mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well we have been touring along the coast of southern Spain now for over 14 days and stopping off at various camp sites, were now at the CABOPINA camp site near Marbella and meet many Brits who camp here for several months at a time, most of them have Satellite dishes of varying size's all of them were able to pull in BBC, ITV etc etc but due to the recent ASTRA satellite bandwith ?? change they can no longer. ... To add injury to their frustration some have paid hundred's if not thousands of pounds for retro fitted Satellite dishes on their MH's only to find they can only watch spurious English Language channels..:Sad::Sad:
So if your not multilingual what's the point of a Sat' dish when travelling aboard?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you are touring around then you will have a problem unless you pay for a decent internet connection and use Filmon.
As we are on a site for 3 months we are sharing a 1.4m dish which is picking up BBC and ITV okay.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well presumably once it settles down, peeps will work out 'work rounds' - but it's early days yet but at the end of the day - if the progs just aren't being beamed to places outside the scope of the new Satellite, then that's that.

People amused themselves prior to TV so they'll just have to amuse themselves again, if they want to go and stay in southern climes, won't they?

(Said she who has never really wanted a TV set in a van and still doesn't TBH. We don't even watch it much at home!)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we are the only nation that expects the locals to speak English learn the lingo if your are going to live there :thumb:

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
If you are touring around then you will have a problem unless you pay for a decent internet connection and use Filmon.
As we are on a site for 3 months we are sharing a 1.4m dish which is picking up BBC and ITV okay.

Mike

Sorry Mike Im confused, as far as I know its not possible to pick up Uk channels from a 1.4 Dish, based in sourthern Spain which is what my Topic's about, any Sat PRO'S out there who are aware of this:Smile:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I'm in Southern France at the moment and picking up the channels ok on my 85cm dish, which wasn't the case when I was in Spain. Apparently there are blackspots in various locations, see the link below which may help:

http://www.skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It should only be a problem if you are wilding. If on a site you should have TV hookup. We still are able to watch UK TV in Benidorm through the site hookup. Have no idea if my Oyster is working or not.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
With a 85cm dish you will loose the BBC's ITV's Channel fours and FIVE circa the Alps and the Pyrenees, and if you draw a arc from about Bordeaux to Lyon with a dome.

If you have a Sky subscription, not Freesat from Sky or free channels from Sky but a Monthly Sky subscription you will no be able to view your subscribed channels a long way across Spain, and most of Italy with your dish and a much improved service with a dome. This of course you shouldn't do though as it breaches your terms and conditions with Sky so I am NOT advocating that you understand.

The changes are to give the millions of people in the UK who pay for all of this a much better service, so a tighter higher quality footprint over a smaller area.

Imagine that up in the satellite there is a man with a massive Mag lite torch, the beam can be narrow and very bright, or very wide but wishy washy which is what we did have.

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm in Southern France at the moment and picking up the channels ok on my 85cm dish, which wasn't the case when I was in Spain. Apparently there are blackspots in various locations, see the link below which may help:

That's interesting wasn't Sky/BBC part of the reason for the Astra block due to the legality issue of the Uk contract between Sky and BBC Uk based licence fee??

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Interesting article in that link about the impact on internet speeds in Spain linked to the BBC changes - i.e. it sounds as if large numbers of ex-pats switching over to internet based services is overloading the network.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We got all our channels in the Alps this February.

It kept the kids off our backs!::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are currently on the south coast of Sicily.

Just watched the T20 cricket on Sky Sports 2, what a great win for England v Sri Lanka.

The only channels missing are, all BBC, ITV1, and Channel 4 and some of the "4" channels.

I have got Ch 5 HD, ITV 2, 3 and 4 ALL in HD.
All Sky Sports HD, Eurosport 1 & 2, BT Sports 1 &2 HD.
All Sky Movies, DAVE, Gold, Sky News, CNN, Euronews etc.

In fact the whole Sky package except The channels mentioned before.

We lost BBC, ITV 1 and Ch 4 of NW Spain. We got them back again in Marseille for a day, lost them when we left Marseille for Sardinia and we have been all the way up the Adriatic to Ravenna with no other losses.

And if you need Corrie you can watch the repeats on ITV 2 HD...

SO IT'S NOT ALL BAD.....!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Just watched the T20 cricket on Sky Sports 2, what a great win for England v Sri Lanka.

The only channels missing are, all BBC, ITV1, and Channel 4 and some of the "4" channels.

We lost BBC, ITV 1 and Ch 4 of NW Spain. We got them back again in Marseille for a day, lost them when we left Marseille for Sardinia and we have been all the way up the Adriatic to Ravenna with no other losses.

