The Spanish Job - Final Planning (1 Viewer)

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Yes dogs are allowed and I'm not aware of anyone being charged for them during the winter!:Smile:

Would be GREAT if you joined us! :thumb::thumb:

Who are you going to see in Austria?​

I am going to see the band that no one has ever heard of in my 9 yrs of going all over the UK to watch them. They're called Interpol. They're on at the Gasometer? in Vienna which looks great

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I am going to see the band that no one has ever heard of in my 9 yrs of going all over the UK to watch them. They're called Interpol. They're on at the Gasometer? in Vienna which looks great

Guess what?? I've never heard of them either!!

Enjoy!​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Yep

As my PC has been knackered for a while, just noticed this post.
Booked on the 12th October, Portsmouth to Santander and intending to arrive 15th or so at San Jose to give it a try.
Plan is to stay there until April 2011 and then back via France, Italy and Germany (Koblentz fetival in May/June).
We are a Calder 5er and by the looks on Google Earth should not be a problem getting on and on to a pitch? Although views are at least 2 years old, have the trees grown much?
Q's
Do I need to book?
On Atlantic, cold in winter?
Safe to leave when we fly back to UK for Christmas?
Nearest airport Gibralta, easy to get to, rail link?
Cycle paths? LPG avaiable nearby (Gaslow)?
Free beer?
Or we may return to Roquetas but would like to try something different this winter.

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
As my PC has been knackered for a while, just noticed this post.
Booked on the 12th October, Portsmouth to Santander and intending to arrive 15th or so at San Jose to give it a try.
Plan is to stay there until April 2011 and then back via France, Italy and Germany (Koblentz fetival in May/June).
We are a Calder 5er and by the looks on Google Earth should not be a problem getting on and on to a pitch? Although views are at least 2 years old, have the trees grown much?
Q's
Do I need to book?
On Atlantic, cold in winter?
Free beer?
Or we may return to Roquetas but would like to try something different this winter.

Hi
we sail on 15th Sept due at pinar san jose 1st Oct as we are going via central portugal first. We book about 4 months ago, Cant help with other questions sorry. But see you there:Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

All I can answer.

LPG in Jerez - not seen it but reported many times.
Nearest airport Jerez.
If Dame Penelope is there your rig must be safe, they wouldn't dare.
Cycle paths - all I can see on google maps is a mass of tiny lanes.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
LPG avaiable nearby (Gaslow)?

Olley's excellent Autogas in Spain map doesn't show anywhere nearby..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100414488872017056350.00045c0c2ec92a3f46ca4&ll=40.279526,-2.570801&spn=7.825593,21.357422&z=6

as to weather, yes it can be cold and wet.. the best Spanish winter weather is to be found in the Almeria region

When we were at Roquetas in 2007 vans were arriving almost daily from SW Spain and the Algarve , they had moved due to cold wet weather..

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Q's Entrance to the site a bit twisty so be careful with your angle. Some trees awkwardly placed on the site roads. We've seen plenty of big rv's with trailers in there so with diligence it's do-able!
Do I need to book? Unless the Dutch have suddenly found it or if you arrive on a weekend when the Spanish are there you should be OK - Give them a ring if you're not sure - Carmen on reception speaks excellent English, if she's not there try again another day! The staff are very friendly and helpful! Take care getting on a pitch as it's very sandy! We've all done the sinking in the sand thing several times but it's no big deal to get helped out!!:ROFLMAO:
On Atlantic, cold in winter? Depends how you define cold!!:Smile: We didn't get any of the snow that the rest of Spain had last year! Look at my blog for photos of our winter parties etc!!! Last winter was particularly bad all over Europe yet I wore flip-flops and Rex wore shorts all winter!!:thumb:
Safe to leave when we fly back to UK for Christmas? VERY!! We'll all keep an eye on it! Security on site overnight too.
Nearest airport Gibralta, easy to get to, rail link? No!
Cycle paths? Plenty of places to cycle but not always flat!!
LPG avaiable nearby (Gaslow)? LPG at Jerez as in Olley's file - it's a Repsol depot - access to LPG pump quite tight for anything bigger than 7m.
Free beer? Yes we'll accept your free beer!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

All I can answer.

LPG in Jerez - not seen it but reported many times.
Nearest airport Jerez. Flights from Jerez to Stansted I believe - Ryanair I think.
If Dame Penelope is there your rig must be safe, they wouldn't dare. Too right!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Cycle paths - all I can see on google maps is a mass of tiny lanes.

We are hoping to be there around end October!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Not nit picking but 40 is closer. OK I am nit picking but I need to know this.

