The urban myth of Brownhills dispelled (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have heard so much in the past regarding Brownhills and I now suspect it is another of the urban myths that grow up,possibly around just one odd bad deal that gets blown out of proportion due to accessability to the web.

We have just picked up our new Rapido from their Durham branch and they gave us a deal on our caravan trade in that was between £3 and £4k keener than the opposition for a similar van.

Whilst up there picking it up I cannot think of a single thing they could have done to improve upon their service, it was just first class.

We have been in the van now for four nights and fiddled with everything and not found a single fault

Would i buy from them again-----Yes

Would I recommend to a friend----Yes

Pictured below is the van parked up on a Caravan and Camping club CLS site just outside Buroughbridge, at the side of the A1 and at the far end are North Yorkshire Club in the seperate rally field

Attachments

• minskip 001 (Medium) (800x600).jpg
    minskip 001 (Medium) (800x600).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 135
  • minskip 003 (Medium) (800x600).jpg
    minskip 003 (Medium) (800x600).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 102

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
There is always good and bad stories

I have found there is always good and bad stories.

Bob:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's good news. And you're a motorhomer again :roflmto: There have been some positive stories about the company of late. :thumb: Alan, please leave a review Link Removed at our dealer review section. The more reviews the more valuable a resource it will become. Thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am pleased you finally have a motorhome again Alan and trust the extra size makes life much easier for you. When will we see you in the west country I wonder?

I am guessing its the percentage of good over bad that counts. Bearing in mind of course the good seldom shout about it. Also to be concidered are the different branches of the same company and different management teams over time.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I'm chuffed to monkeys for you, and for Brownhills too.

Jim makes a valid point about being a valid resource..........anyway, four nights and you haven't found time to update your 'little about me', too busy playing and admiring I expect........nice van.

....All the breast....Griff :thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Brownhills

Glad you are pleased and may you have many happy years with your Rapido.

We bought our Rapido 9048 new from Brownhills at Newark in 2008. They cave us a good deal on extras and as far as the sale was concerned we were happy and had no complaints.

Aftersales and servicing was another story. Very shoddy work done, i.e. our boiler has a new element inserted but was then held together with gaffer tape (I kid you not) Brownhils claimed it was already like it, which was difficult to accept since it was a year old at that stage and they were the only people who had ever touched it. I know for certain is was not in that state when they took it in for service.

There were other really shoddy incompetent bits of work which meant that the repaired items were worse than before the wrok was done done and so I reached a point where I would not trust them to wash it.

I think it was the "technicians" who were under trained and unskilled, togehter with little or no quality control that was the probem. Poor devils were probably on minimum wages.

Suffice to say we would not go near Brownhills Newark again but perhaps things have improved now and I hope your have no such problems.

There are many bad stories about Brownhills and to be fair, some good one too. I hope your experience remains positive.

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
if i was you i would take it for a damp test as i got a van from brown hills and when i told them this van as damp they told me it had a damp test so i took the van for a damp test and it need £2000 to put it right which brown hills paid plus the gear box had a problem with revers gear they told me there's nothing wrong with it so took van to Peugeot that need £2000 to put that right which brown hills had to pay would i buy from brown hill again never

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Liking the new van Alan...Nice to know you are back with the Motorhoming fraternity...Yes I must say the van "Looks Mint" to quote the common vernacular....The weather looks good up in Gods country too..(That's YORKSHIRE for those that ain't too sure)..I certainly hope that should you require any shall we say help from Brownhills they step up to the plate as it were....Enjoy Alan ..Enjoy!!!

Didn't Baldwins in Halifax have anything to sway you then???

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think Brownhills started pulling them selves out of the hole some time ago..
Must be about this time last year that we first saw very positive reports of the 'Brownhills Experience'

I seem to remember at the time folk were saying exactly the same as they are now..

Just goes to show

When they were not doing well in the customer care stakes everyone seemed to remember every last incident ..

Must be at least a year ago someone their decided to turn it round and the reports of excellence have not been blighted with a single negative report..

Yet few people seem to remember any of the reported good stuff !!

No idea who Brownhills took on but who ever it was, they aint paying them enough !!

Got to be the turn around of the century ( ok ok.,.. so we are not THAT far in to the century but hey, still a damned fine result ! :thumb: )

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Hi Alan and Lynda

Looks a great van and delighted that you are happy with it. When are you coming to see us in the borders?

Kath & Howie

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I'm booked in for a second service on my Hymer,the first was done in Preston,closer to home. I am en route to Norfolk for the Jubilee. I booked it in before the other agents were appointed.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Glad your pleased - enjoy - hope to catch up some time :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Looks a lovely van, bet you are going around with a smile on your face, good when a plan comes together.

Are you going to any Fun meets, this year.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Perhaps Brownhills are OK now - it is a different company from the one that earned - justifiably I think - such a bad reputation.

I never bought from them but I did try twice. First time because I was leaning towards a factory order, they said factory orders were not a priority for them and effectively told me to go elsewhere, so I did. Second time, a couple of years later, having viewed a van I liked I rang them to get a quote. I rang 3 times, could not get through to the salesman left messages and they never called back. So I wrote them off.

Would I try them again? Not sure, if their good reports keep coming then maybe in the future.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Just looked at the picture and I think your van is the same as ours - a 7090df??

We have had ours for over a year and have been pleased with it. So far it has taken us to Italy, to Portugal, and I am posting this from Norway. The van has coped well with all weathers and many different road conditions.

Do we have any gripes? Well, nothing too serious. The 3 burner hob is a bit "tight" and all 3 can only be used with small pans. The washbasin and shower drains are very sensitive to the angle of the van - if at all nose down they don't drain well at all.

I find it annoying that the rear speaker broadcasts noise from the mike in the rear camera whenever the radio is on.

But the van is extremely comfortable and we really like the island bed, underfloor storage etc.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
congratulations on your new motorhome
it is a bit too white at the front for my liking but its not mine :roflmto:
enjoy it whilst you can.