Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
In May 2019 we're planning to travel North to South, the Romantic route with no time scale.

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent motorhome camping sites or Stellplatz. Our requirement is walking distant to a local castle or medieval castle.

Whist I have the ACSI app it's always good to veer towards recommended sites.

Over to you. T h a n k s.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
I can’t tell you any specifics but the stellplatz are fabulous and cheap . Try camper contact or bord atlas for info. Reviews usually tell you info you need. Pick a town and search on the camper contact map or google. That’s how we just did the Mosel . Sure someone can tell you more specifics

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Only stayed on 1 site during our 3 weeks in the Moselle and all the stellplatz we stayed at were nicer and loads cheaper than the site was. I can only assume it's the same along the Romantic route.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Be sure to visit Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Fantastic place.
And there is a campsite at the bottom of the hill or a couple of Stellplatz at the parking just outside the town walls.

Martin

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Lovely castle at Heidelberg, was there last week , not sure about sites as we were staying at Eberbach and went in by train but well worth a visit.
Public transport very cheap , a day ticket for bus and train €5.50

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Agree,

But TBH the whole route is manufactured (like the NC500) so really not brilliant.

I agree with the above.

There are a number of themed routes through Germany - all oversubscribed in my view... coach tours, tourists, etc.

Germany is wonderful - why not just plan your own route? There are fantastic stellplatz all over the country.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Be sure to visit Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Fantastic place.
Another vote for RODT. Also Wurzburg and Fussen - we found the middle ‘bit’ didn’t have much going for it, but the castles are beautiful. We have a list of the Stellplatz we stayed at if you want them. (y)

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Cliffandger.
If there are any seriously decent Stellplatz you'd recommend then I'll have their names and I'll look them up on ACSI. Thanks

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Cliffandger.
If there are any seriously decent Stellplatz you'd recommend then I'll have their names and I'll look them up on ACSI. Thanks

There are so many and very few are on ACSI. You would be better advised to download the free Camper Contact (https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads) to your sat nav and Park4Night to your phone. So much easier and so many more alternatives.
Visit Rothenburg ob der Tauber there is a motorhome park next to the town, get there early it gets very busy and its 12€/24 hours.
There obviously lots to see in Germany - what do you like doing?

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Stealaway. Thanks for thread. We will have our doggie with us so exploring the castles and medieval towns is primary.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Rhein Falls worth a visit , we went to Schaffhausen, obviously a busy tourist location but impressive.

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Stealaway. Thanks. It's printing off now.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Some good places and some mediocre on the route. Youcan pick up a map and guide from any tourist office on the route that show the stelplaz. Regarding Rothenberg ODT it is a must but be warned it is a huge tourist honey pot. Stay as close as you can (there is one stelplaz within yards of the walls). You can then walk in early before the coaches arrive, or go in at dusk when it is absolutely magical

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
Definitely worth visiting the towns of Dinkelsbühl and Nördlingen. They are only 30 km apart on the route, but both have excellent Stellplätze which cost about €6 / night and both have water and EHU for a small fee.
In Nördlingen it is possible to walk almost the entire length of the old town wall along the parapets.
Together with Rothenburg ob der Tauber these three are the most striking historic towns on the northern part of the route.

Further south, Landsberg am Lech is also worth visiting. Although the Stellplatz there is part of a larger car park, and not as nice as the other three, it is within easy walking distance of the old town.

We have just come back from Füssen. We stayed at a good campsite at nearby Brunnen. This is normally on the banks of the Forggensee, but the lake has almost no water for the whole of 2018 due to repair work on the dam.
At least it was an easy 6 km ride with the bikes to Hohenschwangau from where we walked up to the castles of Neuschwanstein and Schloss Hohenschwangau.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We did up the mozel then down the rhine and down the romantic road in May. The Mosel & Rhine were ok but apart from a couple of nice places the "Romantic Road" was anything but - didn't enjoy it at all & ended up cutting it short & going straight to Lake Constance where we visited hymer museum, zeppelin museum & a couple of other nice towns before heading home.

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Jaygee. Putting aside I assume amazing castles & medieval towns what aspects of the Romantic road did you not enjoy?

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Jaygee. Putting aside I assume amazing castles & medieval towns what aspects of the Romantic road did you not enjoy?

we did enjoy a few of the medieval towns ( often filled to breaking point with Japanese tourists!) but the rest were just ordinary busy roads & ordinary town that you would drive through with out stopping. Just wasn't for us.

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Jaygee. Thanks for your thoughts. We've booked the tunnel for May 2019. We're doing loads of groundwork to be very picky on the places we'll visit.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We're doing loads of groundwork to be very picky on the places we'll visit.

No! you need more time to explore.
We have spent months and months in Germany and still not seen that much.
We love Bavaria which the Bavarians will tell is a whole different country, for us the further south you go the better it gets -- but you need time.
Don't try to do it all in one hit move around every day in the general direction south and see what you find, you might even find the Black Forest oh bugger another huge area to ex

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Cliffandger.

I think ACSI relates to sites.

You'll find stellplatz everywhere you go. Use park4night if you wish to plan in advance but generally we just drive to where we want to be and find them when we're there. Some are totally free, some levy a small charge if there are facilities. From our experience all are good and quite a few are fantastic.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We did the Romantic Strasse last May. Started at Wurtzburg and finished at Fussen. By then I felt a bit overwhelmed all romanticed out. There are lots of beautiful towns but after a while they become a bit samey.
Moving on to Bodensee was a welcome change and beautiful in a different way.
We stayed on stellplatze and had no difficulty finding them using search for sites and the Bord Atlas. Be prepared to pay cash for parking and everything else. Germans seem to have an aversion to cards. Also don't expect to find free wifi or any wifi at all. Take your own.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We did some of it this year. Can't remember at the moment where we stayed but just used the ACSI book and the internet for stellplatz. Dinkelsbuhl and Rothenburg were great. Some of the road is just main road, not romantic at all,so we went mostly off the main road and travelled alongside it through lovely little villages and beautiful countryside. Just did it the old fashioned way with maps!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Like everywhere the well known places are going to be full of tourists but if it's what you want to visit they're still worth it
Places like Hidelburgh stay on a site up the river and get a boat or train in.
Not been mentioned yet but YouTube is good for getting ideas of what a place is like

OP
OP
Husky

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Thank you to everyone who contributed their thoughts, opinions and suggestions. There is so much to see and even with all the time in world there are only so many castles and medieval towns one can cope with. Our plan is to split our 2019 trip into 3 parts. 4 Castles/Medieval towns on the Romantic Route then Lake Constance and then onto the Black forest. All in our 7.77m Swift Bolero with our electric bikes & doggy.

As I write this, here in Wiltshire, the rain in torrential. Our motorhome is safely in a barn enjoying the comfort of dryness. xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back