Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I've just finished washing the roof of MoHo. I used, firstly, Fenwicks motorhome cleaner yesterday and today used Maguires ultimate wash and wax.

The condition of the roof was poor with the usual grime and grot of winter

The roof appears to be clean, and I've started to put polish on, again a top brand, Maguires,
But it doesn't look right, full of swirl marks, almost as if it needed T Cut. (I know that's a no-no)

So question is
Do you polish and wax your roof?
Do you wax only?
Do you throw a bucket of soapy water at it say "job done"?
Am I being anal?:)

All advice welcome
Geoff

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Out of sight out of mind for us :sneaky:

I'm hardly the voice of experience here (last weekend was the first time we've washed the MH)....our method was: spray the top with water, give it a bit of a brush to get the worst of the grime off, rinse off and then move on to the sides. The sides were washed properly with Autoglym cleaner (which got most of the black streaks off) and any streaky bits on the decals were dried off with a microfibre cloth. Then we stood back, said to each other that it looks a lot better than it did before, put everything away and had a beer. :cheers:

I've waxed the car in the past and that was hard enough work - don't really fancy doing it on the MH too!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Can't see the roof... but I do like to keep the sides clean. Seen to many fellas in the A&E department on TV to risk getting up there anyhow. My excuse.. I don't have a ladder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
if it was mine and...

I had some spare time, then
  • Polish
  • Wax
  • Admire
  • Relax
OR

I didn't have some spare time, then
  • Wax
  • Relax
  • Make a note to add polishing the roof to the list of outstanding jobs!

:)

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
if it was mine and...

I had some spare time, then
  • Polish
  • Wax
  • Admire
  • Relax
OR

I didn't have some spare time, then
  • Wax
  • Relax
  • Make a note to add polishing the roof to the list of outstanding jobs!

:)

Thanks for reply. I just looking to make future life easier. Just the wax is fine then?

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Thanks for reply. I just looking to make future life easier. Just the wax is fine then?

In my opinion the best answer will always be a good polish to flat the surface and then sealed by a couple coats of high quality wax.

But having said that, I wouldn't burst into tears if all I had the time to achieve was the application of a good coat of wax. It will still make life easier in the long run.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I haven't done mine yet as i ran out of time last weekend but it will be as follows

Wash
Decontaminate
Wash
Clay mitt
Wash
Polish
Wax
Quick Detailer

Cider Time :D

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I haven't done mine yet as i ran out of time last weekend but it will be as follows

Wash
Decontaminate
Wash
Clay mitt
Wash
Polish
Wax
Quick Detailer

Cider Time :D
I do like the last item on the list.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sainsbury car park.
£16 for a large van wash and wax by our East European cousins.
If they miss the roof threaten them with immigration officers.
Get there early before their water gets dirty.

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
A related question - Every time we use the van, which is often, I wash the van including the roof. Today is annual polish and wax day. Done the polish, now the wax. The question is this: As the roof is polyester, do I have to polish and/or wax it? I really don't want to expend effort needlessly ! Comments? Thanks

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
A related question - Every time we use the van, which is often, I wash the van including the roof. Today is annual polish and wax day. Done the polish, now the wax. The question is this: As the roof is polyester, do I have to polish and/or wax it? I really don't want to expend effort needlessly ! Comments? Thanks

Clean really well then wax. Use Colinite476S as it lasts well. No real need to polish unless it's really rough to the touch of stained/dirty....

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Thanks. A reply just in time. I have some Colinite 476S and the roof is clean so off up the ladder now, tin in hand.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
If you have a van conversion waxing the roof is a must as they tend to rust very easily. For those that have a roof full of accessories a regular coating of an aquawax will be the best option ( you can even put it underneath the solar panel). Please be very careful if you are waxing your roof, I have several customers who have broken limbs from falls (they call me after the event)

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
We employ a great van cleaner called Mike and have it done once a year. Not sure he waxes the roof though. Will have to enquire next week when he arrives...

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I've done the roof! Massive difference, especially all the crap not sticking on.
Intend giving a second coat of colonite this weekend.
Question is: can/ should I wax the solar panel and the roof lights?
Geoff

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
I personally wouldn't do the roof lights as the carrier in wax tends to be petrochemical/solvent based.

As for the solar panels, worth checking the owners blurb to see what they say as it depends on the surface coating but expect it will say just wash and dry.

When I am valeting, I make sure the solar panels are washed and then dried off; roof lights/deck hatches get the same treatment unless the customer has asked for them to be polished which has an additional cost.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I've done the roof! Massive difference, especially all the crap not sticking on.
Intend giving a second coat of colonite this weekend.
Question is: can/ should I wax the solar panel and the roof lights?
Geoff

Skylights yes solar panels a definite no. !!

The company I owned and ran fitted many solar panels. I was a roofing contractor for over 38 years.

You want the solar panels clean but not treated with any product that adds reflection. You want the panels to absorb the heat and light not reflect it.

It's the same for both domestic and vehicular panels.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
IMG_2636.PNG

Roof light info

Last edited:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I would use an aqua wax ( such as Demonshine or Bobbydazzler ) on both but Charlie has said on another thread that he thought it might deminish the solar panel efficiency.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Good info my friend but pretty much any quality soft microfibre cloth will be fine and waxing will help preserve the surface reflect sunlight which decreases over time discolouration and will help stop stains and deterioration from bird lime and tree sap.

It was only some info I found on the web to answer the OP's question, not in any way suggesting that the products recommended by Heki were the only ones to be used. As the adverts say - other brands of microfibre clothes are available... (y)

Personally I still wouldn't use a wax on the roof lights and Collinite dont list perspex/acrylic on their list of recommended uses for 476s.
Maybe it is because I am risk adverse when it comes to product liability. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back