The Romantic Route, Germany (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Thank you to everyone who contributed their thoughts, opinions and suggestions. There is so much to see and even with all the time in world there are only so many castles and medieval towns one can cope with. Our plan is to split our 2019 trip into 3 parts. 4 Castles/Medieval towns on the Romantic Route then Lake Constance and then onto the Black forest. All in our 7.77m Swift Bolero with our electric bikes & doggy.

As I write this, here in Wiltshire, the rain in torrential. Our motorhome is safely in a barn enjoying the comfort of dryness. xx
Great trip! Last year we set out for Cadiz via France and didn't get anywhere near it because we stopped at so many lovely places on the way so this year we were determined to get to Slovenia and Croatia. We just picked a few places to stop on the way so we actually got there. It was a bit frustrating at times not to detour but we noted all the places we want to visit another time.

May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
re-living the gloryb days of series 2 BC
so here's an alternative view - we did the whole Mosel-Rhine-Romantic route two years ago with our smallish pooch - like Trier (travelled down from Luxembourg but Mosel far too busy with vans queuing at gates open to get riverside pitch - Rhine was ok but a bit 'industrial' - liked most of the Romantic route with a detour up to the Danude at Miltenburg (not yet discovered by Brits) - then drove down to Alps stopping at Oberammergau - ended up with trip up zugspitz. We tend to use ACSI as this makes planning easier (for us anyway). Also managed to get to Neuschwanstein which is a bit overrated but well worth the effort but does get very busy very quickly - a greta country with friendly helpful people (mostly) - enjoy

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Looks like you have enough help but...….
Think about driving down the Rhine en route to the RR - From Cologne down to Rüdesheim there are lots of interesting castles and plenty of good places to stop. You don't need to drive it all if you don't want to as the railway runs alongside and a central location would enable you to take bikes on train and explore - just a thought
agree with suggestions for good places on R Road already made but would add Harburg to the list and warn that we found the pitches at Dinklesbuhl a bit short for us at 9.0m. You may be ok but we stuck out like the proverbial by a long way so you may be marginal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cliffandger.
If there are any seriously decent Stellplatz you'd recommend then I'll have their names and I'll look them up on ACSI. Thanks
I have the list of where we stayed at Home (we’re in Corfu until Thursday) but can let you have them when we get back.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you to everyone who contributed their thoughts, opinions and suggestions. There is so much to see and even with all the time in world there are only so many castles and medieval towns one can cope with. Our plan is to split our 2019 trip into 3 parts. 4 Castles/Medieval towns on the Romantic Route then Lake Constance and then onto the Black forest. All in our 7.77m Swift Bolero with our electric bikes & doggy.

As I write this, here in Wiltshire, the rain in torrential. Our motorhome is safely in a barn enjoying the comfort of dryness. xx

They are big on bikes in Germany a majority that we saw in the last month were Bosch based electric and they pedalled every where on pavements and town centres and pedestrians , few wore helmets and cars gave way.
We spent some time in the Black Forest and also Lake Constance, beautiful.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Don't overplan it's a great area to explore. Some places may appeal to u more and a longer stopover is much better than having to rush on to the next planned stop. 1 or 2 acsi sites we thought we might stop at turned out less than ideal so we just moved on.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Fussen and Ludwig's place are the only things stuck in my mind.

The rest, well what is romantic about black tarmac ?

The really good part, Fussen points you to Austria and Italy.

Katja

Free Member
Oct 6, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
Conversion: Fiat Ducato
Exp
I agree with what people said before. Don't just follow a theme road - you will most ikely be disappointed - but decide what places you like to see and go for them. With regard to your doggie, make sure he/she is allowed in the castles as well. This is not always the case, unfortunately. The towns are not an issue and most places, like restaurants, are very dog friendly, at least as long as the doggies are well behaved ;-). You might want to consider the Pfälzer Wald (I think it translates Palatinate Forest), there you'll find a lot of castle ruins which make nice hiking day trips.

With regard to the Black Forest, probably due to attracting bike tourist, most trails there are now covered with crushed rock and all the old, beautiful trails have been allowed to become comletely overgrown. They are virtually no longer usable, even by the most dedicted hikers. I mention that, because I had to cut short a trip after 3 days recently, as my dog (a Whippet) hurt her feet badly on the crushed rock while hiking.

Apart from that, May is a very good time to travel Germany.

Have fun!
Kat

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK watching this thread as we are planning on travelling that route at around the same time as 2 motorhomes together -

But here's one question I can't find an answer to - on the stelplatz is it the same as France where you do not pay for parking when you have a blue badge ????

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Where did you park? The MoHo parking just outside the walls had mega length spots.
It might be the Stellplatz by the Cemetry in Dinklesbul, the pitches are quite short. At 9 metre`s you`d definately stick out !

DSC_3560.JPG

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
It might be the Stellplatz by the Cemetry in Dinklesbul, the pitches are quite short. At 9 metre`s you`d definately stick out !

View attachment 260443

By the cemetery is the official Stellplatz, with easy parking up to 7m.
The one by the town wall is not a Stellplatz, it is a car park with more space.
Overnight stopping seems to be tolerated.

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
OK watching this thread as we are planning on travelling that route at around the same time as 2 motorhomes together -

But here's one question I can't find an answer to - on the stelplatz is it the same as France where you do not pay for parking when you have a blue badge ????

On German Stellplätze there are no special badges or stickers. You pay what is signposted.
A lot are free, some cost €5-€8, and some cost €10 or more.
Generally you pay for water and electricity and you might have to pay to rinse toilet cassettes, although usually not.

