right direction. I felt really bad assuming they were dodgy people because of their circumstances.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Maybe it would be easier if you changed site ?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
colyboy

Father in law had similar issue with his van door with similar solution of spring being required.

He found a supplier after much digging, and bought spares as well (good hint) as they go quite regularly apparently.

Should you want this information I can ask him and just bung me a one liner and I ll bung it back it to you. Probably tonight though.

Should you not want it, no need for a response !

Enjoy the rest of your holiday

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
For more than ten years I've been helping folk on a classic m/bike Forum with techy problems. Invariably if they're not asking where to buy the 'cheapest' something or other :rolleyes: they want quick help. I enjoy providing solutions/ advice together with diagrams, photos and excerpts from manuals to guide them but quite a few never come back with updates. I don't expect them to prostrate themselves in gratitude but it would be useful to know for future reference if the advice worked. I'm not always right - usually due to being given insufficient or duff information. After a couple of months I stop replying to them.
I'm not having a poke at you colyboy but the general lack of acknowledgement of help/replies has been pet irritation of mine for years. I think it's partly forgetfulness and partly due to the relative 'anonymity' of website forums.

“prostrate themselves in gratitude”. What a wonderful expression! I shall look forward to using it myself later today. Thank you Mr Spriddler you’ve made my day.:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Proly just forgetful, but several calls for help by one or two members have been answered and help given only to be met by a deafening silence from the OP
Like others, now when I see a cry for help from those I just ignore it.. terrible I know but as one never knows if the OP has found a solution the threads are always left open ended and it really is bloody frustrating

Errrr... several !!!!!!!!!!
No , I meant the op must have asked for help in another thread because there was nothing in this one for the replys he got

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
“prostrate themselves in gratitude”. What a wonderful expression! I shall look forward to using it myself later today. Thank you Mr Spriddler you’ve made my day.:)
It is a delight far beyond my inadequate articulation, most esteemed and worthy Funster, to receive such an overwhelming appreciation of my humble efforts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back