The Radicalisation of Caravan Club Members - the herding instinct. (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
For a number of years I've been a member of the C&CC purely to get access to their CSs.
I thought I'd have a change this year and find some new local places so I joined the CC, now renamed I know, so I can access their CLs - more CLs than CSs. Time will tell whether or not I subscribe for a second year.

I've just come back from a few days on my first CL, a lovely spot to which I will definitely return. EHU, toilet, free hot shower, information room (converted mobile home complete with books, magazines, DVDs and a nice couch on which to sit and read) - all for £10.

Anyway, when I arrived I was the first one there and picked a spot that suited me. Only for two nights so not particularly fussy how or where I pitch.

DSCN5109a.JPG
DSCN5110a.JPG

Then I watched the other 4 units arrive, one by one, over the course of an hour or so and clearly not known to each other.
It seemed to me that they were lost without a warder to tell them where to pitch so just followed their training.

Sad innit :)

DSCN5111a.JPG

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I thought everyone that joined the CC had to undergo a forced brainwashing indoctrination session and memorise all 859 volumes of the rule book.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The CC, or CMC, is the club where the warden doesn't show you to a pitch. In my experience they normally tell you to find a pitch and let them know which one you've taken. But I do understand the herding instinct, seen it many times, even in an otherwise empty car park.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I do like the use of the word warder as in prison rather than warden was it a mistake!!!!

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I do like the use of the word warder as in prison rather than warden was it a mistake!!!!

Well the entire CL was enclosed with electrified fencing - some might say that it's there to keep the horses out but I'm not so sure.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Was each caravan not pitched beside an EHU point ?

No matter .. not sure why it is sad.. they parked were they felt most comfortable..

Love both CL and CS networks.. use them almost exclusively.. there are some real gems.. from as little as a fiver a night..

Far nicer than overnight parking in pub car park and paying over the odds for a bar meal.. First and only time we did that it cost me over £20 for two bar snacks and two coffees.. then being awakened at chucking out time with shouting and car doors banging, never again.

Club sites are also great if a little pricey, but what price peace and quiet, lovely pitch and hot showers in heated shower rooms..

long live both clubs.. long live the Certified locations..

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
This will be your last year as we are not using their services (although rarely did). They are full of reactionaries who find it difficult to understand that camping/motorhoming whether in a car park or site is about doing your own thing while caravanning is about lining up with pegs. The concept that you could park up for the night at 8 and not even step outside before next morning leaving, leaves them amazed.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I thought everyone that joined the CC had to undergo a forced brainwashing indoctrination session and memorise all 859 volumes of the rule book.
Have you any idea where I'd get my hands on the last two ? I've only read 857 ! :LOL:

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Was each caravan not pitched beside an EHU point ? ..................

No and that's what puzzled me. Each pitch was marked and stretched from the fence at the tree line, where I was pitched, across to the fence against which the caravans were pitched - and all the hook up sockets were on tree side where I'm hooked into so they all had to trail their cables from one side to the other. A couple of them had to have a good few attempts at maneuevering into their chosen slot.
But, as you say, pitch how and where suits you. Perhaps they all liked horse dung aroma.

My reason for pitching where I did was to get some shelter from the chill wind that was blowing. Not a lot of sun and only two nights so solar not a consideration.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No and that's what puzzled me. Each pitch was marked and stretched from the fence at the tree line, where I was pitched, across to the fence against which the caravans were pitched - and all the hook up sockets were on tree side where I'm hooked into so they all had to trail their cables from one side to the other.

fair enough .. so they could either pitch under trees or against the fence.. few want to park in the middle of a field.

I don't like under tress either, you get dirt, leaves and resin sticking to the roof, and when in rains you get water blowing off the leaves long after the rain has stopped..

If you have a sat dish you often can't get a signal.. solar panel doesn't get the best of the light either.

You preferred the shelter,, they preferred the open away from tress.. freedom of choice.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
fair enough .. so they could either pitch under trees or against the fence.. few want to park in the middle of a field.

I don't like under tress either, you get dirt, leaves and resin sticking to the roof, and when in rains you get water blowing off the leaves long after the rain has stopped..

If you have a sat dish you often can't get a signal.. solar panel doesn't get the best of the light either.

You preferred the shelter,, they preferred the open away from tress.. freedom of choice.
We even had squirrels once jumping on our van from trees!! Very scarey!! Like trees but not to park under in this country!

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Like someone has said previously, caravans ( I was one before I took the oath) don't like putting there £1000000 awnings under trees because of bird poo and tree sap ;)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Ye Gods!!!!

Its all to do with what we refer to as the Blackpool syndrome!

Your on a fairly empty beach and someone with radio or 7 kids comes and sits next to you with their towels touching yours!! or in a carpark having carefully selected a spot that's empty and the S*Ds park next to you and "thunk" as they open their car???????

Why the need to park/camp next to someone else:mad:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
You could ask the owner to put some white pegs in and they have to park corner on the peg :rofl::rofl::rofl:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
As a quite long term member of the CC and having owned both caravans and motorhomes, even having one of each for a while I fail to see the reason for vilification of the CC. Like most I have never read any rule book, I have never met an over officious warden and have always found their sites well run and with excellent facilities. CLs are also good though sometimes the facilities are probably not the best.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
You could ask the owner to put some white pegs in and they have to park corner on the peg :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Unfortunately, it seems there are those that cant tell their offside from their nearside so the peg and anything else could be at risk!!!!

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
For a number of years I've been a member of the C&CC purely to get access to their CSs.
I thought I'd have a change this year and find some new local places so I joined the CC, now renamed I know, so I can access their CLs - more CLs than CSs. Time will tell whether or not I subscribe for a second year.

I've just come back from a few days on my first CL, a lovely spot to which I will definitely return. EHU, toilet, free hot shower, information room (converted mobile home complete with books, magazines, DVDs and a nice couch on which to sit and read) - all for £10.

Anyway, when I arrived I was the first one there and picked a spot that suited me. Only for two nights so not particularly fussy how or where I pitch.

View attachment 158835 View attachment 158836

Then I watched the other 4 units arrive, one by one, over the course of an hour or so and clearly not known to each other.
It seemed to me that they were lost without a warder to tell them where to pitch so just followed their training.

Sad innit :)

View attachment 158837
Perhaps they're not into hedge watching. :D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back