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
On German Stellplätze there are no special badges or stickers. You pay what is signposted.
A lot are free, some cost €5-€8, and some cost €10 or more.
Generally you pay for water and electricity and you might have to pay to rinse toilet cassettes, although usually not.

Hi I was meaning the disabled Blue Badge as when we are in France parking on a Motorhome Parking Aire for us it's actually Free unless specified or if you have to pay to get in

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Visit Rothenburg ob der Tauber there is a motorhome park next to the town, get there early it gets very busy and its 12€/24 hours.
Hi Stealaway,I've been to RODT every year since 2004 on way back from Bike Week in Austria on the Harley and stayed at the magnificent Glocke hotel, however next year I want to go in the motorhome (I'm a newbie) and was wondering what time is best to hit the stellplatz outside the gates? what time do people tend to leave the stellplatz to move on. Thanks

for anyone wishing to visit RODT it really is'nt that good:whistle::whistle: (only joking) and it's full of chinese and japanese tourists, who incidentally stay outside the walls in the "cheap" hotels.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Hi I was meaning the disabled Blue Badge as when we are in France parking on a Motorhome Parking Aire for us it's actually Free unless specified or if you have to pay to get in
Cant say I have ever seen that concession on any German Stellplatz

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@WESTY66 I stayed two nights earlier this year on the RODT Stellplatz outside the town walls. It`s similar to most Aires, people who are moving on tend to leave about 10/11 am then people start arriving around lunchtime. When I was there it was quiet and never filled up completely. At busy times it may be full by mid afternoon, but there is also a large carpark adjacent which I think acts as unofficial overflow and probably empties late afternoon.
We loved the town and when we were there an American brass band and choir were in town from Illinois doing free performances in the square and a church - fantastic !

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
and was wondering what time is best to hit the stellplatz outside the gates? what time do people tend to leave the stellplatz to move on.

We were there from around dinner time but first needed to empty the cassette and top up with water for a shower -2€.
We went around to town for the afternoon and by early evening it was full. Vans continued arriving until after 10.00 and having to move on elsewhere.
We toured Germany for many years by bike and staying at hotels. You'll soon realise you've gone from parking anywhere to wondering where to park this bloody great thing!!!!
Did you visit Speyer? - a huge collection of Munch Mammoth - https://speyer.technik-museum.de/de/ausstellung

upload_2018-10-9_21-33-31.png

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My experience on this trip is they are either free or privately owned with no concessions.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I agree with what people said before. Don't just follow a theme road - you will most ikely be disappointed - but decide what places you like to see and go for them. With regard to your doggie, make sure he/she is allowed in the castles as well. This is not always the case, unfortunately. The towns are not an issue and most places, like restaurants, are very dog friendly, at least as long as the doggies are well behaved ;-). You might want to consider the Pfälzer Wald (I think it translates Palatinate Forest), there you'll find a lot of castle ruins which make nice hiking day trips.

With regard to the Black Forest, probably due to attracting bike tourist, most trails there are now covered with crushed rock and all the old, beautiful trails have been allowed to become comletely overgrown. They are virtually no longer usable, even by the most dedicted hikers. I mention that, because I had to cut short a trip after 3 days recently, as my dog (a Whippet) hurt her feet badly on the crushed rock while hiking.

Apart from that, May is a very good time to travel Germany.

Have fun!
Kat
I've just done some walking in the Black Forest today. We haven't been here for 40 years but I came across the crushed rock on the path today. It didn't look right but I guess it reduces erosion.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thanks for that, no not done speyer or sinsheim yet, passed them on the autobahn a few times, I guess nows the time to slow down a bit and explore a lot more!! Just struggling to get the 5-7 hour ride and settle down for night routine out my system!

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
My experience on this trip is they are either free or privately owned with no concessions.

Thanks for that information
We have not yet ventured into Germany ,Holland or even Belgium so SWMBO has told me we are going to do the Romantic road so go lots of information to find as I'm supposed to know everything :tmi::tmi:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We have just come back from Füssen. We stayed at a good campsite at nearby Brunnen. This is normally on the banks of the Forggensee, but the lake has almost no water for the whole of 2018 due to repair work on the dam.
At least it was an easy 6 km ride with the bikes to Hohenschwangau from where we walked up to the castles of Neuschwanstein and Schloss Hohenschwangau.
We've got fond memories of kayaking on the lake, must be very different without it!
Also remember the shower cubicles with alpine views :)
https://www.camping-brunnen.de/en/

IMGP0031.JPG 43604456_1057657264407533_3612536381810671616_n.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have not yet ventured into Germany ,Holland or even Belgium so SWMBO has told me we are going to do the Romantic road so go lots of information to find as I'm supposed to know everything

You can happily spend two weeks in Belgium, save Germany for another time.
Or -----Drop into Luxemburg at the bottom of Belgium for cheap fuel and head for Trier and the Mosel. Bernkastel and Cochem are beautiful she love those and you don't have go all the way to the romantic road.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
IMG_5688.JPG IMG_5687.JPG
Looks like you have enough help but...….
Think about driving down the Rhine en route to the RR - From Cologne down to Rüdesheim there are lots of interesting castles and plenty of good places to stop. You don't need to drive it all if you don't want to as the railway runs alongside and a central location would enable you to take bikes on train and explore - just a thought
agree with suggestions for good places on R Road already made but would add Harburg to the list and warn that we found the pitches at Dinklesbuhl a bit short for us at 9.0m. You may be ok but we stuck out like the proverbial by a long way so you may be marginal.

There is another aire at Dinkelsbuhl. Takes larger motorhomes and has a nice lake behind it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back