The Spanish Job - message for those that are coming!! (1 Viewer)

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Hi everybody
Have you got room for another M/H with two occupants departing Dover on 10th January'11. This will be our first trip abroad and would accept and be grateful for any advice for the route and journey down. We shall be staying for 1 month initially but that may extend to longer. We have a golden retriever, I trust they allow dogs at this site.
We are Adrian and Jean Trim and our M/H is Kontiki 669 which is just over 8 mtrs.

Reading your interests, please be careful playing your banjo whilst driving, Ok its not an offence yet! but if people decide to take up this hobby on mass then a new law will be invented....like they did for mobile phones, smoking and eating a 3 course dinner whilst driving.....:Eeek:

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Reading your interests, please be careful playing your banjo whilst driving, Ok its not an offence yet! but if people decide to take up this hobby on mass then a new law will be invented....like they did for mobile phones, smoking and eating a 3 course dinner whilst driving.....:Eeek:
Hi Harry,
thanks for your concern but the thought of a slipped "G" string could send one cross eyed and that would be dangerous. I did get caught once and I told the officer to go and pluck himself........He took my advice and is now playing better than me. Adrian.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:thumb:Thanks Champers for putting up those pics of Spain. It looks like you're having a brilliant time. However, I must inform you of last nights temperatures in Wales:

Britain shivered in some record low temperatures - including a "ridiculously low" minus 17C in Wales - as the big freeze maintained its grip on the country, forecasters said.
The mercury at Llysdinam near Llandrindod Wells plunged to minus 17.3C - the principality's lowest ever temperature for November and the UK's chilliest for the month since 1985.

I bet you don't want to come home now.:roflmto:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
This time in two weeks time a few of us would have been on the high seas for four hours... heading for Santandar... and eventually 2-3 days later,, Zahora.. ::bigsmile:

For those that are having to put up with Penelopepitstops rantings and ravings this is your last call for anybody wanting anything bought out from the UK,,

Let me know by the end of this week or forever hold your piece,,

Make it small,, aint got that much room now,,,,, Birds Custard,, Mrs Peeks Xmas Puddings,,Gravy powder/Granuals,, Stuffing (Sage & Onion),, any medical aids,, Beechams,, False teeth keeper inner stuff.. packets of :Eeek:.. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
:thumb:Thanks Champers for putting up those pics of Spain. It looks like you're having a brilliant time. However, I must inform you of last nights temperatures in Wales:

Britain shivered in some record low temperatures - including a "ridiculously low" minus 17C in Wales - as the big freeze maintained its grip on the country, forecasters said.
The mercury at Llysdinam near Llandrindod Wells plunged to minus 17.3C - the principality's lowest ever temperature for November and the UK's chilliest for the month since 1985.

I bet you don't want to come home now.:roflmto:

Yep!!!!!!

If anyone else would like to see the pics I have added them to the members albums

Kath

fossle60

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
We are watching the weather here nervously! We should be traveling back to Pembrokeshire from Middlesex tomorrow, and are hoping the roads are o.k. We will then be worrying about getting snowed in, and not being able to get to Plymouth for the 12th! May be setting off a few days early and landing on a few relatives enroute, just to be on the safe side.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are watching the weather here nervously!

So are we !!

Remember the truck stop, 10 miles of good roads away and only £8 a night. We think better to be there a day early then a day late.

The first 2 weeks of January this year we could not get a vehicle out of the drive, this is why we are heading south to sun, sea, sand and sangria.

Don't forget your bucket and spade.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
At the moment no snow in or around Plymouth for miles around...

We only live 19 miles from the port..

Will update as time goes by and at least 3-4 days before the 12th.. :thumb:

I know it sounds daft but if it hit`s Brixham we are thinking of going to that truck stop the day before, or at least keep an eye on the situation, as we are on a very steep hill and our driveway out is very steep, and our road I should think will not get much snow clearing should it come.. :cry:

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Don't forget your bucket and spade.

With the rain we are having here in Spain at the moment you will be needing your bucket to bail you out and your spade for digging the van back out:ROFLMAO:.Saterday was atrocious rain all day, Sunday dry, and today rain, and forcast for rest of week rain :Sad:, The donkeys poo is more like slurry at the moment (nice) thankfully day off for me today and then tuesday drive to Alicante overnight stop collect ill donkey Weds morning and back home hopefully rain easing off toward end of the week PLEASE:thumb: Trev and Sue

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
With the rain we are having here in Spain at the moment you will be needing your bucket to bail you out and your spade for digging the van back out:ROFLMAO:.Saterday was atrocious rain all day, Sunday dry, and today rain, and forcast for rest of week rain :Sad:, The donkeys poo is more like slurry at the moment (nice) thankfully day off for me today and then tuesday drive to Alicante overnight stop collect ill donkey Weds morning and back home hopefully rain easing off toward end of the week PLEASE:thumb: Trev and Sue

We seem to be in a pattern of 2 or 3 wet and windy days then a day of blue sky and sunshine. Still better than being in the UK though!::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we are on a very steep hill and our driveway out is very steep, and our road I should think will not get much snow clearing should it come.. :cry:

Now that would be a tale to tell, how you fought this Yank monster with it's motorhome sized trailer down a snow covered hill, felling trees, knocking buses over, avoiding a children's nursery by inches and finally after this super human effort come to a halt resting on the doors of the AE Hospital, where, after some intensive surgery they managed to remove your underwear but declared it would never be used again.

