LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This chap Carl eats, sleeps and lives, so cannot do what you are suggesting 24/7. I expect his Gemini based alarm system works fine. I have no idea, as I don’t have one fitted. My now 12 year old van came with a Strikeback alarm that only partly worked, so I can do something about that or not as I choose. So. I have no preference here.
My question to you about the tracker he uses was: is it as easily electronically found or overcome as some or most commercial trackers are? Which of course renders them useless if discovered.

As already replied to you, any particular Qs you have why not ask direct for the best answer. Ive given you the phone number. He really is very approachable and will tell you all you need to know.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I was asking you, not him. The questions, opinions etc are on here, not the end of a phone line.
Alarms have some or all of a number of functions of course: lights to discourage, noise to frighten away, sensors to detect when inside or trying to move your pride and joy, immobilisers to stop it starting and sometimes trackers to see where it is when the above has failed. They vary how they achieve that. Trackers now appear to be very easily overcome. Hence my question.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
This chap Carl eats, sleeps and lives, so cannot do what you are suggesting 24/7. I expect his Gemini based alarm system works fine. I have no idea, as I don’t have one fitted. My now 12 year old van came with a Strikeback alarm that only partly worked, so I can do something about that or not as I choose. So. I have no preference here.
My question to you about the tracker he uses was: is it as easily electronically found or overcome as some or most commercial trackers are? Which of course renders them useless if discovered.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Carl has other that work for him, BUT, so far every time I’ve balls’d up and set it off, or miss-used it, it has be Carl that has personally dealt with it/me.

If you have a problem or question phone the uk company 24hrs a day, 7days a week, even Christmas Day and you will talk to some who knows what they are talking about and can control your alarm and immobiliser remotely. It’s not two different systems that require multiple phone centres, or multiple contracts, just one point of contact that is always there. Phone them and try it.

As far as I know it is as good as the best trackers currently available, and if it is interfered with in any way it will stop the engine, even if the vehicle is running and being driven, it just requires the vehicle to be stationary for a short period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I was asking you, not him. The questions, opinions etc are on here, not the end of a phone line.
Alarms have some or all of a number of functions of course: lights to discourage, noise to frighten away, sensors to detect when inside or trying to move your pride and joy, immobilisers to stop it starting and sometimes trackers to see where it is when the above has failed. They vary how they achieve that. Trackers now appear to be very easily overcome. Hence my question.
Hmm:unsure: So you would rather listen to hearsay online than ask from the horses mouth. How strange!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Because our Shadow tracking system is Thatcham approved, so acceptable by any insurance company we have to use an independent monitoring centre.

Our “Non Starter” is user controlled 24/7 for immobilisation, tracking, monitoring and alarm control, via Apps on phones and tablets.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline

The way I worked out what I wanted was to think of it that the vehicle is impossible to make secure, it has plastic windows and flimsy doors. So no point trying to stop them entering it. Then comes the decision when they are inside what do I want to happen and that is what swayed me to OTT.

It is also cheaper than the vanbitz system when including tracker, two days of missing work due to having it fitted, camping fees, fuel, and feeding the wife. Carl also did me a deal on items which further helped.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Thatcham approved equals money off insurance. It does not make the best alarm. I just means that it complies to some companies rules.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thatcham approved equals money off insurance. It does not make the best alarm. I just means that it complies to some companies rules.
I don't think thatcham have moved with the times. What might've been great in the 90s isn't so great now with all the modern technology around.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Never having heard of OTT until reading this thread, I looked them up and notice they include a tracking function. Is that like any other tracker we see advertised? Is so, can it be electronically discovered and then disabled?
From my basic reading if the OSTT tracker is found and tampered with it will alert the control centre and we know they are on the ball (y) , if it is removed or disabled it will prevent the starting of the vehicle so it should still be where you left it, OK if it's on the back of a truck you won't know where but that must go for any tracker.

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No, but if it is a condition of Insurance the owners have no choice.

I don't think thatcham have moved with the times. What might've been great in the 90s isn't so great now with all the modern technology around.
That is simply untrue.

1580461447757.png

We are forever updating our equipment to take into account the latest Thatcham requirements.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Lets not also forget the invalidated warranty is there is an ECU problem and something is found to be plugged into the OBD port.
As a franchised dealer groups, we make sure nothing is EVER plugged in or used from the OBD unless its one of our technicians diagnostic machines.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Lets not also forget the invalidated warranty is there is an ECU problem and something is found to be plugged into the OBD port.
As a franchised dealer groups, we make sure nothing is EVER plugged in or used from the OBD unless its one of our technicians diagnostic machines.
Invalidated warranty of what?

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Invalidated warranty of what?
If there was an issue with the ECU and something was found to be stuck in the OBD port then a manufacturer could easily justify that that part could have effected the ECU and ergo not pay on the warranty.
Same with remapping a vehicle. If the engine goes bang and they realise the vehicle has been remapped then they won't sort it under warranty as that part of the vehicle is being used in a way that it was not originally built for.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Sorry , That hasn't answered my Q.
Sorry I thought I had made it clear.
Any third party accessory that is fitted that wasn't buy a supplying dealer won't be covered under warranty. So it comes down to either the dealer fitting the accessories or a third party putting it right if something goes wrong.
With regards to the base vehicle. If you buy a Bailey for instance and the gear box breaks, it won't be down to Bailey, it will be down to Peugeot and they will fix it under the 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.
Say a vehicle comes back to Peugeot with an ECU fault and the OBD port has something plugged into it powering/ communicating with the ECU then Peugeot would have every right to not cover that as that "Device" could be the reason the ECU has started playing up.
I can't explain it any clearer? :unsure:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Thank you Simon, yes thats much clearer but would only be valid IF the vehicle had a warranty.
Ultimately whether you go VB of OTT, both have good reviews. I don't sell alarms in my dealership but I have the luxury of having Vanbitz based 2 miles away, I am yet to hear negatives with any work and the reputation they have is amazing. (Plus before anyone mentions I obviously have family connections there) But I once looked at alarms and accessories and its a pain in the ass. Half of them are car alarms, hardly any are Thatcham (Which I am sure when buying a brand new van over £50,000 me saying to a customer don't worry about a tracker or alarm that's Thatcham would go down well!) Also a big insurance requirement with most insurers now is that any vans over £50,000 have to have a Thatcham tracker.
It is a total mine field. We get so many vans in and out of our workshops and there are "Amazing" products Alarms, Regulators etc etc out there until you open the plastic "Brain" box and realise its total tosh!
Plus I know that:
A - Vanbitz have a reputation for making/ installing a great product
B - If something does go wrong with the system they will jump on it and sort it

