The thoughts of the innocents... or just plain dafties! (1 Viewer)

IanLesSimm

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
When we pick up our new motorhome will it be equipped with leisure battery, electric hook up cable, gas bottle etc or would this be something we should have 'bartered' for earlier on. Perhaps we are just ever hopefulls? Be gentle it is our first question

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Tell them you though they were standard and the dealer down the road throwing them in for free and you want to cancel as the cooling off period has not expired.
That will be like a dealer losing a sale you will get what you want
Bill

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Phew.......thought it was another thread about Remainers................:whistle:

:imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You will expect to be given a comprehensive hand over during which time you should expect to have every system demonstrated. There must be a leisure battery and gas in order to do this. It would be worrying for these not to be included. I suppose they could use their own EHU for that part of demonstration but cable not expensive in relation to the other costs:eek:
I am assuming that it is from a dealer?

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we picked up our new Autosleeper there was gas in the onboard tank, a leisure battery ( all new vans will have a leisure battery) a 25 metre EHU cable, water filler pipe (Whale filler system) and an external water pump to use with an aqua roll type carrier, a set of 4 crystal goblets, a melamine dinner service and cool bag, and a bottle of chilled champagne.
We knew we were getting all this before we handed over all that cash.

If you are unsure, give your dealer a call and ask what accessories they are including.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As standard I would say:
  1. Leisure battery - yes
  2. Hook up cable - no
  3. Gas bottle(s) - no
But then, as @Wildbill said, nothing that a bit of bartering can't cure, especially on such a large purchase these items are insignificant if they secure the sale :D

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
In 25 years we have never got anything other than batteries

We bought a second hand m/h and they demonstrated everything then took the gas bottle off
but as we had, had a caravan we had everything at home waiting to load up
Though we have now changed to a refillable gas system thanks to Calor being non helpful changing designs and cylinders again

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well I would expect ALL those things!!!

At handover, act shocked if they ARN'T included.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
When we picked up our new Autosleeper there was gas in the onboard tank, a leisure battery ( all new vans will have a leisure battery) a 25 metre EHU cable, water filler pipe (Whale filler system) and an external water pump to use with an aqua roll type carrier, a set of 4 crystal goblets, a melamine dinner service and cool bag, and a bottle of chilled champagne.
We knew we were getting all this before we handed over all that cash.

If you are unsure, give your dealer a call and ask what accessories they are including.
Same with my Auto Sleeper, except for the champers, which is a good thing really, as it saved me giving it away :LOL:

All the other stuff, including AS duvet & pillow covers was removed and is safely packed ready to go back in the van when/if I ever sell it.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Certainly the battery, gas bottle and hook up cable should come as standard. Bit of a cheapskate dealer if not.
I would like to amend this comment :whistle:

When I think back to my first caravan, I did have to provide my own gas bottle and it was transferred over each time I changed.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would like to amend this comment :whistle:

When I think back to my first caravan, I did have to provide my own gas bottle and it was transferred over each time I changed.
Think this is the common practice, you just keep your old lot and add it to the new, but you have to start somewhere so best to get what you can out of them then next time it's not an issue.
Don't think dealers expect anything to be left in anyway as it would all have to be safety certified which would probably cost more than putting new in.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our new MH (Swift) had all three as standard, although the gas bottle was going to be a small 6Kg Calor Lite which would have been neither use nor ornament. The small print in the catalogue should tell you what's standard, as the payload is usually calculated around the standard factory fit items.

Where we negotiated was on fitting - we bought a Satellite dish and a larger higher capacity leisure battery, and had a refillable gas cylinder plus piping from the previous MH. The dealer agreed to fit all three at no extra cost, and put in a couple of extra 12v sockets for free. You can never have enough 12v sockets in my opinion, especially for gadget recharging. I sold the factory fit battery to a workmate and plan to sell the TV aerial that the dish replaced.

Upvote 0

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
We bought ours second hand from a dealer and got!!!

new batteries
aqua roll
whale pump
levelling ramps
hook up cable
and a brand new drive away awning of our choice.

it has a gas flow system so no need for a bottle, but not a bad lot off freebies me thinks.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When we conducted the handover, we were asked if we had EHU leads etc before we bought our MH, which I had from the folding camper days, but looking back now, they may well have supplied one if not, but I did say I needed ramps, which they threw in FOC. For the gas, a bottle regulator came with the unit, but I asked for a bulkhead one to be fitted which I wasn't charged for and they said they would exchange my empty 7.5Kg butane which I had for an empty 6Kg propane. The propane bottle used for the demo was full and the Mechanic couldn't be bothered to take it out, so he left it in; said Merry Xmas and took my empty butane. One battery was supplied and I asked for a second to be fitted. I also had my Truma controls exchanged for the iNet CP Panel and they put in an additional 240v and 12v sockets in the holes left behind and didn't charge me for these either.

Upvote 0

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
New van x3
Battery x3
Cable (New) x3
1gas bottle x2

Used van
Battery x all
None of rest
They will not supply a used cable in case of issues

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanLesSimm

IanLesSimm

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
Well we have nothing as totally new to this so when the ever approaching day arrives I'll let you know what we end up with if anything!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When I bought mine, it came with.....

Gas low....
Satellite.....
Inverter...
Remote awning...
Strikeback alarm...
Tracker...
Full spare wheel...
Cable...

Plus much more..... ;)

Upvote 0

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Same with my Auto Sleeper, except for the champers, which is a good thing really, as it saved me giving it away :LOL:

All the other stuff, including AS duvet & pillow covers was removed and is safely packed ready to go back in the van when/if I ever sell it.

Ditto with our new AS, which we took delivery of in April. I would have loved a free bottle of Champers because, being teetotal, I could have sold it to pay for a few goodies for the MH!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanLesSimm

IanLesSimm

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We're newbies
I'm getting nervous, sure our bartering skills aren't as good as they need to be to be in this game! I think some of these accessories are more than our MH has cost

Upvote 0

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
If it were me, I would consider which items were really important to me, and focus on getting them. Gas bottles are not hard to find and not particularly expensive (talking about France now). We got everything from previous owner. They were selling so had no need of two gas bottles, tubes, pipes, bike carrier and cover, etc etc. The only things we bought were kitchenware, towels, and no, we didn't get champagne either.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back