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Well, my first post during this trip. Our travel over the water as you have heard from others was not great. Bryan spent 23 of the 24 hours in the cabin feeling extremely sick. I tried to be supportive but can only take so much so sought solace in the bar. Me and about 16 others. The rest of the passengers were all tucked up in their cabins being ill. There were only a few people including me in the restaurant in the evening, it was hilarious, plates were flying off the tables, a man fell over - it was like a comedy show.

Once we docked Bryan made a speedy recovery and the drive to Zahora was easy and uneventful. We stopped off for one night at Camping Regio, Salamanca; a place that had been recommended and I have to say it was great. We had a meal in the restaurant and a few drinks - it wasn't too expensive.

We have been here a week or so now and in this time we have had two nice sunny days.:RollEyes::RollEyes: We are currently sat in our van with the hatches well and truly battened down, the rain is relentless and the howling wind is threatening to turn our safari room into a kite (which could be useful as wind sports are very popular in this area).:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bryan is doing a sterling job with the pegs, ratchet straps and bungees but the ground is so soft and sandy they are pinging out as fast as he can put them in.

Bryan has been unwell, I had to drive him 40km to Cadiz Hospital at 6 in the morning, it was dark and throwing it down (which it seems to do a lot) and I was scared to death. At one point I thought he had passed out, he was in so much pain that he couldn't speak, it was horrendous. When we got to the hospital there was no where to park so I threw him out at the A & E and went to find a parking space. It took me 35 minutes cos my car was too high to fit into any of the car parks. I eventually found a space and then had to navigate my way through the streets of Cadiz to the hospital. It was of course raining still and I got soaked. When I got to the hospital it was clear that no one spoke english so I tried my best, they treated him very well though and after, morphine, blood tests, water tests and x-rays they diagnosed kidney stones - urgh!! They gave us a prescription for painkillers and anti inflammatories which he is taking and they seem to be relieving his pain. The hospital was dirty, I went to the ladies and there was urine all over the floor, no soap and no paper to dry my hands. The waiting room and the treatment room was dirty with bits of paper and rubbish all over. I was shocked.

The site is better than Bryan was expecting, he thought it was amidst rolling sand dunes and was relieved to see that there are pitches. The toilet and showers are very good and I use them rather than use our own. They are very clean with lots of hot water and sockets for hair dryers.

There is a washer and dryer although I have my own, (well not really mine - lent to me by Geo and Pammy - Thanks :thumb:). There is a very well stocked shop on the site that sells everything from bleach to steak. The prices are of course dearer than going into the nearest town as you would expect from a campsite shop - for example, one french stick costs 90 cents, I buy 3 for 1.20 euros at the Mercadona.

I have been going into the town most days, I like it. It is Conil de la Fronterra and is about 7 kms from the site. I enjoy their indoor food market and have found a good butchers. I am really enjoying the tapas bars trying all they have to offer. The fish out here is of course fantastic.

The whole area of Zahora looks and feels like a surfers paradise, the people I have seen around here are mainly surfer dude types and maybe a bit like hippies. We were quite shocked when we went in one of the beach type bars that is still open to find signs everywhere telling us that we were not allowed to take drugs on the premises. I'm not sure if that means we can in other bars if there is no sign up!

There is a swimming pool in Conil, I have been, they are quite strict you have to swim in lanes and wear hats in the water and shoes on the pool side. The showers and facilities there are good and there is a good coffee bar there also. It cost about 3 euros for a session which I think is about an hour.

In conclusion the site facilities are excellent - electric supply, showers, shop, water, wifi and tv. There is a friendly bar that on site and open serving food and drink six days a week and it's not too expensive.

The weather is not great, but I suppose that is to be expected on the Atlantic coast in winter, still we haven't seen any snow or sub zero temperatures yet:thumb:

I am looking forward to meeting more funsters out here and if anyone wants to know anything please ask or send me a pm. :Smile:

Suzy

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Good post, I hope Brians health improves. I dont even know what kidney stones are :Doh:
Jim
:Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am so glad to hear from you Suzy (luv the hair do) I have had "the bay of Biscay" too:Doh: on a cruise and not going to Santander athough i have done that to many years ago but with good weather:Smile:

Real sorry to hear about Bryan and hope he feels better and your adventure becomes more pleasurable for him.

Wished so much I was with you but cant (in hospital for a day or two in December for another toe off but no big deal hopefully:winky:) and spending more thans coming in:RollEyes:

Looking forward to hearing more from you, did email you but sounds like you have been busy.

