The Salvage Tour - January 2022 (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
So, from today (having had covid for best part of a week) I am free!!! Yay!
I had 2 weeks annual leave, one week ruined with covid but today we are heading north and salvaging some of our holiday!

Never mind we originally were going to France, never mind they closed and we decided 2 weeks round the NC500 then were going to do the Welsh Coastal route but the wife's decided she wants Northumberland area too. There will be other holidays and we will be making the best of a week round England with a different place per night. Rough itinerary below starting with the Ladybower Inn tonight with a meal for 2 booked.

1 lady bower
2 Manchester on the Sister in Laws drive as we will be going out for her 60th birthday (last week, but again, covid :-( )
3 Whitby
4 Bamburgh
5 galloway forest
6 kielder forest
7 Lake District somewhere
8 home

Other than the first two nights we'll be winging where to sleep the night :) Any suggestions for this time of year are of course welcome :)

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 08.43.37.png

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Whitby and Bamburgh you could struggle for over nights if not using sites. Nearby I would try the Craster arms in Beadnell or the Cottage inn near Dunstan for Bamburgh.
Whitby, I cannot help. They’re not very motorhome friendly in that area unless on a site.
I would probably try the Northern Dales instead. I can recommend the Fat Lamb Inn near Kirkby Stephen or Tan Hill Inn .

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Make sure you put pics on here of where you stay ,please

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Hi Paul,
We stayed overnight at the Pheasant Inn, near to. Keilder, the food was very good as I remember. Also the CB Inn between Reeth and Tan Hill, large car park, good views and excellent food.
Enjoy your week

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi Paul,
We stayed overnight at the Pheasant Inn, near to. Keilder, the food was very good as I remember. Also the CB Inn between Reeth and Tan Hill, large car park, good views and excellent food.
Enjoy your week
I’ve often looked at both of those, the pheasant and CB. Good to hear they’re both good. Thanks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Last year you could overnight by Whitby abbey for £5 I think, not used it but definitely read it somewhere

It is a long walk down and then back up though 🤔👍

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Last year you could overnight by Whitby abbey for £5 I think, not used it but definitely read it somewhere

It is a long walk down and then back up though 🤔👍
Err, no! We did overnight at the showground next to the Abbey, which is open for a limited number of days in the season as an unofficial campsite, but it was £25 per night for the parking, cash only, with zero facilities. Lovely views, obviously!

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
The Horse Inn at Egton Bridge, could be an option, good food and near to Whitby, scenic walks, the NYM steam railway nearby.
The NYM are so underrated

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The Horse Inn at Egton Bridge, could be an option, good food and near to Whitby, scenic walks, the NYM steam railway nearby.
The NYM are so underrated
Now that’s a great idea. We’ve stayed at the pub at Egton Bridge. Is it the Post House or something similar? Catch the train into Whitby a couple of beers lunch and back to the van for the evening. Sounds great to me.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
For SW Sco try Forest of Ae or Kirroughtree forest. Both have cafe / day facilties and are used by hill bikers and walkers. Website Visit Scotland.

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Whitby is somehow at its best in winter, without the hoards of tourists.
The coastal path had stunning views and the bus service is okay excellent, making a one way possible.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Last night was the Ladybower Inn for a meal a few beers and sleep over in the carpark. It's £20 to overnight :oops: but free if you eat and we'd booked in for a meal (y) It's a case of waiting for a space though, busy busy when we got there on a saturday afternoon as the suns going down so went to derwent water for an hours wander then back to get a space. There were a couple of larger mohos inc a hymer, about 3 or 4 little vw's / minivans so had to be inventive with space. (used 1 in front of the other).
IMG_0440.JPG

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I’ve stayed at both the Fat Lamb and Tan Hill. Fat Lamb was great food but alas Tan Hill wasnt!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve stayed at both the Fat Lamb and Tan Hill. Fat Lamb was great food but alas Tan Hill wasnt!
Yes Tan Hill has been crap food every time we’ve stayed, overpriced frozen garbage, not been for a few years though so could have changed.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Agreed re the food at both. The Fat Lamb food is really very good. Tan Hill not so much. Tan Hill is trading on its position.
The Fat Lamb have now made proper hard standings for motorhomes. The first time we stayed it was just in the car park. The hard standings are great.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
thanks again all, just had a lovely night out with wife and sister in law to celebrate (sister in laws) 60th birthday, great to see her as she's pretty much all alone up here in Manchester, her dad died last year and mother in a home with dementia going on 4 or 5 years now :-(
Beautiful start to the day with a lovely frost though.
3 drive.jpg

Wife didn't sleep well due to (allegedly your honour) my snoring so Im letting her sleep in til 10 then we'll probably take a trip to Morecambe for a stop then carry on to Newby Bridge for tonight by Lake Windermere.
We've ended up going clockwise instead of the original plan for anticlockwise, just makes more sense now we're in Manchester.
Tomorrow night, really not sure, really like the idea of somewhere in Galloway forest area, though also that Fat Lamb sounds damn good as recommended earlier in the thread.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
And tonight after a trip through Lancaster to Morecambe and Bowness on Windermere we've ended up setting up for the night at Newby Bridge end of Windermere lake. We did think about popping in for a drink in the adjacent Lakeside Spa and Brasserie but having looked at the reviews online decided to pass.
3 lakeside.jpg

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
A little catchup as it's been a busy couple of days. We left Windermere on a lovely misty Monday Morning and headed for Northumberland, we were looking at Berwick upon Tweed but the Mrs was in the mood for a hot shower and some "luxury" so we ended up booking a pitch on Coldingham Bay Leisure park arriving after dark.
Problem was that we'd had the confirmation booking and payment but never had another email about booking in etc.
As I say it was dark and we simply found reception dark and empty, nothing outside on the door for us (like we've had in other places as part of contactless checkins etc), so I decided we'd simply find the empty pitches available, choose one and plug in the EHU and see if it worked, and it did. So, up on ramps, windscreen cover on, heating on then rang up the number in the first email to let them know what had happened. To be fair they were very good and apologetic and they had no bother with what we'd done, though apparantly they'd booked us on a different pitch but it wasn't a problem they said.

4 lakeside.jpg

The obligatory stop on the border. Wee Jimmy Crankie was nowhere to be seen.

4 scotland.jpg

Set up at Coldingham.
4 coldingham bay.jpg

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
And then this morning (Wednesday) was gorgeous, cold but gorgeous and had a great nights sleep. That duvalay is paying for itself!
51.jpg

52.jpg

Then tonight, after spending longer than we planned at North Berwick where her indoors decided to buy some new shoes to cheer herself up, we've ended up in the lovely Elie.

5elie1.jpg
5elie2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back