Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Different ways of keeping tyre pressures constant have all been tried on HGV's,..the last "big thing" was nitrogen, sounded good...but did,nt get taken up.
The main flaw with HGV use, is that a tipper firm, will know exactly what will happen to them after a weeks use, thats if they are not covered in road crap making the tiny LED invisible, but the main thing, is that they are useless to a company who's drivers do not check the tyres.

I work in a commercial vehcile workshop doing inspections and pre MOt stuff,...some of the knob heads who NEVER check the tyres, or certainly do not do the inners, meaning that we find tyres down to the cords regularly,....will not be in fluenced by a little LED.
If the technology could be used to sound an alarm in the cab, same as a seatbelt alarm, it may, be a more attractive purchase, but all the best of luck anyway, I have been known to be wrong on the odd occassion.:ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
From reading the posts I thought it re calibrates each time, yet I then read it does not as Jim suggests keeping the ones for the front separate if removed???? now I am lost.

But then some say that is normal..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Some Buttons you not only do 99 mpg but have wooden wheels... great .. my RV has wings..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:
Many are not aware of the increase in pressure of a hot tyre. If the caps do re-calibrate each time they are removed, then checking the tyre pressures at the garage could be a problem. For when the tyre cools you could end up with a false alarm.
If they do hold the first calibration then they could only be used for the one wheel as transferring them will also cause problems, Or am I missing something.
I think I will stick with my wooden wheels the only problem I get with them is splinters. :Eeek:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Many are not aware of the increase in pressure of a hot tyre. If the caps do re-calibrate each time they are removed, then checking the tyre pressures at the garage could be a problem. For when the tyre cools you could end up with a false alarm.
If they do hold the first calibration then they could only be used for the one wheel as transferring them will also cause problems, Or am I missing something.
I think I will stick with my wooden wheels the only problem I get with them is splinters. :Eeek:

RTFM They recalibrate each time, and why are you checking tyre pressure hot, all advise check and set cold for acuracy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Looking at the operating diagrams on the website, each time the cap is removed, both pressure chambers in the cap will depressurise.

Therefore, when the cap is replaced, it will recalibrate itself at whatever pressure the tyre is holding.

So, remove and replace them as often as you like and they will reset themselves.

:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Maybe i should source a good one and sell it. ::bigsmile:
The forecourt ones take such a hammering they cannot be relied upon and anyway [HI]by the time we get to the service station the temp in the tyre has risen so has the pressure.[/HI]
I use a digital one from BMW from when I had a BMW Bike, always keep it wrapped in a rag to insulate it from shocks and its still good even though it must be 15 years old. I think most named digitals will be OK Michelin etc.

RTFM They recalibrate each time, and [HI]why are you checking tyre pressure hot, [/HI]all advise check and set cold for acuracy!
I was just going on Jims earlier comment with regard to checking at the forecourt. See quote....So how do you check your tyres, do you have your own calibrated compressor at home.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I was just going on Jims earlier comment with regard to checking at the forecourt. See quote....So how do you check your tyres, do you have your own calibrated compressor at home.
buttons! you dont check tyre pressure's with a calibrated compressor you check them with a calibrated tyre pressure gauge.:RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is it a slow motorhome day ??????

So Delboy offers a few mates some blingy valve caps, doin' you a favor, innit, cost £50 darn at 'alfords, for you sunshine not 25 not 20 not even a tenner, just five of your luvverly pounds.

And here we are 2675 views, 95 replies, 12 pages and counting.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
buttons! you dont check tyre pressure's with a calibrated compressor you check them with a calibrated tyre pressure gauge.:RollEyes:
After many years of being a fairly reasonable engineer chris I think that I was aware of that already but thanks for the tip.:Wacko:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I was just going on Jims earlier comment with regard to checking at the forecourt. See quote....So how do you check your tyres, do you have your own calibrated compressor at home (should read calibrated tyre pressure gauge).

sorry buttons! you must have forgot your training for a moment:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I was just going on Jims earlier comment with regard to checking at the forecourt. See quote....[HI]So how do you check your tyres, do you have your own calibrated compressor at home[/HI].

Cold, before stting out, and yes I have a compressor and good guage at home, as it happens, but as far as I'm concerned garage compressors/guages are for emergency use only, and frankly I can't remember the last time I used one.

12 volt compressor on board Winne, proper at home though I could use the 12 volt anyway, though it's guage isn't great, a guide more than anything hence another post re guages::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
sorry buttons! you must have forgot your training for a moment:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Now you are entering silly town chris...I dont know of a single compressor, "and I have known a few" that does not require calibration, how about yourself?:Confused:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use my own compressor at home

I use a proper compressor with an air tank and proper air hoses and gauges.. not the elcheapo stuff that is no more than a guide or burn out of you want to put high pressure in to a tyre. It is to big to put in the RV so it is home based and I do check my tyres often.

The only thing makes this attractive is they are lockable and can reset if taken off to the current psi.. otherwise would go back to the elcheapo nickable type.

Bob

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I don't check mine, I like the flashing lights :Confused::wooo::wooo:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Now you are entering silly town chris...I dont know of a single compressor, "and I have known a few" that does not require calibration, how about yourself?:Confused:
apart from the pressure relieve valve and shut off valve, what part of a garage compressor needs calibrating:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well, Sadly for you Jim, I have actually patented the device at the begining of the year. Fear not though, as I know you have invested significantly in to this venture just send me £1-50 for every one you sell. That way we can both be millionaires by the time the Northern show comes round. :thumb: Want any help selling them at shows? let me know, should make the shows more exciting and I have experience of that by the days spent giving out motorhome fun cards at the stalls you had back then..

