The 'Tranny' goes Stateside.. (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Now that is what you call a real engine.. bags or power.... smooth as glass..

Ford may be Ford.. but the tranist will nver stack up to an econoline E150 or the bigger brothers.. the engine is real class and will pull anything. It is bad new that you see the Sprinter being re badged as an International in the USA and then converted to a RV.. not the same as a real American van.. even the Dodge Rams are better than the mercs or the British tranny. Ownered them in the past and hated them.. not that keen on the Iveco either, again had them ... large payload, but not the most exciting vehicle in the world.

Bob
Hi Bob why on earth do you want a M/H to be the most exiting vehicle in the world ::bigsmile:It all depends on what you are stacking up against what- Inside the larger Transits and Ivecos are a lot bigger than the Econoline and return more than twice/three times the MPG -if you get the bigger engined vans then there is plenty of power but admittedly no contest with the big thirsty V8 AND V10s ::bigsmile: Then again I had a Dodge hemi 5.7 ltr pick up which although had loads of grunt it handled no better than the Iveco or Tranny and if truth be known it was not that much faster once they were all rolling but you had to stir the stick against the smooth auto.Handling was about the same with perhaps the tranny being the best-So apart from a big gas guzzling engine what do you think is better ?
Put in a nut shell the Tranny is lighter/bigger inside and handles better,returns more than twice the mpg and pulls along at a acceptable pace :thumb: as opposed to the yank being heavier,smaller inside and piss poor mpg :Eeek: the only thing it has going for it is the massive pulling power.It is all a trade off -power = less mpg or more mpg = less power ::bigsmile: Which is the more acceptable ? Over here more mpg - over there power ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi terry ,well never mind its a shame as its a real good fun trip.
havent had a go in that 5cyl trannie but it does sound nice.
just had a load of info on the new daily . they seem to be getting better, not too sure on this lecccy one . i know in china buses and trucks are using leccy and have been for awhile. we are way behind in western europe.
the new 7ton iveco daily is going to be a nice base for campers .
they are still using the 40c17 as the artic and still gives a train of 8700kg so ideal for 5ers .
the 70c17 would make a good one with a 10500kg train. its kerb weight is only 2600kg so ideal for down plating to 3,500gvw as a unit. i think we shall see lots more of them soon

Cheers Alan,I was always up to date on cars and vans until about 6 yrs ago-lost interest/stopped buying mags :ROFLMAO:I now rely on the papers and links on here :thumb:
I know that ford went in development with PUG/Cit for a diesel engine for vans a few years ago but never followed it up to find out which engine went / goes in which van.Again trannys always had the good 2.5 td which changed to the bad 2.4s and now 2.2 and 2 ltrs :ROFLMAO::winky:The IVECO always had a good 2.5 2.8 / 3 ltr soffin engines which found it way into Renaults and although only 4 cyl give the 5 cly mercs and vws a good run for power- only driven one of the 2.3 hpi's and that too was mighty impressive for the size :thumb:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. i,m lucky i have ford /iveco and merc /mitsubishi main dealers at the end of my road .the vw dealer in the next village .they drop me info in because of my vw history. the iveco crowd drop them in as i have helped build afew artics . but i also visit alot of the factories when away in the winter. quite amazing how many have factories in portugal and morocco. 2 yrs ago we took a toyota triple cab 4x4 dyna truck on their test track in portugal. makes interesting days out. toyota gb didnt even know that toyota made them .we just knock their doors and you can get tours of the factories . they love to show you around .better to have friends when travelling abroad ,never know when might need help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I just cannot see the Yanks buying one

bit of a willy waving comp going on in this thread,mine is bigger than your's sort of thing:RollEyes:

Nothing to do with Willy waving Chris.. Just cannot see a yank buying a Tranny.. they have plenty of small to mid size trucks .. the big engine is needed considering the distance they can travel... unlike in the UK when it is a 600 mile by 150 mile box.. the USA is much bigger ..the UK can fit in to Texas five and half times... the UK tranny is not built for the USA.. I still say you need a more powerful engine, let alone chassis and ford do that all the way in the USA from the E150 through to the E450 and the other ranges they offer.

Just a case of horses for course and not willy wagging as you describe it.

Bob:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but the yanks did and still do buy lots of vw campers . now its only a 1400cc motor.
millions of 1600and 2000cc vans sold in the states.
the best bit is peterbilt use the lyland daf 45 as one of theirs and rebadge it. nice one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nothing to do with Willy waving Chris.. Just cannot see a yank buying a Tranny.. they have plenty of small to mid size trucks .. the big engine is needed considering the distance they can travel... unlike in the UK when it is a 600 mile by 150 mile box.. the USA is much bigger ..the UK can fit in to Texas five and half times... the UK tranny is not built for the USA.. I still say you need a more powerful engine, let alone chassis and ford do that all the way in the USA from the E150 through to the E450 and the other ranges they offer.

Just a case of horses for course and not willy wagging as you describe it.

Bob:Doh:

I think it is more to do with the price of fuel :thumb:For years they have paid next to nothing so do not bother how much it costs.Indeed yrs ago (my last time there) they thought us brits were mad at paying nearly £4 a gallon and could not see how we managed to run a car :Eeek:Now I do not know how much a gallon of fuel is over there(-probably close to $2 a gallon-) so they are starting to realise that a smaller engine has economy advantages :thumb:The fact that the distances they need to travel has nothing to do with the engine size,after all although big distances may be done they only pootle around at 60 mph which almost every car made/sold here can do day in day out.
The japs and Koreans have shown them that small/economical can also mean reliable :thumb:Even the big yank makers are now perusing a economy route on which to sell cars--suddenly 30/40mpg is a lot better than 10/12mpg :winky: so the new Tranny with a small engine (in yank terms) may well prove a winner for ford
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back