The Wonderful World of Insurance Quotes (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We use CCC. No limits on windows. Our Hymer double glazed A class windows all in various states of condensation. Using their designated contractor all replaced with Hymer units costing £5,500 with no excess. No increase, we'll very little, at renewal last week. Screens and windows are expensive. Our policy says "windscreen and windows". Do others only cover windscreens?

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Try Safeguard I have found them good but will not issue green card for Morocco

Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
I was going to reveal my solution on a new post but this one seems to be active, so here it is.

Insure the vehicle but don't take out breakdown until we get 'permission' to travel.

Note.... Some policies (AIB) only allow the breakdown to run over the same 12 month period, so if you take it out in 3 months time you only get 9months for the price of 12! There are others (CMC) where the breakdown will run for a full 12 months from the time you start it. I appreciate that you might loose out if you take out a single policy for both in future, but for now its a good option as you are not paying for breakdown you will not use!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
That's the problem with C&MC they want about £150 for breakdown cover compared to Comfort's £64.

hi Lenny
have you ever had to be repatriated from abroad back to the uk in your motorhome

i’m not wanting to pry but i can’t see a policy costing 64 quid doing this

just a query mate and nothing bring it, just interested

once again i spent a few days trying to get some cover for a 8.8 mtr tag 5000kgs and failed miserably

luckily it’s not needed............ yet

cheers

Al

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail T680
Exp
since 2010
I just got a good quote from C&MC - much cheaper than Caravan guard renewal quoteAlso they aren’t as picky about it being on my drive before and after trips(usually in locked storage). Caravan guard was max 48 hours!

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Have you tried the Caravan & Motorhome Club. I believe they still have an offer on where they will beat your lowest quote by £25?I switched last year from Flux, who had also misled me with the max windscreen cover.My insurance was up for renewal last week & I was prepared for the usual "bun fight", however my renewal from the C&MH club was £15 cheaper than last year!Worth a try if not too late. Tel Nr 0345 300 4290.
Tried C&MC and out of 7 insurers the were the only company who couldn’t quote me

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I just got a good quote from C&MC - much cheaper than Caravan guard renewal quoteAlso they aren’t as picky about it being on my drive before and after trips(usually in locked storage). Caravan guard was max 48 hours!
Filled in an online application for quote for the 3rd time today - each time it goes off to look for quotes with the wheel spinning and doesn't ever return - frustrating as it doesn't store the details either!

1588179183178.png

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I use Safeguard , they will supply Driver I f you fall ill abroad Comfort would not, last year , Renewal June?!? With Insurance the ? in in the small print

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
1st renewal time, what a mixed bag of results

Caravan Guard.(current insurer) quoted £1066 but reduced it by 30% on query to £780

Comfort £617

AIB £583
windscreen limit £3k

NFU LOUTH £1063
Would only quote on the basis they saw all other renewals???

Adrian Flux £772
quoted unlimited windscreen but quote arrived limited to £1500 - may be worth others checking their policies

Caravan and Camping - gave up after multiple attempts

So it like a choice between AIB and Comfort. Anything to choose between them?

Is a £3000 limit an issue on a Dethleffs A class. - anyone on here had to replace one?
Latest updates - the insurance world is one I cannot fathom!

Price is not the be all and end all but it is an important factor for most of us.

Caravan Club eventually rang me back, went through the proposal and then have had to refer to underwriters based on value.

Safeguard came in at £950

NFU Durham couldn't quote due to it being a self import - depsite the fact they quoted a ball park last year and Louth have provided a quote this year?

Caravan and Motorhome came in at £785

A Plan - couldn't provide any cover

Coversure - couldn't provide any cover

I'm tired of spending hours on the phone so won't try any more - it looks like a choice of Comfort or AIB based on cover and cost around the £600 mark and the feedback from other members.

I think the only conclusion to draw from this is that everyone needs to do their own proposals with a range of available insurers as no two are going to get the same result even with similar vehicles/risk and value.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have you tried Saga? Amongst the others I did an on-line quote from their website which was very reasonable and with all the cover I wanted. I could have just accepted it but as one of the questions (place of storage) wasn't covered I did actually ring them and got it sorted. Just be sure that the telephone quote is EXACTLY the same as the online - they managed to sneak in extra cover that I didn't really need but which did inflate the premium a tad. It was still better than Comfort though so I went with it.

Like you, by that stage I was beginning to wonder if life was worth living but I hung in there and eventually got a result.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
hi Lenny
have you ever had to be repatriated from abroad back to the uk in your motorhome

i’m not wanting to pry but i can’t see a policy costing 64 quid doing this

just a query mate and nothing bring it, just interested

once again i spent a few days trying to get some cover for a 8.8 mtr tag 5000kgs and failed miserably

luckily it’s not needed............ yet

cheers

Al
Nope, never needed to use them.
Comfort & Aib use the AA breakdown policy.

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Finally went with Comfort today - but had my eyes opened yet again!

As last quote was 5 weeks old they re-ran the details again and the premium went from £617 to £646.
Queried this and the reason they gave was I didn't declare the satellite TV value on the original. I replied that you asked had I made any changes or added additional kit and I said no as the kit was part of the factory order. Not accepted by Comfort/Aviva and must be declared separately - just adding this in case anyone else has made the same mistake.

Queried about discount for Motorhome Fun but none available but they then said that MotorhomeMadness has 5% - used code MM0003 and got the additional discount.

Finally and this as the crunch for me - asked about a mileage reduction from 10K to 8K and got a further reduction of £72. I didn't realise that the relatively low change would make such a difference to premiums!

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We're trying to sort ours now, currently with comfort but gone from about £760 last year to about £870, tried caravan club and they are only £529, difference is an extra £500 excess, and they only replace the van for the first 2 years, whereas comfort are 3, but with a 15,000 mileage limit. Called comfort but they can't increase the xs which would have probably made a big difference, trying to go with caravan club, but can't get through......

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I just went through some Insurance quotes online , as we are self Isolating and home address is my sons , and we don't know how long we are being here , it stated on 1 quote (and thats the only one that I have read the small print) that if you don't own a property , and you are 9 months in Motorhome you are classed as "Full Timing" , ( when I spoke to Brokers "Advance ". Can anybody advise what Company I should get a Insurance from ,He said you need a Full timing Policy which will be about £1000 . We don't intend camping 9 months but who knows,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I just went through some Insurance quotes online , as we are self Isolating and home address is my sons , and we don't know how long we are being here , it stated on 1 quote (and thats the only one that I have read the small print) that if you don't own a property , and you are 9 months in Motorhome you are classed as "Full Timing" , ( when I spoke to Brokers "Advance ". Can anybody advise what Company I should get a Insurance from ,He said you need a Full timing Policy which will be about £1000 . We don't intend camping 9 months but who knows,
Why not give your normal address as if you are in the van you are using it so I don't see a problem. The normal exclusion away from home is you are not covered if you leave the van unattended for more than 48 hours without informing the insurance company.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Thanks for answer, I actually went back to Safeguard, and they said you are Insured for 365 days continuous, I said I might go to my son's home sometimes, but have to park on road, that increased Policy by just over £30 to £517 .63 for a 3 year old motorhome with breakdown and European cover ,so I went for it again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back