The very best!! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Interesting question. I have always thought that it was much more likely to be stolen whist stored than during use.

Figures must be out there somewhere.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Cheers Sandra, I've been thinking about a new alarm for a while, I've just researched this Outsmart the thief one, didn't know anything about it, sounds just the job for us ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Had a minor issue with the alarm/tracker yesterday. Phoned the company that installed it (outsmart the thief) for the previous owners when the vehicle was new. They managed to resolve the problem remotely without any issues or cost to me, they even called me back rather than kept me holding on the phone. Very impressed with their customer service.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Just be careful with Peugeot/ Fiat/ Mercedes warranty issues. Several alarm companies power from or plug into the OBD port. Base manufacturers can and will refuse to honour warranties related to electrical issues as the port shouldnt be used by anything other than a technician plugging a reader into it.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Outsmart the thief don’t plug their alarms into the OBD port. They are wired and soldered into the vehicles loom, so it shouldn’t be a problem with manufactures, or dealers.

Outsmart The Thief's MD recently advised an owner on another forum to disconnect his alarm from the OBD port and also disconnect the vehicle battery for 24 hours to resolve a problem with the alarm, so unless the owner of the company doesn't know what he's talking about I think it's fair to say that at least some OSTT systems connect to the OBD port.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I watched 100% of the time when my OSTT system was being fitted two weeks ago and there was certainly no connection to the OBD port.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I'm no auto electrician, but as far as I cab see my alarm is not wired into the OBD port, although talking to my neighbour who knows a lot more about these things, apparently its okay to use the OBD port. But as Simon Howard say's, doing so could give the manufactures a convenient opt out if issue arise from another electrical source.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I'm no auto electrician, but as far as I cab see my alarm is not wired into the OBD port, although talking to my neighbour who knows a lot more about these things, apparently its okay to use the OBD port. But as Simon Howard say's, doing so could give the manufactures a convenient opt out if issue arise from another electrical source.
Thatcham approval would be invalidated if an alarm is simply plugged into a diagnostic port.

But there again, not all alarm systems can qualify for Thatcham approval anyway

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I watched 100% of the time when my OSTT system was being fitted two weeks ago and there was certainly no connection to the OBD port.
But because they aren't currently doing it, it doesn't follow that they never did!

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
But because they aren't currently doing it, it doesn't follow that they never did!
Love your logic but unfortunately it does not necessarily follow that you correct

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Love your logic but unfortunately it does not necessarily follow that you correct

So when the MD of the company tells one of his customers on a closed forum to disconnect his alarm from the OBD port to fix a problem, is he lying or not familiar with the system he has been selling and installing?

You see I read that post and several others in the thread, and I give Carl the benefit of knowing what he's talking about in relation to his products.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Its actually used to reset the system and prevent it from attack.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
irnbru I've just finished reading this thread and wanted to ask why you seem to be so invested in OSTT. It's one thing to have an opinion, but your defensive tone seems to go beyond mere satisfaction with their product??

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
irnbru I've just finished reading this thread and wanted to ask why you seem to be so invested in OSTT. It's one thing to have an opinion, but your defensive tone seems to go beyond mere satisfaction with their product??
I really don't give a damn what you think!

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I really don't give a damn what you think!
:giggler: Well, something certainly has you riled up this morning doesn't it!! I've stuck up for products I believe in before, sure, but you go way beyond that? Personally invested perhaps?? Or maybe the owner of this OSTT is a personal friend??

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
:giggler: Well, something certainly has you riled up this morning doesn't it!! I've stuck up for products I believe in before, sure, but you go way beyond that? Personally invested perhaps?? Or maybe the owner of this OSTT is a personal friend??
Or maybe you are one of the rivals. As I said already, I'm really not interested in what you think. If you've read the whole thread like you said you have, you will know that Carl cant be here to defend himself, So thats not very fair is it! Wheres the fair play in the forum when its all one sided?

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think you've got to be very careful on this forum about insinuating about"personally invested" when you observe the advert which "unexpectantly" appears at the top of this thread! Might suggest "Personal Investment" by others don't you think?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had an OSTT alarm/tracker/immobilizer fitted about 4 years ago and it has been more or less fault free since. The only niggle is the wireless switches are a bit fragile and you need to keep an eye on them in case the battery fails. The one under the roof light gets cooked in the sun and the battery lasts only a couple of years up there in my experience.

The VanBitz systems are I think the best but the OSTT is a credible alternative. I live only an hour or so from VanBitz but I chose OSTT instead, but then I did want it fitted in August before we left for a trip to Sicily. :)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Or maybe you are one of the rivals. As I said already, I'm really not interested in what you think. If you've read the whole thread like you said you have, you will know that Carl cant be here to defend himself, So thats not very fair is it! Wheres the fair play in the forum when its all one sided?
I'm an English teacher, so unless you feel that somehow means I am a competitor to either company I don't really see any connection? I did indeed read that Carl was a member here who got banned for some reason? I was not a member of this forum at that time (I think??) so I have no personal knowledge of what happened and so will not comment on it. Genuine question though...if this Carl was banned as a personal member, has he also been forbidden as registering an account here as a trader using his company name?

I think you've got to be very careful on this forum about insinuating about"personally invested" when you observe the advert which "unexpectantly" appears at the top of this thread! Might suggest "Personal Investment" by others don't you think?

I don't really see what you mean? If a company has applied here as a trader and has paid for advertising then why should it be a suprise to anyone that their advert appears?? I used the term 'personally invested' as it could cover financial investment, time investment or even emotional investment. From his actions it seems to me that irnbru is indeed invested in one of those ways. He doesn't care what I think of course, which is his absolute right, I was just curious if he was given his very strong defence of the man and the product.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
From his actions it seems to me that @irnbru is indeed invested in one of those ways. He doesn't care what I think of course, which is his absolute right, I was just curious if he was given his very strong defence of the man and the product.
So you are a sexist teacher then, you should know better! More like a MCP. :ROFLMAO:

. Genuine question though...if this Carl was banned as a personal member, has he also been forbidden as registering an account here as a trader using his company name?
Why don't you ask Carl himself if you are so interested.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
So you are a sexist teacher then, you should know better!

I hope that I am not sexist, however you are absolutely right that my either A - assuming you were malke or B - using as a preference the male pronoun, was completely wrong and I would like to ask you to accept my apologies.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I hope that I am not sexist, however you are absolutely right that my either A - assuming you were malke or B - using as a preference the male pronoun, was completely wrong and I would like to ask you to accept my apologies.
Ok fair enough! You accept you are wrong regarding gender . Hopefully you will go a little further in accepting its not wrong to stick up for the underdog as it seems to be on here considering they cant talk for themselves. Does it mean a trader on fun really Is the best or do funsters really not want to speak out against the sacred? Because they are traders? I'm not one to follow sheep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back