Yes for some reason they have put ITV2 HD, ITV3HD and ITV4HD on the Southern beam, but only HD

Overall if your a Sky subscriber things haven't worked out too bad :thumb:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003

You may be out of the footprint for the channels listed below, apparently they were not transferred to Astra 2E with the rest of the BBC package (quote below), it may be worth looking for these in the 977 region of your box while on your travels, we shall be trying these while away in the next few months, let us know if and where you do get them.:thumb:

'A small number of channels are unaffected by the change. These are on the multiplex “DSAT 8” which is carried on Astra 2F (also at 28.2°East). These are BBC ONE Scotland HD, BBC ONE Wales HD, BBC FOUR HD, BBC NEWS HD, CBeebies HD.'

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry Mike Im confused, as far as I know its not possible to pick up Uk channels from a 1.4 Dish, based in sourthern Spain which is what my Topic's about, any Sat PRO'S out there who are aware of this:Smile:

A 1.4m dish works at la Manga, watching BBC 1 at the moment.

Mike

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You may be out of the footprint for the channels listed below, apparently they were not transferred to Astra 2E with the rest of the BBC package (quote below), it may be worth looking for these in the 977 region of your box while on your travels, we shall be trying these while away in the next few months, let us know if and where you do get them.:thumb:

'A small number of channels are unaffected by the change. These are on the multiplex “DSAT 8” which is carried on Astra 2F (also at 28.2°East). These are BBC ONE Scotland HD, BBC ONE Wales HD, BBC FOUR HD, BBC NEWS HD, CBeebies HD.'

Tried on all these, as well as a manual search.

All BBC regional and national channels including from 951 to 979 disappeared at the same time off NW Spain. We got them back in Marseille but as soon as we headed south again they were lost...

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
if you are using a skybox try putting 12480 v 27500 in the add channels menu. this is a transponder for the irish channel 4 and is on the pan european beam so is easier to recieve. worked for me on my oyster when all the bbc's and itv had disappeared. better than nothing :Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
if you are using a skybox try putting 12480 v 27500 in the add channels menu. this is a transponder for the irish channel 4 and is on the pan european beam so is easier to recieve. worked for me on my oyster when all the bbc's and itv had disappeared. better than nothing :Smile:

Just put this transponder into my Sky+HD Box...

I am now pickling up Ch4, Ch4+1, E4 etc, here close to Catonia in Sicily. Nice one.....:thumb:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
if you all have 2meg internet i can get you everything

perfect picture no proxy required for southern Europe forget the dish ,
pm me for information,, no probs :winky:

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
go for filmon watchng all uk chanels down here in tata marrok no problem . 200 dh for sim per month unlimited use . a bit slow in remoter areas but any where near towns good . :thumb::thumb: stan

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
It should only be a problem if you are wilding. If on a site you should have TV hookup. We still are able to watch UK TV in Benidorm through the site hookup. Have no idea if my Oyster is working or not.

Why on earth would you want to watch TV when you have sticky Vicky on your doorstep ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
go for filmon watchng all uk chanels down here in tata marrok no problem . 200 dh for sim per month unlimited use . a bit slow in remoter areas but any where near towns good . :thumb::thumb: stan

Hi, we have our motorhome stored in the UK and will be using it this July for a few months in Europe. Can you please explain how this works, as our small stand alone satellite dish has not worked for us previously. Aussie Mathilde

Deleted User
Hi, we have our motorhome stored in the UK and will be using it this July for a few months in Europe. Can you please explain how this works, as our small stand alone satellite dish has not worked for us previously. Aussie Mathilde

http://www.filmon.com/

Simply go to this website and watch UK TV and others anywhere as long as you have a decent internet/wifi connection

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
The problem is the wifi connection. Do you buy an internet card in each country? We usually just use internet cafes or McDonalds now and then. If so, is there any preference in providers. Many thanks for your help

Deleted User
The problem is the wifi connection. Do you buy an internet card in each country? We usually just use internet cafes or McDonalds now and then. If so, is there any preference in providers. Many thanks for your help

That could be a problem, streaming TV gobbles up bandwidth and whilst possible on some mobile(3G) networks would probably be very expensive.

We are on sites mostly and use the site wifi system,either included in rate or separate tariff but this can be unreliable.

If you only want to watch UK TV at irregular ntervals then a Europasim would probably be best for touring Europe, €3 a day for 500Mb last time I looked, available from http://www.motorhomewifi.com/

along with lots of other stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back