To all the people that raise the questions about this product, some valid some kind of err weird? :Eeek:

What many of you are forgetting is this,

Whether it works or not, whether it is any good or not, whether it is even legal or not, You should stop! realise you are a motorhomer and bide by the motorhomers code of conduct.

FOR GOD SAKE IT'S ANOTHER TOY !!!!!! wer'e BOYS AND BOYS SHOULD HAVE THEM!!! we have solar panels aframes 10 million gigawhat inverters, useless Generators. Aframes HAnd brake extenders!!!!

THIS IS A MUST HAVE TOY....

[HI]I am going to get some, let my tyres down, and drive round with flashing red lights, or park up at meets with flashing red lights..... [/HI]

Just to show everyone I have a new toy.... :thumb::thumb:
Are you sure you have through this through. Remove the cap, let the tyre down, replace the cap, light goes out.:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Are you sure you have through this through. Remove the cap, let the tyre down, replace the cap, light goes out.:winky:

Of course I have, Im going to put a nail in each tyre so it makes a slow puncture, arrive on site on Friday, and by Darkness ill be ready to go with the Hutchies racing up behind me :thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

We'll drive round and round the field at 100mph, take the caps off, replace them, wait ten minutes and there you go.

It'll be like Vegas.

In a muddy field in the shires.

:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
apart from the pressure relieve valve and shut off valve, what part of a garage compressor needs calibrating:Smile:
For a start, when I put my 50p in I would hope to get enough time to check all four tyres. left un-calibrated I might only manage two.
Without more change this is a real problem.:helptitanic:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I am seriously thinking about buying some spare ones and then letting the tyres down on the barstewards that park on the pavement outside my bungalow and then( yes, you have guessed it)

Put the thingies, erm whatdoyoucallem on the tyres and lock them on.

Get out of that one you w***ers::bigsmile:

Or not as the case may be.:roflmto::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yu have all the lights you want Paul if....

Of course I have, Im going to put a nail in each tyre so it makes a slow puncture, arrive on site on Friday, and by Darkness ill be ready to go with the Hutchies racing up behind me :thumb:

If you trade in that sad motor home of yours and purchased an RV you get lots of running lights as standard and you can add even more if you wish.. I doubt this little thinks can be seen from a mirror of a cab on a motor home when you are moving in any case.

If you like flashing red lights I have some nice (American) strip units that stop you walking in to awning arms..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
how do you get air in to the wooden ones?

For a start, when I put my 50p in I would hope to get enough time to check all four tyres. left un-calibrated I might only manage two.
Without more change this is a real problem.:helptitanic:

Hang on Buttons, I am now confused.. I thought you confirmed you had wooden wheels? do they have rubber on them or are they also wooden.. and why would you put air in to them at a garage.. I would have thought a bike pump would do that tiny mico bus you have:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::reel::reel::reel::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
The thing I like is that any obscure, arcane, one-in-a-million, never in my lifetime, more chance of being hit by a meteorite scenario that can be raised to critcise these tyre maintenance aids has been dismissed by Jim and others by simple, cogent statement of their engineering design and operating procedure.

I am thinking that I am predisposed to be in favour of them. :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
your the sort of buyer I like

The thing I like is that any obscure, arcane, one-in-a-million, never in my lifetime, more chance of being hit by a meteorite scenario that can be raised to critcise these tyre maintenance aids has been dismissed by Jim and others by simple, cogent statement of their engineering design and operating procedure.

I am thinking that I am predisposed to be in favour of them. :Smile:

You are the sort of buyer I like........... easy to sell to

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as I said buy one and nick one from the others

Except that we are as poor as dirt so we might just buy one and swap it round all our 22 tyres each day.

That would work, apparently...

:Smile:

Now a smart man (no I am not suggesting anyone does it.. I am not aiding and abetting ... buy one to get the lock undoing device.. wait until Paul is showing of his red lights.. then nick his and some others... must have fallen off gov:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Bob

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Now a smart man (no I am not suggesting anyone does it.. I am not aiding and abetting ... buy one to get the lock undoing device.. wait until Paul is showing of his red lights.. then nick his and some others... must have fallen off gov:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Bob

Hmmmm... interesting... :winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hang on Buttons, I am now confused.. I thought you confirmed you had wooden wheels? do they have rubber on them or are they also wooden.. and why would you put air in to them at a garage.. I would have thought a bike pump would do that tiny mico bus you have:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::reel::reel::reel::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No the wooden ones are fine, apart from the splinters. My gripe is with the other half's car. She doesn't have a clue so it is left to me, but I always put an extra couple of Bar in to allow for the high temperature. Not sure what a bar is but it feels about right. I must check them when they are cold to make sure 2 bar extra is enough on a hot tyre.:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I am seriously thinking about buying some spare ones and then letting the tyres down on the barstewards that park on the pavement outside my bungalow and then( yes, you have guessed it)

Put the thingies, erm whatdoyoucallem on the tyres and lock them on.

Get out of that one you w***ers::bigsmile:

Or not as the case may be.:roflmto::ROFLMAO:

were you ever a Women Scorned :Eeek::Eeek:

jees, glad it wasn;t me, but I likeyour style.:thumb:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well thanks everyone, you've certainly given me quite a few pertinent and valid questions to add to the FAQ. I'm quite pleased that on the whole its come out of a baptism by forum fire quite well and many can see how useful the product will be.

I just hope my stock arrives before Peterboro,:Eeek: meanwhile I'll work on that FAQ. Thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back