The Roads in the UK - and Life in General… (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Coming from the comparative isolation of those massive roads in Spain that bring you to the border of France and then a month of pootling around France on country, often, single track roads, it's a hell of a shock to drive out of Folkestone docks straight onto the motorway into nose to tail hell.

I spent a leisurely yesterday at the P+R at Canterbury and in the city reacquainting myself with fish and chips, avoiding Costa coffee (the McDonalds of the coffee world it would seem) and marvelling that I could speak to people without the need for a dictionary and hand signals.

Destination north and eventually Liverpool for the boat back to the Island on Monday and I decide to take the M25 and the Dartford crossing before taking the smaller, quieter roads.

I knew it would be busy so I did something I've never done before - I set the alarm for 3.50 am and left Canterbury (very quietly) at just after 4am this morning.

I thought the roads would be empty but no, they were absolutely bouncing and, by the time I passed the Dartford crossing and headed on the M25 ring road, the lorries and cars were almost at a standstill on the opposite carriageway coming into London.

This was about 5am in the morning and the roads were packed with people starting their day. God only knows what it must be like at 9am.

I've never thought of myself as a good driver but today as I was changing lanes and bringing overtaken and undertaken by eighteen wheelers and keeping my cool I did suddenly realise that I'm not so bad after all - so it was a good lesson for me.

But really, what is happening to us on this Island - all this rushing and congestion and having a life where you have to get up at four in the morning just to get to work on time. For it it was a choice but I really felt for those on the other side.

Anyway - I'm tired - I'm going to bed - but I just thought I'd throw this out there…

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Coming from the comparative isolation of those massive roads in Spain that bring you to the border of France and then a month of pootling around France on country, often, single track roads, it's a hell of a shock to drive out of Folkestone docks straight onto the motorway into nose to tail hell.

I spent a leisurely yesterday at the P+R at Canterbury and in the city reacquainting myself with fish and chips, avoiding Costa coffee (the McDonalds of the coffee world it would seem) and marvelling that I could speak to people without the need for a dictionary and hand signals.

Destination north and eventually Liverpool for the boat back to the Island on Monday and I decide to take the M25 and the Dartford crossing before taking the smaller, quieter roads.

I knew it would be busy so I did something I've never done before - I set the alarm for 3.50 am and left Canterbury (very quietly) at just after 4am this morning.

I thought the roads would be empty but no, they were absolutely bouncing and, by the time I passed the Dartford crossing and headed on the M25 ring road, the lorries and cars were almost at a standstill on the opposite carriageway coming into London.

This was about 5am in the morning and the roads were packed with people starting their day. God only knows what it must be like at 9am.

I've never thought of myself as a good driver but today as I was changing lanes and bringing overtaken and undertaken by eighteen wheelers and keeping my cool I did suddenly realise that I'm not so bad after all - so it was a good lesson for me.

But really, what is happening to us on this Island - all this rushing and congestion and having a life where you have to get up at four in the morning just to get to work on time. For it it was a choice but I really felt for those on the other side.

Anyway - I'm tired - I'm going to bed - but I just thought I'd throw this out there…
We are overcrowded.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
been overcrowded for years .
as a kid used to go abroad in m,homes with my parents even in the early 60,s when you came back it was busy compared to france spain .
but then they are 3 times bigger or there abouts . germany even poland much bigger .
but move off the main roads uk can be a pleasure .
it does seem most in uk want to travel at the max speed on any road . never look around and see the beauty of england .
i say use smaller non main roads slow down and enjoy the drive . be prepared to stop look at scenery . its not better anywhere in the world .
just different.
all through the night trucks are moving your food and goods .
i used to night trunk so i can say driving from cornwall to birmingham and back every night can get a bit boring . but so can here to london and back.
mind food is brought even from africa by trucks . uk just cant grow etc enough food never mind other things . clothes furniture . even london under ground trains , have followed them from portugal many a time .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I would imagine the traffic would be similar, if not worse at any major city at rush hour(s)... New York, Paris, Tokyo... I've been some places where the M25 would be thought of as deserted...

1785660457.jpg

Abu Dhabi at 09.30 on a Sunday :cool:.

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
What's happening to us is the direct consequence of the stupidity of the human race, who don't seem to realise that they can't go having 4+ kids without considering what will happen when their little darlings grow up & want/need cars.
plus the latest increases due to immigration, which now means that a country that can in reality only support 47 million now has 70 million plus to cope with!

But oh no, we can't possibly tell the poor that they can't have any further benefits if they have any more than 2 babies, or the rich that we'll tax them 10% of their total wealth for every child over the average 2 that they have.

So in the end we'll all end up moving at a very slow crawl, no matter whether we're walking, cycling, biking or driving because there's just to many of us!

Oh no, do I feel another population reducing war coming?!
Actually I think I'd better get my tin hat on anyway!

Phill

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
It's the rat race Jackie, their all trying to earn that pension so they can have a Motorhome too when they retire.... l feel and fear we're the lucky ones...
i would say that for every uk m,home in spain etc in winter there must be 100 from other countries .
even countries we think are poor are way ahead of uk.
but yes many are trying to get there.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
@JackieP that is exactly how I feel about this country of my birth.Love it as ever but sometimes hate coming back.Lovely people but the country is simply overwhelmed.
The terrible tragedy of this week just shows,they admit they will not identify everyone,that's because so many people were probably living there who maybe should not have been.So sad,yes they may have escaped persecution but their days ended in a terrible fire.
When will it end,never in my humble opinion,roads are worse than Portugal,as is the NHS,not the staff just the admin and budgets.
Too many clients to deal with,this little Island is struggling and makes me so sad.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm sorry but what the OP is describing is simply the traffic congestion suffered by every major city in the world, on every continent.
It's nothing to do with Britain being over crowded, or immigration.
It's because London is a major city & that means traffic congestion.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
M
I'm sorry but what the OP is describing is simply the traffic congestion suffered by every major city in the world, on every continent.
Not just London..M6 M1 M40 M42 A14...etc etc. We are overcrowded

