Jan 4, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi All,

we're a semi retired couple and we are considering buying a used motorhome this year. The only problem is , after reading some of the problems that some people have encountered it's got us thinking a bit more about our decision. We really are keen to get one but are afraid of wasting our hard earned dosh. Some comments about the damp problems scares us.

Any advice would be most welcome. We like the look of Bessacarr low profile 2 berth.

Thank you

please no jokes about toads like damp conditions, my sister has just pointed that out to me.LOL

Last edited:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
:welcomefunster: Don't be put off by some experiences on here. On the whole there are far more positives than negatives. When you go to buy just make sure you've done your homework on the type of MH you want and if poss take someone along with you who knows about these lovely machines. there will be threads on here that tell you what to look out for for signs of damp etc., If you know what your looking for then there is little chance you will buy a bad one.

regards
Andrea

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
If the prospect of all the possible issues puts you off buy from a reputable dealer that comes recommended.
I see your from Merseyside I don’t know anyone near you but then again distance should not be a problem to get the right motor home check out the feedback on here for dealers like John Cross motor home http://www.johnscross.co.uk/ they are one you can rely on, I have nothing to do with them and my comments are based on member comments on this site. I am sure there are others but make sure they come recommended
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Don't be put off. It actually makes ownership fun.

There is always something that needs doing whether it be fixing a loose screw or putting your new sat tv system in.

Motorhoming is a sort of strange hobby, no where else in the world would you buy something for so much money and then do little jobs too it.

Look at it a bit like house ownership, they are not too dissimilar, in fact many have paid more for their motorhomes than they did their houses :Blush:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Hi.We started with a Sundance 530LP..a great little 2 berth low profile.However we soon realised we needed something bigger.:Doh: I would advise not to be afraid of getting a slightly larger van as it can save you the costly business of changing up later.Just our experience and wish you all the best.

John and Carole

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi and welcome

Just to put your mind at rest...................

I have absolutely NO idea how many members Fun has now, but out of all the several thousands, how many have a damp issue ?

I mean, yes, folk do sometimes have a problem and will post about it thereby bringing it to our attention.. But if everyone who has NOT got a problem with damp posted just to say that.. well it would be a funny old forum to say the least !!! :winky:

Best advice.. Go to someone like John Cross or other independent retailer with a good reputation, or invest in a decent damp meter from Maplins or somewhere similar and buy private but check CAREFULLY !! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
The damp problems posted even though they are a problem to the person concerned only represents a small portion of the motorhomes on the road old and new that are all damp free. Just like anything we buy in life there will be some problems but from what I have read on various forums is that second hand is best as the issues have been put right.
We have had a few small issues with ours a 2002 sundance 630L but it has added to the fun of motorhoming.

Best of luck
Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back