Have a real blast you guys:winky:

Your missed already BTW :hug:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Good post, I hope Brians health improves. I dont even know what kidney stones are :Doh:
Jim
:Smile:

We didn't know either but we have since googled it and taken advice from others who have had first hand experience and poor Bryan is now frightened to death. He is convinced it it more painful than childbirth, being shot, burnt, and surgery :Eeek:

Its a great holiday :thumb: I can't remember the last time we had such fun :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hiya everyone

Sorry the weather isnt being so kind to you all xxxx

Suzy you are not far from Chiclana and in the town there is a special "medics" come hospital thats really good and clean - went there when I was stung by jelly fish a few years ago - might save a trip into cadiz. Its a few years ago now but its a large building all on its own with a red cross on it and near a bridge.

Hope this helps xxx

Heres hoping Bryan recovers easily but dont forget you can always ring your uk GP if you are worried xxxx

Fingers crossed the weather improves for you all xxxx Big hugs all round xxx

remember funsters have fun whatever the weather

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hiya everyone

Sorry the weather isnt being so kind to you all xxxx

Suzy you are not far from Chiclana and in the town there is a special "medics" come hospital thats really good and clean - went there when I was stung by jelly fish a few years ago - might save a trip into cadiz. Its a few years ago now but its a large building all on its own with a red cross on it and near a bridge.

Hope this helps xxx

Heres hoping Bryan recovers easily but dont forget you can always ring your uk GP if you are worried xxxx

Fingers crossed the weather improves for you all xxxx Big hugs all round xxx

remember funsters have fun whatever the weather

Thanks Gail, really appreciate your thoughts, we didn't really have a choice of where to go as we rang our insurers and they insisted that to meet the conditions of our cover we must go to their approved hospital. I was not in a position to argue at the time as I was so worried about Bryan but I will question their decision at some point in the future. Bryan seems to be doing well now so fingers crossed. Thanks again!x:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No hilldwellers.

I cancelled the ferry yesterday.

A going away party at my daughter's last week uncovered terrible marriage+work related stress problems she'd never spoken about but whilst there she could hardly stop crying.

No options, I don't know what to do but at least she knows she has someone 3 hours away who will do anything to help.

Got to laugh, there are those on FUN who keep saying "when the kids leave home........". She's 39, still our kid.

I'm sure you'll all have a real FUN Christmas, I'd certainly have been well down on FUN if I hadn't cancelled.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Sorry to hear Brian, all the best.
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry to read that Brian, cancelling a holiday is always disappointing, but decent people are hard-wired to put family first, I hope everything works out for the best. :thumb:

A going away party at my daughter's last week uncovered terrible marriage+work related stress problems she'd never spoken about but whilst there she could hardly stop crying.

No options, I don't know what to do but at least she knows she has someone 3 hours away who will do anything to help.

Got to laugh, there are those on FUN who keep saying "when the kids leave home........". She's 39, still our kid.

I'm sure you'll all have a real FUN Christmas, I'd certainly have been well down on FUN if I hadn't cancelled.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry to read that Brian, cancelling a holiday is always disappointing, but decent people are hard-wired to put family first, I hope everything works out for the best. :thumb:

Thanks Jim and Jim,

The really disappointing thing is it's been going on for at least a year and we knew nothing. That's the trouble when kids move far from home.

It's a difficult one, marrying for the first time in late 30s, bound to be problems.

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Sorry to hear the news Brian, i was looking forward to meeting the man behind the quick wit. Hope all goes well and things sort themselves out,Trev and Sue

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sorry to hear that Brian, as you say kids are always kids, you always do your best for them and put them first, although our girls travel from Norwich to Diss about 20 miles every day and home again you always worry. :Doh: And if they come round here they have to phone when they get home.:Smile:

They both live together now buying the house, but youngest phoned on Christmas Day last year and said her and her boyfriend of 4 years have split up, we were so upset,:cry: you think they are all settled and bang its not, but thats life, you never know what lies ahead, good luck and we hope your daughter is happy in the end.:Smile:

So....................................you OK to dog sit then.:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Or have you seen this:
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/rallies-meets/29561-shepton-motorhome-show-jan-2011-a-7.html#post364408 ::bigsmile: Bob and Jane.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Brian Hilldweller,
So sorry you won't be joining us down in Zahora. We have gone through this with kids that we thought had gone, but you always leave the bed made up just in case. You have been the main force behind many deciding to try Zahora so it will be a great shame you haven't made it.

Bryan & Suzy
My sympathy goes out to you. I had a run in with Kidney stones early this year & finished up in Dumfries hospital for 2 nights. there is nothing you can do except take the tablets & let it work it's way through. I have been told that ladies that have had them confirm that the pain is worst than child birth.
I eventually passed the offending stone and saw it in the toilet bowl & could not believe a thing so small could cause so much pain. Not much larger than a grain of sand you just wonder how it could be so painful.
I don't want to be doom maker but they predicted I may get other stones, so drink plenty (of water :Eeek:) and next time you'll know what it is, but I guess it wont be any better.
Iv'e not yet had another & hope they will not return.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

Oh Brian what rotten news, hope you can get things sorted for your Daughter.

She's lucky to have you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back