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
"The China National Highway 110 traffic jam was a recurring massive traffic jam that began to form on August 14, 2010, mostly on China National Highway 110 (G110) and Beijing–Tibet expressway (G6), in Hebei and Inner Mongolia. The traffic jam slowed down thousands of vehicles for more than 100 kilometres (60 mi) and lasted for more than ten days. Many drivers were able to move their vehicles only 1 km (0.6 mi) per day, and some drivers reported being stuck in the traffic jam for five days. It is considered to be one of the longest traffic jams by some media."

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
"The China National Highway 110 traffic jam was a recurring massive traffic jam that began to form on August 14, 2010, mostly on China National Highway 110 (G110) and Beijing–Tibet expressway (G6), in Hebei and Inner Mongolia. The traffic jam slowed down thousands of vehicles for more than 100 kilometres (60 mi) and lasted for more than ten days. Many drivers were able to move their vehicles only 1 km (0.6 mi) per day, and some drivers reported being stuck in the traffic jam for five days. It is considered to be one of the longest traffic jams by some media."
but as a comparison uk is a third world country.
even some in africa are infront of us in uk.
its about time uk woke up.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
but as a comparison uk is a third world country.
even some in africa are infront of us in uk.
its about time uk woke up.
I know its fashionable to denigrate Britain but I don't agree...

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I was a keen cyclist as a youngster and would go out most Sundays when I'd often not meet a vehicle by using country roads. Not now, because it's far too dangerous. Not every household had a car then and only a few had more than one - and streets were not cluttered with parked cars...

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
i,m with you . but uk does need a wake up.
gotta move fast or be left behind .
We all need to wake up, stop driving cars because we're on too much money and we need to give at least 50% back to the employer to make us competitive and raise taxes to 40% to help the government.
Sorry, just thinking what's been suggested previously

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The official population figures are a total lie, we are being lied to constantly by governments. The truth in 2007 is that there were nearly 80 million people in the UK. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...opulation-is-at-least-77-million-5328454.html. We can only guess what it is now, probably over 100 million.
That's more accurate. I met them all on the M6 last month

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The life in general bit, good to hear you are back after what must be a couple of years traveling and adventures in your beautiful van, be interesting to hear about some of your travels.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
:LOL:

Try driving in Manila that would make your ar$e twitch:LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Rubbish.

Over crowded, too many people having large families, funded by us the taxpayer in the most part.

Come to work with me for a day.

Lack of investment in infrastructure, shockingly expensive and poor public transport system. People who want to live in leafy suburbs that work in Cities and commute 1,000's of miles yearly.

in 1997. I could leave Speke (Liverpool) at 4:30 and be in Stockport, 40 miles way in around 30 mins.
I would be lucky to get from Manchester Airport to Stockport (8 miles) in 45 mins at that time in 2017

Last edited:

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I am proud to be British and love the island.

When we come back to the UK, it's not just that the roads are crowded, that we notice , but the fact that a large amount of the population are oversized that makes it feel crowded.
And a lot of people are bloody miserable compared with the population on mainland europe.

3 weeks til we are back!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Over crowded, too many people having large families, funded by us the taxpayer in the most part.

Come to work with me for a day.

Lack of investment in infrastructure, shockingly expensive and poor public transport system. People who want to live in leafy suburbs that work in Cities and commute 1,000's of miles yearly.

in 1997. I could leave Speke (Liverpool) at 4:30 and be in Stockport, 40 miles way in around 30 mins.
I would be lucky to get from Manchester Airport to Stockport (8 miles) in 45 mins at that time in 2017

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know the roads are overcrowded, but has anyone noticed the shocking state of repair of them recently. We in Liverpool no longer require sleeping policemen and traffic calming. Potholes everywhere and the road surface is so bad in places the cobble stones are showing through. On the odd occasion they do repairs its only a patch job and a couple of weeks later its as bad again.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
W
been overcrowded for years .
as a kid used to go abroad in m,homes with my parents even in the early 60,s when you came back it was busy compared to france spain .
but then they are 3 times bigger or there abouts . germany even poland much bigger .
but move off the main roads uk can be a pleasure .
it does seem most in uk want to travel at the max speed on any road . never look around and see the beauty of england .
i say use smaller non main roads slow down and enjoy the drive . be prepared to stop look at scenery . its not better anywhere in the world .
just different.
all through the night trucks are moving your food and goods .
i used to night trunk so i can say driving from cornwall to birmingham and back every night can get a bit boring . but so can here to london and back.
mind food is brought even from africa by trucks . uk just cant grow etc enough food never mind other things . clothes furniture . even london under ground trains , have followed them from portugal many a time .

Bloody good interesting post Alan, hopefully will give lots of people a different outlook, perspective and desire to do things differently once in a while, hope your keeping well my friend !.

:drink::drink::drink:

:dm:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I know the roads are overcrowded, but has anyone noticed the shocking state of repair of them recently.

We were discussing this very thing earlier today. Oooh look! - the manholes all along this stretch of dual carriageway have sunk yet again, and yet they only closed the road the other month for resurfacing again. Whoever would have imagined that a constant stream of 44 ton fully loaded artics driving along there, going to all the big industrial premises on the industrial estate which the road was built to service (as well as take the existing traffic to other locations) that they're planning on making even bigger - could possibly ever do a thing like that?

I don't call that short-sighted - I call it totally blind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back