Those 2 reasons save me grief! I dread the phone call. It normally comes through to Sales (Not after sales) It goes:
Customer - "Hello Simon"
Me - "Hello xxxxx"
Customer - "Simon I have a problem with my alarm/ kettle/ toaster/ wiring loom"
Me - OK, if you want me to transfer you through to our technical department they can probably talk you through it if not they will get you booked in.
Customer - Its ok, whilst your on the phone, maybe you could help.
Me - I probably can't I have a limited knowledge but our techs are very good.
Customer - Well I will try you anyway. My toilet isnt working so I have stripped the wires back under the bonnet. What is the green and purple cable for and what doe it feed back into?
This is an example..... phone call normally lasts for about an hour. We are then expected to try and get the problem (After Mr Customer has messed around with it) through warranty.

I literally get one of those phone calls a day. As a GOOD dealer, we will always try and help as I will always try and help, but having products that will just work 99.9% of the time is the main reason Vanbitz get my vote. I also know its Vanbitz fitting every system not a mobile fitter or an apprentice tech in some back street dealership.

Simon

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
(I‘m sure at some point Carl will have a day off, and a member of his staff will step in, but he doesn’t appear to yet in my experience)
He might have had a day off yesterday as a female phoned me about 15 seconds after I set my alarm off by mistake. ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
With regards to the base vehicle. If you buy a Bailey for instance and the gear box breaks, it won't be down to Bailey, it will be down to Peugeot and they will fix it under the 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.
Say a vehicle comes back to Peugeot with an ECU fault and the OBD port has something plugged into it powering/ communicating with the ECU then Peugeot would have every right to not cover that as that "Device" could be the reason the ECU has started playing up.
I can't explain it any clearer? :unsure:

Would they though as type approval seems to say that the OBD port should be available to after market and live in motion, so I would have thought that the likes of FIAT/Peugeot would have to prove their case.

Interesting read when it's raining outside.

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Irrespective of that, it is stupid to plug an alarm into a OBD port that is so easily accessible.

Great for the fitter, as are wireless contacts and sensors, making an installation easy and cheap but at nowhere near as good as a wired system

Same with cameras, CCTV, Internet banking, battery over mains

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Would they though as type approval seems to say that the OBD port should be available to after market and live in motion, so I would have thought that the likes of FIAT/Peugeot would have to prove their case.

Interesting read when it's raining outside.

Martin

That is a provision to ensure continuing aftermarket access to on-board diagnostics and repair procedures. The primary EU legislation is also proposing locking down the connector in such a way that unauthorised reprogramming of the vehicle, e.g. to alter emissions related systems such as by remapping, will be prevented.

It doesn't cover unauthorised connection to or manipulation of vehicle systems by non-approved devices. Not that I'm saying that OSTT or any other alarm system is in that category, but the vehicle manufacturer is entirely within their rights to decline service or warranty where an unapproved device has been connected which could be related to a problem that has developed.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If wireless stuff is so bad why are all these systems controlled by a wireless remote? So much stuff these days is wireless and trouble free. There are actually less issues in properties with wireless alarm systems than wired. I’m sure most of use are reading this forum via a wireless system.

All the outsmart detectors have warning lights on them so you can always see they are working, and it fault checks every time it is used.

Thousands of vehicles are and have been stolen with thatcham approved security stuff on them.

My OTT alarm unit is soldered into the vehicle loom, NOT just plugged into the OBD PORT

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If I was Carl I’d be having a good wee chuckle here. Not having to pay for a banner above each alarm thread or having to reply to threads, but getting publicity for nowt ...and let’s face it any publicity is good publicity. :giggler::giggler:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If wireless stuff is so bad why are all these systems controlled by a wireless remote? So much stuff these days is wireless and trouble free. There are actually less issues in properties with wireless alarm systems than wired. I’m sure most of use are reading this forum via a wireless system.

All the outsmart detectors have warning lights on them so you can always see they are working, and it fault checks every time it is used.

Thousands of vehicles are and have been stolen with thatcham approved security stuff on them.

My OTT alarm unit is soldered into the vehicle loom, NOT just plugged into the OBD PORT

Thirty quid!

Which is why we don’t use em

Takes longer, cost a bit more, but wired is much better

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As mentioned before. There is no point thinking your van can not be entered. Even this forum has shown a slight lady wearing just a bath towel using butter knife can gain entry. They are just plastic boxes with holes in them. There will always be away around these systems and that is why you need multiple layers. Forcing any of my doors locks will trigger my alarm, even using the vehicle remote to unlock the doors will trigger the alarm and immobiliser. It is not just reliant on the door contact.

Strange that Thatcham approve of wireless equipment if they are so weak, and Thatcham are so good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back