the silver bubble wrap stuff (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, a few years ago after some excellent advice on here I purchased some silver bubble wrap insulation stuff and cut to shape for our windows. This kept out the early morning daylight, stopped it heating up too much first thing in the summer and helps keep us warmer in the winter. It's been great. Unfortunately it is starting to loose the silver coating ( it has been used a lot ). I've been looking to replace it. It seems really expensive compared to the last lot I bought. Any ideas of alternative stuff or where it is the best price?

TIA:Smile:

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Just a thought, may be helpful, may not, but worth a try.... silver spray paint? *shrug*

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I know that someone on here has been advocating the use of the camping roll such as this:

Broken Link Removed

cut to shape. Very cheap and, they say, effective.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, a few years ago after some excellent advice on here I purchased some silver bubble wrap insulation stuff and cut to shape for our windows. This kept out the early morning daylight, stopped it heating up too much first thing in the summer and helps keep us warmer in the winter. It's been great. Unfortunately it is starting to loose the silver coating ( it has been used a lot ). I've been looking to replace it. It seems really expensive compared to the last lot I bought. Any ideas of alternative stuff or where it is the best price?

TIA:Smile:

Consider the stuff they sell in DIY shops for fitting behind radiators.

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Silver bubble wrap

I bought some for insulation at home from homebase and had enough left make an internal shield for our m/h. It works really well and is held in place by suction cups. It has stopped condensation and was relatively cheap, always a plus!::bigsmile:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I bought a large roll of the foil insulation for behind radiators from home base £12 for the roll as discounted as winter is past

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I have looked at the stuff for behind radiators but it looks like it is not meant to but handled a lot and would wear quicker than the bubble wrap stuff.. Good idea though and appreciated.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I saw some silver coated bubble rolls in our local Aldi yesterday didn't look how much though.

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We also use it for for our van. I've repaired it using aluminium sticky tape to deal with frayed edges and missing bits of foil. It works well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How about ... now this may seem very 'out there' but ...

why not ...

consider ...

buying ...

a set of ...

good second-hand ...

purpose made internal screens !!!!!!! :Doh:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We use it all the time. I made secondary screens for all our windows.
The B&Q roll was the cheapest I could find. It is in amongst the loft insulation materials.:thumb:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
How about ... now this may seem very 'out there' but ...

why not ...

consider ...

buying ...

a set of ...

good second-hand ...

purpose made internal screens !!!!!!! :Doh:

We have , for the cab, a set of internal made to measure screens and an external silver screen that we use in the winter. I didn't realise you get them for all the hab windows as well. If you could send me a link that would be useful.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have , for the cab, a set of internal made to measure screens and an external silver screen that we use in the winter. I didn't realise you get them for all the hab windows as well. If you could send me a link that would be useful.

Ah ... I thought you were on about your cab windows as you didn't mention that you already had them in your OP. :RollEyes:

Sooooo, in that case, you can't get purpose made ones for the habitation windows I'm afraid! :cry: You could, though, buy some of this:

Broken Link Removed

I did a similar thing for our MH windows many years ago using some cheap car reflective windscreen shades like the below and they're still going strong

Broken Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Gordon you can buy proper Internal SS stuff from http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ by the mtr off a roll -the roll is ab out 54 ins wide and they charge by linear yd/mtr -they also sell the eye-lets and rubber suckers --suckers are aprox £1 each :Eeek:but if you ask nice they will throw in the eye-lets :winky:::bigsmile:PM me if you need them making up ie binding around the edges
terry

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have Milenco internal blinds with suckers which work well (£47) but if you wanted to make your own version you can also buy just a bag of the suckers (£7 for 16) which pushed through a hole can stick most light materials up http://www.milenco.com/products/universal-thermal-blinds/universal-sucker-pads-for-blinds/ . Ideal if you want to attach an extra section of shower curtain to protect the bathroom area.

HARESBY

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie well sort of. Ex continental truck driver.
Most diy outlets stock the stuff.Bought our last lot from Wicks,not expensive either.:thumb:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Being a Yorkshireman I bought a couple of 'Survival blankets', (you know, the type they give out after marathons), That was £1. I then bought some genuine bubble wrap for 87p and a can of spray contact adhesive £2.54.

When I had got it all together, I cut it to shape and edged the whole lot in Gaffer tape.

I've so far tried it twice and it seems to do the biz.

Good Luck

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks to all that responded. a couple of ways of doing this I hadn't thought of so I will get things made. I will then be able to move to the darkness again.:thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I know cost can be an issue but wouldn't it make sense to track down and modify something like this.....?

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back