There is a new kid in town (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
I never thought I would own a MH, I have been a sailer for years and owned a few boats. Scowled at Motor Homes and caravans on the roads of the UK; (conditioned snob). Moved up to the Baltics and bought a house in the forests of northern europe, isolated and very much in the wilderness. I tinkered with sailing my boat up into the Baltic but when it came to the reality of a three month sail on my own and a frozen sea in an unknown land in winter, I sold my boat. I live in the land of free wild camping, so I bought a MH, just like a boat, but on 4 wheels. So much more practical and I have to admit; its ok. In fact, and to be totally honest, I adore it.

So my MH lives in my garden, no driving to get to her as was with the boat. I can play and tinker all I want and there is no charge for the mooring. I can sit in her and have a beer as its just 30 seconds back to my house on my feet.

I can park up on the coast or deep in a forest, wild camping all seasons here in Northern Europe. My new adventure starts now.

And that's my introduction.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Welcome to the fun. Sounds wonderful in the forests. Enjoy your MH.

:WelcomeFlag:

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Great introduction..... w2f

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built 105
Exp
Since Feb 2019 newbie
Gosh Northern boy - that’s sound lush! Haha - we’ve sat in ours on the drive too - it transports you to a world of calm! When we are back on our drive we’ll toast a drink to you and all who sit in their MH on their drive planning the next jaunt or tinkering to their heart’s content! 🍻 🥂

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow. Welcome. What lovely pictures you paint with your words in these mad times. Welcome.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I never thought I would own a MH, I have been a sailer for years and owned a few boats. Scowled at Motor Homes and caravans on the roads of the UK; (conditioned snob). Moved up to the Baltics and bought a house in the forests of northern europe, isolated and very much in the wilderness. I tinkered with sailing my boat up into the Baltic but when it came to the reality of a three month sail on my own and a frozen sea in an unknown land in winter, I sold my boat. I live in the land of free wild camping, so I bought a MH, just like a boat, but on 4 wheels. So much more practical and I have to admit; its ok. In fact, and to be totally honest, I adore it.

So my MH lives in my garden, no driving to get to her as was with the boat. I can play and tinker all I want and there is no charge for the mooring. I can sit in her and have a beer as its just 30 seconds back to my house on my feet.

I can park up on the coast or deep in a forest, wild camping all seasons here in Northern Europe. My new adventure starts now.

And that's my introduction.
That’s what I call living the dream, welcome to the forum. What’s the wildlife like around you?
wolves ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Northern Boy and welcome to Motorhome Fun, good you are enjoying your new found freedom on land. Your forest hide always sound's idilic we look forward to hearing your Motorhome adventures, though you do only get 5 Free post's then your become a read only member but £15 a year gets you unlimited post's and unlimited access to all the forums .
w2f

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
That’s what I call living the dream, welcome to the forum. What’s the wildlife like around you?
wolves ?
Thanks for the reply, and, yes, you have made me think a bit. Am I living the dream? Maybe I am and that makes me feel a tad humble. Wildlife; Wolves, Lynx, Bear, Moose and wild boar are all close at hand; I try to keep the cats in at night as its always a risk and they would make a nice breakfast for someone. I dont see much in the summer but when it snows I can see the foot prints and yes, Bear and Lynx come very close to the house; as do hare and deer. I have yet to see wolves prints as they keep north by the coast.

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Hello Northern Boy and welcome to Motorhome Fun, good you are enjoying your new found freedom on land. Your forest hide always sound's idilic we look forward to hearing your Motorhome adventures, though you do only get 5 Free post's then your become a read only member but £15 a year gets you unlimited post's and unlimited access to all the forums .
w2f
I had no idea there was a charge to post. I will stay as read only for now, thank you for sharing the information and I will now go silent, shame but bless you.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thanks for the reply, and, yes, you have made me think a bit. Am I living the dream? Maybe I am and that makes me feel a tad humble. Wildlife; Wolves, Lynx, Bear, Moose and wild boar are all close at hand; I try to keep the cats in at night as its always a risk and they would make a nice breakfast for someone. I dont see much in the summer but when it snows I can see the foot prints and yes, Bear and Lynx come very close to the house; as do hare and deer. I have yet to see wolves prints as they keep north by the coast.
Sounds like I could do with visiting you as I am a keen wildlife photographer.
A trip to the Baltic’s could be a trip of a lifetime if I could convince Dee my wife that we should do it, maybe if the Aurora borealis shows well in your neck of the woods 😁

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I had no idea there was a charge to post. I will stay as read only for now, thank you for sharing the information and I will now go silent, shame but bless you.
I know it's a shame but the upgrades and costs of keeping the forum running without gremlins is a lot and Jim for year's did cover the cost himself but as the forum grew the cost and time spent keeping it running smoothly and with so many resources and information there had to be a charge , it is amazing the area Motorhome Fun cover's all UK Europe New Zealand and Australia all paid up members great to share information with fellow member's.
i have to admit your story sound's interesting and a exciting way of life.
Stay Safe 🌳

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
(y) :hiya2: :welcomesign:

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Thanks for giving us a great introduction to yourself. I have fond memories of The Baltics from a camping holiday in the mid-90s. I'd love to return in a motorhome.
Also, I am glad you are not too proud to admit that you were once dismissive of motorhomes but have made a successful switch from sailing to motorhoming.
Please join MF. I think you will be a valuable contributor and you will enjoy the benefits of belonging to a group of like-minded people.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Welcome aboard sir,
Like yourself i was a boater for many years and took the leap around 10 years ago and never looked back! Love the camper life, have spent winter's in Morocco and summers in Turkey and spent months on end in everywhere in between, including a full 3 month tour of Scandinavia & The Baltics, definitely wouldn't have attempted any of that in a Broom 42!

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
hello. I would love to hear more of your adventures....it’s a charge to partake in all the hard work, the helpfulness, the brains of all the people who contribute to the forum and to help Jim cover his costs. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Hi and Welcome from Shropshire please join us as a member and keep us up to date on your new adventure:giggle:

Mar 31, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Northern boy and welcome. We've visited the baltics a few times on cruise trips. Graham is an artist and works on cruise ships from time to time.
We're also based in the North - South Shields on the mouth of the river Tyne.

Your home environment does indeed sound idyllic and very peaceful. I became disabled in 2012 and was forced to take early retirement from local government. The small payout I received just about covered the cost of our lovely 20 year old Swift Kontiki (Konnie). She's in fabulous condition, which is good as we're more creative than mechanically minded.

The few queries we've had, we've posted on here and found everyone to be very helpful. I'd highly recommend joining. £15 for the year is well worth it 😊

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
I have read all your messages and will subscribe as soon as I get an answer as to the banking details, my UK bank wants to know the person or business account name of the receiving bank and I dont yet know that answer. Awaiting reply from customer support on here. I cant do Paypal as they want an address from me and I dont have one I want to use in the UK. Being an Expat can be quite a challenge at times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back