One Google route is 48.8 the other is 44.8, so your nit picking for no good reason, but I guess YOU don't need one. ::bigsmile:

Best bet I would have thought is to get a BB point fitted to your van if you don't already have one, and connect a Spanish bottle and regulator to it.

olley

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
One Google route is 48.8 the other is 44.8, so your nit picking for no good reason, but I guess YOU don't need one. ::bigsmile:

Best bet I would have thought is to get a BB point fitted to your van if you don't already have one, and connect a Spanish bottle and regulator to it.

olley

You're quite right Olley! Brian never needs a reason to nit-pick - he wrote the manual!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also agree about the BB point - for bigger vans that is. We can get our van to the LPG pump at Jerez but wouldn't want to try it with anything much bigger than 7m - haven't found anywhere else in Cadiz Province doing LPG.

If anyone uses the Blue CampingGaz bottles there's a Repsol Depot at Conil de la Frontera where you can exchange them. We use them for our BBQ so it's quite handy - much cheaper than UK too at around €9 :thumb::thumb:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I'm now in the process of planning our route :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Usually we travel via Calais and take a few weeks to get to Zahora however this year we have decided to go straight there via Santander - therefore an unknown route!!:Eeek:

Will probably spend the first night at Santillana Del Mar - visited the village a few years ago and thought it really pretty - would like to go back for another look!:Smile:

Anyone stayed there?

I'm looking at then doing 220 miles to Salamanca. Maybe stay a couple of nights.

130 miles to Caceres.

172 miles to Dos Hermanas (Sevilla) Definately stay a couple of nights - just love Sevilla!!:Smile:

87 miles to Zahora and a rest! Ah Bliss!!:Smile:

Does anyone know of any campsites in Salamanca and Caceres?

Great site at Dos Hermanas - near a bus stop into Sevilla!:thumb:

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Marie
we stayed at Don Quixote just outside Salamanca last year on way down in Oct. Nice river walk into town, but we were unfortunate in our timing - they'd just had fierce storms, wind, torrential rain and site and surroundings looked derelict! there's another one near a hotel in town that was recommended to us, but can't remember name. both in ACSI book under Salamanca.
As for Caceres, there's a super municipal site next to footie ground with buses across road into town. again it's ACSI. each pitch has its own cabin with shower, loo, water, washup, etc. it's also just off the road down south - sorry in Cheltenham at mo' so haven't got book/maps with us to look up all details.
bear in mind that the road from Santander down to Seville has very few fuel stations on it, have to pull off into villages nearby. there's one just outside Santander but last year they were stopping vehicles to weigh them - be warned!!
lovely route down to Seville though, new surface all the way. told it can get windy sometimes, 'cos it's high off surrounding countryside - good views, but exposed.
hope that helps..
Stephen and Lesley

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We were thinking of driving from Calais to Spain in February. Being aware of the problems with the weather last year we are a wondering what to do. I guess its just a case of wait and see what the weather is like.

Jim
:Smile:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We were thinking of driving from Calais to Spain in February. Being aware of the problems with the weather last year we are a wondering what to do. I guess its just a case of wait and see what the weather is like.

Jim
:Smile:

No doubt some of us will be posting weather reports throughout the winter so you'll have some idea of what's happening! :Smile::Smile:

Last year's weather was not good - very wet - however - it was still better than being anywhere else in Europe!:roflmto:

Looking back we think of the rain but then I look at our photos and I've got an awful lot of us sitting out in the sunshine! :Smile:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As for Caceres, there's a super municipal site next to footie ground with buses across road into town. again it's ACSI. each pitch has its own cabin with shower, loo, water, washup, etc.
Stephen and Lesley

Now that looks a bit of alright. Just what we need for a single stop in December.

Thanks.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I must stop reading this thread.....
I am getting more and more envious of you all :ROFLMAO:
Bev

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Marie
there's another one near a hotel in town that was recommended to us, but can't remember name. both in ACSI book under Salamanca.

I think this is the one: Link Removed

Olley

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Don't get envious - come and join us!! :roflmto::roflmto:

Look ive looked again:Doh:
Dont worry , when Ralph's retired , or semi retired even , and the kids are old enough to leave at home , we shall be there:thumb:
Bev

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Look ive looked again:Doh:
Dont worry , when Ralph's retired , or semi retired even , and the kids are old enough to leave at home , we shall be there:thumb:
Bev

We were feeling the same when we were your age! Then suddenly we got old and it happened!:roflmto:
Don't worry one day you'll wake up and be old enough to join us!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Rofl:
:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think this is the one: Link Removed

Olley

Discrimination here ! They charge more for slim people.

Link Removed

And €83.5 to use a UK 13A plug.

Is Salamanca worth a visit ? What is there to see ?

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
salamanca is a stunning city well worth a visit .

mark.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Emmm,
This camp "Camping Regio", in the ACSI descripion it does not have the "Motorhomes over 7.5 accepted". Have they just got it wrong? As I am over 12 m hooked up, 7.5 for the 5er alone, will it be a problem? Must admit usually use large petrol stations as stopovers in Spain but that is down the A23 route.
Just Jack

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
Hi the last time we were there was with Geo
he got on there all right