The SatNav was right, twice!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I know, my Garmin ML760 sat nav was correct not to route me the way I ended up going. Long story short. Was at Brownhills on Wednesday to get new rear light clusters fitted under warranty as they were misting up. Left Brownhills in Newark on Trent and set the destination in the sat nav to Rosedale Abbey CC site in Yorkshire and headed up the A1/M towards York. The sat nav told me there was a 77min delay on the preferred route so thought b*ll*cks and headed up to Thirsk. Took the A170 towards Pickering as I wanted to see how the MoHo handled the Sutton Bank climb, only dropped down into second once. Now I was getting twitchy as in what direction the sat nav would take me and out came the truckers atlas. The sat nav routed me along the A170 to the next turn off at Wrelton towards Rosedale Abbey. Now this is when I decided it was taking the wrong route and manually put in the route via Hutton-le-hole so we could see some of the country side. The sat nav said no and continued with its preferred route to which I being a man switched it off and went with Mk 1 eyeballs. That was my first mistake, the second was not switching it back on and following the instructions. Anyone been down Chimney Bank in their Motorhome? Not a pleasent experience in a 7.4m A class!! Lesson learnt on my part, sometimes sat navs are right. The camera does the angle of descent no justice.

Now that I have done it........ it was easy peasy. o_O:eek::D

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've only descended that hill in a Land Rover Discovery, low box selected to avoid using the brakes it was really easy, but your video brought me out in a cold sweat. Nicely handled that man, especially in view of the fact that the road was wet!

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
When I got to the second hairpin I realised that I had climbed that hill when out green laning with the Defender but we had done so many lanes that weekend its location did not register when descending. Just did what I would have done in the Defender, 2nd gear, left foot tucked in behind right leg (as far from clutch pedal as I can get) and right foot lightly using brake pedal. Not the best road to be on when Motorhoming but did find a couple of good wildcamping spots on the way down which should be nice and quiet. :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You might at least have stopped, turned round and given the poor bu**er getting drookit a lift back up to the pub!:rolleyes:

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
At the risk of sounding patronising, that was a pretty good piece of driving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back