since 1968
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you're doing the Romantic Road, here's something that may be of interest that is not widely advertised. Just by Nordlingen is a large meteor crater, one of the very few in Europe that have not been completely weathered away. Don't expect it to stand out like that Meteor Crater in USA. But if you know what to look for, there is a totally flat area a mile or two across, with raised edges round the rim, in the middle of gently rolling countryside. It's called the Nordlinger Ries.

The church in the middle of Nordlingen is made of rock from the shattered, melted rim of the crater. It looks like ordinary grey stone, but with a closer look, anyone with any geological knowledge would see evidence of the incredible forces that made this stone like it is now.

Nordlingen itself is a great tourist site, a medeival town with complete, intact covered walls. There's a meteor crater museum for more information on the whole thing.

MikeandJulie

Free Member
Sep 12, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
5 years
Some great insight here for our forthcoming trip in June from UK to Croatia. We've travelled the Romantische Strasse before and as per some of these reviews, some places were well worth stopping in so will concentrate on the start in Wurzburg and the end in Fussen and take in some castles along the way. With the Aires, it is mentioned that we should turn up early to get a decent spot. How early is early please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
There are so many and very few are on ACSI. You would be better advised to download the free Camper Contact (https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads) to your sat nav and Park4Night to your phone. So much easier and so many more alternatives.
Visit Rothenburg ob der Tauber there is a motorhome park next to the town, get there early it gets very busy and its 12€/24 hours.
There obviously lots to see in Germany - what do you like doing?

Didn’t know you can do this. Brilliant bit if info.

How do you do this?

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Not sure what you need to know? -- But happy to help
Thank you for your offer of help.

I don’t know how to get the info from the site into my garmin sat nav.

I reckon I must down load it into a pc then somehow move the file into the garmin when it’s connected to the pc.
Thinking must be via a transferring a file or 2.??

Am I on the right track?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'm sorry but I have a TomTom and that is download as a ov2 file. It recognises as a POI and happy lets me download it to the memory.
It is available for Garmin but I have no idea how to do it.

Someone might be along who can help you, or try a search on here

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Ok.
Forgetting the actual make of sat nav.
Do you
1 download files to pc
2 upload into sat nav from pc.??

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
With the Aires, it is mentioned that we should turn up early to get a decent spot. How early is early please?

We did this last year and found that turning up about lunch time or just before was good as vans leaving after breakfast but will depend on the aire and they did fill up by early evening. We had a great time :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back