The traditional towel is dead. (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I must be very thick as I fail to understand how these towels work so well.
So,you have a shower,you let some of the water drip off you,then you apply said towel to your body. So....the water that was on you is now on your towel.
In order to dry said towel you must now put it somewhere where the water will evaporate.
That's the same for any towel isn't it? Well,obviously not,but can someone explain it to me please.
Pod
I guess "wooly" towels seem to dry slower as the water soaks deep inside them and when you hang them up the air flows over the surface, drying the tips of the fibres but leaving some water deeper inside which is effectively sheltered from the drying air.
You could do a trial. Tip a bucket of water over an un-shorn sheep and another bucket over one which has just been shorn. Stand them side by side in a field and see which dries faster.
Avoid doing this anywhere public as it may invite undeserved comment. :) The public never understand the sacrifices which must be made to advance human understanding. :)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Microfibre all the way for us. Invested a large amount (for us) 8 years ago so all our towels are microfibre and what a good investment it was. Dry quickly from soaking, easy to wash, really absorbant and ours definitely do not attract bits when dropped compared to normal towels. We are still using them daily.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Yeuk! Can't stand microfibre towels can't rub, so you dab and you are still damp, moist and cold. Give me a lovely thick cotton towel every time. The microfibre ones are good as bath ats and for wiping down the shower. But other than that they are horrible!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have to agree. I don't like the feel of microfiber towels, much nicer to have a proper cotton one. They dry OK on the towel rack in the washroom, or better still outside when its warm and sunny (if it's not warm and sunny go somewhere where it is :))

Reactions: Pia
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've had microfibre in the past , but now have the suede micro . Totally different feel. You don't think they are even going to work , but they do.
In fact I bought some new ones from Aldi a couple of weeks ago.
So much cheaper than the ones from a camping shop! They dry skin so quickly . We Swear by them. I still use my microfibre turban thing for my hair. I keep it on for quite a while. Then it doesn't take as long to blow dry my hair.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
And still I wait for a scientific,logical,clever,explanation.
But,to those who have replied.thanks.
All I want to do is.......understand how they work.

Maybe I should just go back to the tree,and sit beneath it.

Others may understand.
Goodnight...

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Many thanks to @Hettie's Crew and Mel @Minxy Girl for the link for these towels, ours were delivered yesterday used them last night and very pleased. (y)
I think our last ones must be 6 years old, :eek: but we love them, light and dry quick. (y) Bob and Janie.

Ps Should add Janie has the head towel, and I can see the old ones made into dog bags. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks to @Hettie's Crew and Mel @Minxy Girl for the link for these towels
(y)

Just to let you know the Mountain Warehouse stores ( and online ) have reduced their prices - yesterday we bought some suede ones in Castle Point, Bournemouth...giant size reduced from £26.99 to £8.99 , medium reduced from £16.99 to £5.99 , large reduced from £19.99 to £7.99 , and there were non suede ones reduced from £16.99 to £3.99 . Not all the items had reduced labels on them but at the reduction came up on the till. We used them last night and are impressed - so small to store - they should be called Tardis towels (y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
(y)

Just to let you know the Mountain Warehouse stores ( and online ) have reduced their prices - yesterday we bought some suede ones in Castle Point, Bournemouth...giant size reduced from £26.99 to £8.99 , medium reduced from £16.99 to £5.99 , large reduced from £19.99 to £7.99 , and there were non suede ones reduced from £16.99 to £3.99 . Not all the items had reduced labels on them but at the reduction came up on the till. We used them last night and are impressed - so small to store - they should be called Tardis towels (y)

That's great!
But HOW do they work??
I keep asking,but nobody knows,or perhaps they don't care,sob,sob,sob:cry::cry:.
Now, I realise that it's not essential to know how everyfink works ( my missus comes to mind:D). But surely there's a funster who knows?
Why do they dry so quickly? Where does the water go?
Surely it's more interesting than watching the football:LOL:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
(y)

If you're a member of CCC you can claim an additional discount on these prices

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
If you're a member of CCC you can claim an additional discount on these prices

It's also available for Caravan Club members too. 15% off. Just tried it and it applies to the sale items too.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
But HOW do they work??
I keep asking,but nobody knows,or perhaps they don't care,sob,sob,sob:cry::cry:.

