LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've seen nothing recent from them that would tempt me to part with any money .

I get it now, your original phrase looked like it was a pure downer on Triumph.

Same goes for me really. If they produced a 675 adventure style bike, comfortable for a man of a certain age I'd definitely be testing one. A cracking engine with enough power for the real world. It would murder the very popular Tracer 700, which I am very fond of.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Nothing. Just my opinion.

I've seen nothing recent from them that would tempt me to part with any money with the possible exception of the new bobber but having seen one up close, although I haven't ridden one, I have a strong suspicion that it's style over substance. It would have to be very very good and I'm not so sure it is
Try the Bobber, for a solo ride it is a blast and if you hang off it can hustle along like a good un around the bends. Against a HD it's a very different beast, that engine is sooooo strong. It ain't for everyone but it's selling well and that's a good indicator.
You may be surprised,

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Try the Bobber, for a solo ride it is a blast and if you hang off it can hustle along like a good un around the bends. Against a HD it's a very different beast, that engine is sooooo strong. It ain't for everyone but it's selling well and that's a good indicator.
You may be surprised,

Not really interested enough to take one out. I quite like the styling but that’s about as far as it goes.

And HD? :rofl::rofl: Not in this lifetime. I can’t be doing with rebuilding the engine every 50 miles and cleaning oil off my garage flooor every morning (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I hate the GS
Strong words. I can honestly say I don’t and have never hated any motorcycle, or scooter for that matter in the last 44 years of owning and riding them. I’ve even had a couple of Harley’s for a while but couldn’t get on with the excess weight, poor brakes and suspension, loved the engine. I’d like to have a Ducati sports but just know my wrist would be killing me in a couple of miles, broke it in a simple non bike related accident aged 13.
I’m on my third GS, first one in 2006, the servo brakes got on my wick, part ex for a new 58 reg then had the midlife Harley crisis in 2010, Dynaglide and Fatboy.
Going back to my current 2011 Triple Black just felt so right, it suits me perfectly and does everything I want it to do.
Had loads of bikes over the years and never hated any of them or any I’ve tested/ridden.
The only thing I could hate is how expensive some of them are now.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I’ve even had a couple of Harley’s for a while but couldn’t get on with the excess weight, poor brakes and suspension, loved the engine

Really? Not even many of the most fanatical real die hard Hardly fans can say that and keep a straight face.

Try either of the Polaris marques or pretty much any of the Yank Metrics. (y):D2

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Really? Not even many of the most fanatical real die hard Hardly fans can say that and keep a straight face.

Try either of the Polaris marques or pretty much any of the Yank Metrics. (y):D2
My only experience of Harley engines was the Twin cam 96, a and b, and they were both smooth, flexible with great low down pulling power, really nice feel. Great engine for cruising and going a bit brisker, though not for going really fast. Don’t know about previous incarnations. The gearbox was also very precise and smooth.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My only experience of Harley engines was the Twin cam 96, a and b, and they were both smooth, flexible with great low down pulling power, really nice feel. Great engine for cruising and going a bit brisker, though not for going really fast. Don’t know about previous incarnations. The gearbox was also very precise and smooth.

:Eeek:

Ah sorry. I didn’t realise you were one of those.

I suppose Hardly engines are really reliable and never drop oil everywhere. :rolleyes:

Carry on (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jaws ... answer the questions please

What questions ? Will try and answer anything that is asked.. Now I know you actually work at Triumph I fully understand your stance and commend your loyalty

@Jaws my neighbour is a senior bod at Triumph, he flies on a regular basis to Thailand. I wonder if it be worth mentioning it to him?

Mention it by all means Shifty, but I am no longer interested in anything said mate.. I suspect the reaction might be similar to that of Vansflyer though... if not it should be...Loyalty again

A few years ago I would hear nothing agin Honda for a similar reason

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Was that the one Porsche designed for them ?
No, as Jaws said, that was the V Rod. The Twin cam 96 is theirs, part of the Evolution thing. Nice engine and box, just couldn’t get on with the weight, poor suspension and brakes. Plus the whole HOG thing is not for me. Just got back from a three hour ride on the GS to remind me how good that is.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
am i the only one on here who has no idea what you guys are on about?:(

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’m just so glad that I went to the cinema this afternoon.:D;);)

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I've posted before that I own a 2012 Triumph Explorer and one of the new Africa Twins, the Triumph has no corrosion except on the mirror stems, it's used all year round, the 2016 AT already shows some signs of blistering on engine coatings and is my " fair weather " bike. In my honest opinion all makes are now built with components from around the world that quality control has suffered, presumably this is to keep the price down. If I was cynical I may even think it was to improve profit margins !

Most of us ride for pleasure so let's just enjoy being on two wheels - whatever our chosen brand.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
That’s as maybe but you do seem to be a nosy bugger though! :D2
Oh! Be careful. You’re not allowed to call me names!
Actually it may just be that I’m a tiny bit jealous. Only motorbike I ever had was a Triumph Tiger Cub. Heap of crap.....or maybe it was the rider,as I fell off it several times and have the scars to prove it. That was over 40 years ago. Ha!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Last time I saw him @edgy was running an Africa twin auto. But it did suffer grip problems in the snow.

I’ve read a few reports of the auto clutch randomly engaging at the worst possible moment. Possibly an early glitch that they’ve dealt with I suppose.

Other than that it seems to be a great bike.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I’ve read a few reports of the auto clutch randomly engaging.

I read a worse case. Setting off, handful of throttle, clutch disengages, revs peak, clutch engages. Took them 5 hours to saw off his knickers.

Auto clutch and electric throttle, you are certainly in the hands of a bunch of transistors.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Oh! Be careful. You’re not allowed to call me names!
Actually it may just be that I’m a tiny bit jealous. Only motorbike I ever had was a Triumph Tiger Cub. Heap of crap.....or maybe it was the rider,as I fell off it several times and have the scars to prove it. That was over 40 years ago. Ha!

Ah, the truth comes out eh. Feigning disinterest!

Ian

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
My Africa Twin is a manual, didn't really fancy the auto even though you can still change gear. You can appreciate the twin engine more with the manual - in my opinion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back