The secret is now out! (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
After reading some of the posts it would appear that people will be giving total reliance on this flashing red light for their tyre safety.

I think what you are selling is just a minor aid or gadget not an all encompassing tyre safety monitor, for to rely totally on an ingenious electronic sensor that is spinning and vibrating at a rate of knots in a wet and salty environment would not be wise.

Without unlocking it, and taking it off how else can you be confident that it is operating correctly. How do you know that replacing it in the dark and inclement conditions has not damager it, you won’t know until the next removal. How do they react to a leaky tyre valve, or cross threading.

It does nothing for a sudden loss if air and in my view you would still be wise to inspect your tyres regularly not just look for a red light. Also check your tyre pressure periodically as described in the hand book, but with the added inconvenience of having to unlock each dust cap.

Should one or more not be operating correctly then how would the insurers react if you were making a claim through a tyre problem after total reliance on these gadgets, I suspect not favourably.

Personally I will continue to make regular visual inspections and check the pressure regularly. I wish you luck with your venture, but sorry they are not for me.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
hi Jim....Q if one left van in storage for say a month or two in winter and lost presure set of led's how long would batteries last ? or do they need to be taken off when not in use?
dave

Hi Dave if you are putting it in storage for months and not going to visit it at all then I would take them off. If you did lose pressure and the LED fired and continued to flash for three weeks you would flatten the battery.

If you are visiting once a month then I'd leave them on. Two things

One of the good things about the system is that it is using zero power if the tyre is inflated correctly, also in winter tyres lose less air anyway, so leaving on is OK

Because this system re-calibrates every time you screw it on, it is OK to take them off. using the other caps, you'd have to remember which cap came from the front and rear etc as they are calibrated just once the first time they are screwed on. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
After reading some of the posts it would appear that people will be giving total reliance on this flashing red light for their tyre safety.

I think what you are selling is just a minor aid or gadget not an all encompassing tyre safety monitor, for to rely totally on an ingenious electronic sensor that is spinning and vibrating at a rate of knots in a wet and salty environment would not be wise.

Without unlocking it, and taking it off how else can you be confident that it is operating correctly. How do you know that replacing it in the dark and inclement conditions has not damager it, you won’t know until the next removal. How do they react to a leaky tyre valve, or cross threading.

. It does nothing for a sudden loss if air and in my view you would still be wise to inspect your tyres regularly not just look for a red light. Also check your tyre pressure periodically as described in the hand book, but with the added inconvenience of having to unlock each dust cap..

Should one or more not be operating correctly then how would the insurers react if you were making a claim through a tyre problem after total reliance on these gadgets, I suspect not favourably.

Personally I will continue to make regular visual inspections and check the pressure regularly. I wish you luck with your venture, but sorry they are not for me.

400 mile trip,,,, stop a couple of times for a tea.fag/pee break...

Who is going to check their tyres etc manually...:RollEyes:

I would sooner walk round and glance at these units to get a rough idea that all is well..:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

It does nothing for a sudden loss if air and in my view you would still be wise to inspect your tyres regularly not just look for a red light. Also check your tyre pressure periodically as described in the hand book, but with the added inconvenience of having to unlock each dust cap.

you could say the same for every warning light that is fitted to cars,but thats the point its a warning that your tyres are low on pressure,thats all,i agree that tyres need to be checked and this would not help in a sudden loss of pressure but what would?
far from being a minor aid or gadget its a usefull tool for warning lazy people of low pressure,but if you dont want them buttons dont buy them,but not every one check's thier tyre pressure's daily, weekly, monthly or even yearly:Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
400 mile trip,,,, stop a couple of times for a tea.fag/pee break...

Who is going to check their tyres etc manually...:RollEyes:

I would sooner walk round and glance at these units to [HI]get a rough idea[/HI] that all is well..:thumb:
What is a rough idea.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
you could say the same for every warning light that is fitted to cars,but thats the point its a warning that your tyres are low on pressure,thats all,i agree that tyres need to be checked and this would not help in a sudden loss of pressure but what would?
far from being a minor aid or gadget its a usefull tool for warning lazy people of low pressure,but if you dont want them buttons dont buy them,but not every one check's thier tyre pressure's daily, weekly, monthly or even yearly:Doh:
I did suggest they were a minor aid.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

If so they would be the same people that never check tyres between MOTs. The kit is an aid to good tyre management. It does not negate the need for normal regular checks to the condition of the tyre.

Its designed to work in precisely such an environment

They will report loss from a leaky valve as any other loss. Removing/Replacing it in the dark would be the simplest part of anything you might do with your tyres in the dark

See the answer I gave a moment ago, the inconvenience of an extra second to unscrew the cap is a small price to pay for the service it provides

Its only you talking about total reliance
Personally I will continue to make regular visual inspections and check the pressure regularly.

So you should, how often do you do it, once a month, once a week once a season? For sure a user of the Pressure Alarm who's doing the same regular checks, has a much better chance than you of spotting something amiss between checks than you

I wish you luck with your venture, but sorry they are not for me

Thanks for your good wishes:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I did suggest they were a minor aid.
far from being minor buttons:RollEyes:
tyres are one of the most important part of a car,so any thing that adds to safe tyres cannot be described as minor:Doh:
but i forgot the vw still use solid tyres,made from wood:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I wonder how we all manged yesterday without them?

"yesterday" as per normal, just under half of the nation went around with under-inflated tyres. Costing them unnecessary millions/billion in fuel and tyres and taking longer to stop than they should and many crashing from under-inflation induced blow-outs.

The problem is so bad that by Nov this year it will be illegal to sell a new car without a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System installed. So to answer your question, we'll manage better tomorrow than we did yesterday Dave.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Jim,
This looks a real good piece of kit and an encouragement and aid to the visiual inspection of the tyres that can now be done every time I step out of or imnto my mh.

One question though Jim; each dust cap is powereed by a battery (IF I have read the blurb right) -
do the caps come with batteries supplied
how easy difficult are they to buy and replace
how often should they need replacing and
is there a warning light to indicate low battery.

Sorry that is more than one question but all subsections of the original query about their power source.

Many thanks Jim think they look to be a great piece of kit.

Norman

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Wish you every success Jim, I'm sure you'll sell plenty.. I can certainly see attraction and benefits of the device, but..

Any TPMS device that screws on to the valve defeats or disables the purpose of the valve core.. ie to keep the air in. The tyre is now solely dependent on this device to remain inflated.. any damage or failure, accidental or otherwise could cause a rapid deflation ..

Any mechanical system, in this case, a tyre, valve and wheel rim is only as good as it's weakest link.. this device replaces one link (the valve) with another that IMO is more likely to go wrong than the one it replaces.. so not for me.

Out of interest .. TPMS will soon be mandatory in all new cars...

In the European Union, starting in November 2012, all new models of passenger cars must be equipped with a TPMS, with even tighter specifications that will be defined by the UNECE Vehicle Regulations (Regulation No. 64). On July 13, 2010, the South Korean Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs announced a pending partial-revision to the Korea Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (KMVSS), specifying that "TPMS shall be installed to passenger vehicles and vehicles of GVW 3.5 tons or less, ... [effective] on 1 January 2013 for new models and on 30 June 2014 for existing models".[8] Japan is expected to adopt European Union legislation approximately one year after European Union implementation. Further countries to make TPMS mandatory include Russia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Israel, Malaysia and Turkey.[9]

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim,
This looks a real good piece of kit and an encouragement and aid to the visiual inspection of the tyres that can now be done every time I step out of or imnto my mh.

One question though Jim; each dust cap is powereed by a battery (IF I have read the blurb right) -
do the caps come with batteries supplied
how easy difficult are they to buy and replace
how often should they need replacing and
is there a warning light to indicate low battery.

Sorry that is more than one question but all subsections of the original query about their power source.

Many thanks Jim think they look to be a great piece of kit.

Norman

Hi Norman,

The Battery lasts 3 to 4 years (maybe longer but depends how many times you get low pressure and the LED lights) is small and inexpensive, though it is supplied with two O rings and I do not know yet what they will cost. Though obviously they will cost a lot less than replacing the cap which costs about £7.50 each to funsters.

The only time the power is used is when in low pressure, if the LED is red the battery is good, if its yellow, it will need replacing. For peace of mind each pack comes with an LED tester so you can check its working OK

The

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Missed the point?

OK, these are another gizzmo but, who can say they check their tyres every time before driving off? OK, no good if a failure begins on the move but it'll sure help you set off in good shape.

I have a habit of walking round Winne most times we head of on a long run, but not always, and banging the tyres with a hammer, not very scientific, but my ears 'should' pick up and wild variance, but 4PSI?????

We're all lazy but even I can see the advantage of a gizzmo like this, better than the hammer and, toys factor, people are more likely to walk round their tyre more regularly therefore standing a better chance of not setting off with a problem, whether it's pressure drop and LED going OR something sticking out the tyre waiting to cause chaos.

People are lazy and or forgetfull, I'm no exception, and these little things can help. I have to be honest, I'm actuall not a big fan of these types of things BUT, as said I'll be taking a look in due course for two simple reasons, a better method than the thump with the hammer day to day and more so being a duelly rear axle much much better for the visual check of the inners!

As has been said, there is NO REPLACMENT FOR REGULAR CHECKS, but a cursory walk round on a journey........?

No I'm not on or after commision, just feel some have missed the point and poor old Jim is repeating himself, mind you he does like the sound of his own voice:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, esspecially full bore after a couple of Stellas::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wish you every success Jim, I'm sure you'll sell plenty.. I can certainly see attraction and benefits of the device, but..

Any TPMS device that screws on to the valve defeats or disables the purpose of the valve core.. ie to keep the air in. The tyre is now solely dependent on this device to remain inflated.. any damage or failure, accidental or otherwise could cause a rapid deflation ..

Any mechanical system, in this case, a tyre, valve and wheel rim is only as good as it's weakest link.. this device replaces one link (the valve) with another that IMO is more likely to go wrong than the one it replaces.. so not for me.

Out of interest .. TPMS will soon be mandatory in all new cars...

Good points Jim, that is why the thread is made of brass the same as the valve core thread and sits deep over the valve. they have them on millions of miles in france and its not been an issue. Yes I mentioned the TPMS legislation for all cars in an earlier post :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Good points Jim, that is why the thread is made of brass the same as the valve core thread and sits deep over the valve. they have them on millions of miles in france and its not been an issue. Yes I mentioned the TPMS legislation for all cars in an earlier post :thumb:

fair comment Jim.. don't mind me... just another jaded old farte .. :roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The only time the power is used is when in low pressure

Are you sure Jim ? From the description it is an electronic pressure sensor that works like this....

1. Wait for high pressure.
2. Log initial pressure.
3. Subtract initial current current - is it greater than 4 ?
No - goto 3
4. We have low pressure
activate LED flasher
measure pressure, if zero goto 1

So I think it's using that battery all the time. Unless they have come up with a very neat mechanical way if implementing the above.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well, Sadly for you Jim, I have actually patented the device at the begining of the year. Fear not though, as I know you have invested significantly in to this venture just send me £1-50 for every one you sell. That way we can both be millionaires by the time the Northern show comes round. :thumb: Want any help selling them at shows? let me know, should make the shows more exciting and I have experience of that by the days spent giving out motorhome fun cards at the stalls you had back then..

To all the people that raise the questions about this product, some valid some kind of err weird? :Eeek:

What many of you are forgetting is this,

Whether it works or not, whether it is any good or not, whether it is even legal or not, You should stop! realise you are a motorhomer and bide by the motorhomers code of conduct.

FOR GOD SAKE IT'S ANOTHER TOY !!!!!! wer'e BOYS AND BOYS SHOULD HAVE THEM!!! we have solar panels aframes 10 million gigawhat inverters, useless Generators. Aframes HAnd brake extenders!!!!

THIS IS A MUST HAVE TOY....

I am going to get some, let my tyres down, and drive round with flashing red lights, or park up at meets with flashing red lights.....

Just to show everyone I have a new toy.... :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Are you sure Jim ? From the description it is an electronic pressure sensor that works like this....

1. Wait for high pressure.
2. Log initial pressure.
3. Subtract initial current current - is it greater than 4 ?
No - goto 3
4. We have low pressure
activate LED flasher
measure pressure, if zero goto 1

So I think it's using that battery all the time. Unless they have come up with a very neat mechanical way if implementing the above.

Translated from the french manufacturer blurb
Once the cap installed, an equal pressure will stay both sides of the sensor and this one will stay in place by keeping its original concave shape and thus nothing happens and NO ENERGY is needed as long as the 2 pressures remaining in the limits of the warning gaps of 4psi

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Translated from the french manufacturer blurb
Once the cap installed, an equal pressure will stay both sides of the sensor and this one will stay in place by keeping its original concave shape and thus nothing happens and NO ENERGY is needed as long as the 2 pressures remaining in the limits of the warning gaps of 4psi

Very clever. I think I can picture it now. Two tiny chambers, one deflects to store initial pressure and is sealed when screwed down, the second constantly connected to your tyre ( to scotjimland's dismay ) if that drops the two domes touch and power up a flashing LED.

If they are that clever I guess the sensing holes are so tiny the changes of catastrophic failure is also tiny.

Anyway, mine are are going on my bike, if either fails I'll haunt you.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Could I ask one last question, can the dust cap be removed and replaced onto a hot tyre. Does it re-calibrate as a one off when first fitted or does it re-calibrate each time it is replaced hot or cold.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a few questions.

How heavy are they, and will they make my already on the limit Eurovan overloaded.

Will they make my Aframe legal in Spain if I fit them.

Will they help prevent gas attacks.

Will I now be able to give my policeman's truncheon back which I have used for whacking tyres for the past 40 odd years to check pressures.

Are the batteries rechargeable, and if so will I now need a bigger solar panel.

Will I have to inform my insurers about the changes.

Can I just have one and keep moving it around the wheels on a weekly basis.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
interesting issues Buttons

I used to have the ones on the Smart, until there were stolen that moved the inside up and down between green and red .. on same principle .. no batteries .. Sue clipped the kurb with the low profile tyre and sliced the top off of the sender unit.. so the tyre went down over a short period as there was anti puncture liquid in the tyre.. we had already lost two of them (stolen) so did not replace.

I did consider having the senders on the inside of the tyres and also the out side one.. but the expenses said no.

I will be going with a set of 6 for the RV and 4 for the trailer as my pressures are 65 to 60 psi dependent on the axle. I like Jim has said would not leave them on in lay up period... I cover my wheels up in any case so would not see them... but I think they are a good idea when on the road in France as in June.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so what is to stop me....

Well, Sadly for you Jim, I have actually patented the device at the begining of the year. Fear not though, as I know you have invested significantly in to this venture just send me £1-50 for every one you sell. That way we can both be millionaires by the time the Northern show comes round. :thumb: Want any help selling them at shows? let me know, should make the shows more exciting and I have experience of that by the days spent giving out motorhome fun cards at the stalls you had back then..

To all the people that raise the questions about this product, some valid some kind of err weird? :Eeek:

What many of you are forgetting is this,

Whether it works or not, whether it is any good or not, whether it is even legal or not, You should stop! realise you are a motorhomer and bide by the motorhomers code of conduct.

FOR GOD SAKE IT'S ANOTHER TOY !!!!!! wer'e BOYS AND BOYS SHOULD HAVE THEM!!! we have solar panels aframes 10 million gigawhat inverters, useless Generators. Aframes HAnd brake extenders!!!!

THIS IS A MUST HAVE TOY....

I am going to get some, let my tyres down, and drive round with flashing red lights, or park up at meets with flashing red lights.....

Just to show everyone I have a new toy.... :thumb::thumb:

So what is to stop me buying just one.. get the unlock key and then visiting a few motorhomes and nicking the other 9, I need:Blush:.. a lot chapter...

Bob:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
a very valid point Buttons

Could I ask one last question, can the dust cap be removed and replaced onto a hot tyre. Does it re-calibrate as a one off when first fitted or does it re-calibrate each time it is replaced hot or cold.

From reading the posts I thought it re calibrates each time, yet I then read it does not as Jim suggests keeping the ones for the front separate if removed???? now I am lost.

But then some say that is normal..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Some Buttons you not only do 99 mpg but have wooden wheels... great .. my RV has wings..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
So what is to stop me buying just one.. get the unlock key and then visiting a few motorhomes and nicking the other 9, I need:Blush:.. a lot chapter...

Bob:Eeek:
it is a lot chapter? to do it that way,but honesty would stop you i hope?:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back