Late reply I know [but have the flu and time to peruse the Odd Thread] Microfibre cloth is incredibly 'loopy' hence the horrible texture; but this means it has a huge area for the water molecules to evaporate from so it dries faster. Imagine a tall glass full of water- this would take ages to evaporate as it has only got a small surface area- pour the same amount of water into a tray- evaporation will go quicker; spread it over a large area and it under same conditions it will evaporate even faster. Please stop crying now you are wetting the towels xx

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We add another towel into the equation first, we both have a chamois like swimming towel that you can wash out whilst under the shower so it's warm, wring it out and then dry yourself with it, wring it out again and it rolls up damp in a supplied tube, this takes off 75% of the water, then just use a microfibre towel to dry completely, that way there's no damp towels hanging around. We use the same system for our dogs if they get wet, they have their own set it and it saves loads of time and towels

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Late reply I know [but have the flu and time to peruse the Odd Thread] Microfibre cloth is incredibly 'loopy' hence the horrible texture; but this means it has a huge area for the water molecules to evaporate from so it dries faster. Imagine a tall glass full of water- this would take ages to evaporate as it has only got a small surface area- pour the same amount of water into a tray- evaporation will go quicker; spread it over a large area and it under same conditions it will evaporate even faster. Please stop crying now you are wetting the towels xx

Thanks. Your explanation does seem plausible,and you're a female which obviously means you are right. And you've got a Hymer so you must be special. Perhaps you are a scientist or maybe a schoolteacher,which is why your explanation is so clear. Or,you might be one of those people who is just good at everything,and knows all the answers.
By the way,what's a molecule?
Thanks
Podney
P.S. I have now decided that,henceforth,they shall be known as loopy towels. :D;)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Why Mr Podney I IS a scientist ( I am assuming you are Mr as Podney is a boys name) and thank you for nice wordsxx. The Hymer , like me is elderly ,we are all special in own way and many nice people on this forum very special. Any cry for help or information will see you richly replied to xx A molecule is a teeny tiny bit of a thing made of smaller things. They vibrate xxx

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
The only microfibre towels I've tried seem to have a slightly slimy slippery feel to them which I dont like.Are any of them different?

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Been using microfibres towels for years bought from Decathlon, 6 euros a bath size towel. Lovely choice of colours and since last year choice of flat type or fluffy type.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Proper thick cotton towels and a heated towel rail.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Proper thick cotton towels and a heated towel rail.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Sorry, I blame my 1.5G connection here at Twin Lakes. :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We chose the hand towel size, which is big enough to get dried with after a shower. I used the sponge to take the thick off then dried with the microfibre. I gave the towel a bit of a blow with the hair dryer and now all I have back at the motor home is a slightly damp small towel.

Why not just give yourself a bit of a blow with the hair dryer and cut out the towel altogether?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Been using microfibres towels for years bought from Decathlon, 6 euros a bath size towel. Lovely choice of colours and since last year choice of flat type or fluffy type.
Same here the microfiber towels from Declathon 95% as good as a terry towel, but they dry overnight even in winter.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We're also cotton towel fans... but we have micro fibre towels and doggy bags for the pooches. They are very good.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Why Mr Podney I IS a scientist ( I am assuming you are Mr as Podney is a boys name) and thank you for nice wordsxx. The Hymer , like me is elderly ,we are all special in own way and many nice people on this forum very special. Any cry for help or information will see you richly replied to xx A molecule is a teeny tiny bit of a thing made of smaller things. They vibrate xxx
You IS a scientist and I IS a Mr. How do you know Podney is a boys name? It started as a Pod,and metamorphosis turned it into Podney. I suppose if I was a girl it would be Podette or Podlums.
So,molecules vibrate,no wonder they are always smiling.;)
Pod

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I used to have a school teacher who took the class swimming, dried himself with a hankie (it was a mansize one):LOL:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Was he a Wee man too?
Or do you mean the hanky was 6 feet tall and 2 feet wide

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun