Them Fridge vent cover things............ (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks all for the advice. I could have home made all manner of devices to do the job including my Insulation board idea. But for 16 quid its not worth messing around so I ordered a pair of winter vent covers off Ebay.

Thanks again I/We appreciate it !

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Ours simply refuse to 'clip' back into place anyway :madder::swear:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The side of my van has loads of the vents, The bottom of the fridge for access to the working bits, top of said then there are ones for the top of the grill which we do not use and the op of the oven which we do use. Trouble is there is a screaming cold draught through both the oven and grill vents which are open straight into the living area. I have taped and put the covers onto the grill one and that cut it back but the oven needs the opening BUT WHY to the inside as well, you can look straight out of the grills on both items from the inside and the draught is not conducive t a warm nights sleep as it is opposite the bed area, I tried taping it off but that was not good looking, any suggestions, it seems to me that van is designed for the south of Spain not UK weather, there are cold draughts from all over the place including up through the seat belt slots straight onto the other bed, even the new curtain we made does not stop them.
Before I checked your profile I had already guessed what make of MH you had ... when I looked I was right - a Chausson! We had the same problems with the one we had! You can put a cover on the front of the oven/grill openings for when you're not using them - or tape but its obviously not 'pretty' to look at.

As for the fridge - it should NOT vent into the van so I'd be tempted to completely seal that from the interior which is what I did by removing the outside vents and accessing it that way - loft insulation, silicon sealant and gaffer tape did the job!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Just got some of these for the colder weather as we will be using our MH all year round.

There's still some of the vent showing when fitted so should be OK to use when running fridge on gas I reckon.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm......... this is all a little confusing o_O

I would like to fit winter covers for my Dometic 5380 on our Globecar. The manual does say fit them when outside temp falls below +10c so as to "protect the unit from excessively cold air which could have an adverse effect on the performance of the unit" ................ therefore when in use.

Do both vents have the covers? @Charlie are you happy with your 'Ebay' covers?

@MinxyGirl based on you being a 'GOAFER' I am only a 'GO' haha............. however, we do get draughts coming in around our fridge too........... have you 'fettled' your Globecar fridge?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hmm......... this is all a little confusing o_O

I would like to fit winter covers for my Dometic 5380 on our Globecar. The manual does say fit them when outside temp falls below +10c so as to "protect the unit from excessively cold air which could have an adverse effect on the performance of the unit" ................ therefore when in use.

Do both vents have the covers? @Charlie are you happy with your 'Ebay' covers?

@MinxyGirl based on you being a 'GOAFER' I am only a 'GO' haha............. however, we do get draughts coming in around our fridge too........... have you 'fettled' your Globecar fridge?

Yes mate the "Ebay" covers are spot on ! Both vents have covers. Our ones are the lighter colour ones and I was going to spray them the same grey as the vents but they look fine and the colour reminds me they are in place so I wont forget to remove them.

It is possible to buy them in grey but they are 3 times the price plus I dont have the colour change to remind me they are on.

They are a manufacturer part so quality is spot on and there is one vent slot uncovered for winter use or just ventilation into the rear of the fridge area plus of course they are great for when washing the van,

They clip on and off in literally seconds (y)(y)(y)

Feb 28, 2013
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We have the RM3501 and did find after running on gas for three days, with covers fitted, the top grill had warped. The outside airtemp did not get above 10C on the trip. Therefore we now remove them earlier than specified.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have the RM3501 and did find after running on gas for three days, with covers fitted, the top grill had warped. The outside airtemp did not get above 10C on the trip. Therefore we now remove them earlier than specified.
Crikey, that's worrying :eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had draughts on previous MHs but not with the Globecar - perhaps because its not at floor level and has a cupboard below?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread