Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
Well that was a first! Picked the van up from storage last night. Whilst loading it up this morning, Mrs Castaway found what looked like dead slugs in the space under the cooker. At the same time I found some bits of fur in one of the outside lockers. Upon further investigation, I found a lot of other bits of something that used to be a rabbit and inside was a perfectly built nest using an old towel and lots more rabbit fur! Now, the question is, how did whatever it was manage to get a rabbit into the locker? We've had mice in the van before but I can't think of anywhere anything much bigger could get in! I suspect it will have been a stoat or a weasel but has anyone ever come across this sort of thing before? The dead slugs were obviously droppings from whatever it was!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Rat ?

Don't know if they kill rabbits but they might scavenge roadkill or carcasses, so they wouldn't have to get an entire rabbit in there in one go. Be careful of dealing with urine traces if so, they can carry Weil's Disease.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I was going to say probably dismembered outside and bits brought in ( yuk)
I'd wash all the hard surfaces with diluted bleach or bleach spray.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe time to purchase and fit one of these. I've just fitted one in the engine bay and one on the underside of the hab floor to keep rodents at bay.

Amazon product ASIN B0000WR76I
anti-mouse.jpg

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Sounds like a wild Puma or Panther to me. Their staple food in the wild (in the UK) is slugs and rabbits, which apparently to them taste like roast lamb and mint sauce do to humans. Be careful as if you upset them by rearranging their carefully made nests they may well give you a nasty nip, or possibly worse. You can buy Puma traps at Pets World shops but you have to bait them with opened tins of Fray Bentos pies otherwise they don't work so well. If you walk around your van at midnight shouting "here Puma, Puma Puma. Come to daddy for some lovely pie substitute" that often tempts them from their hidey hole under the wheel arches. Possibly. Or I may have dreamt all of the aforementioned.

OP
OP
Castaway

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
A bit of Google searching has pretty much confirmed that it was a stoat or weasel. Still can't work out how it got in, though!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A weasel would be my guess - they are known to line their nest with fur from prey when it is cold. The phrase "weasel it out" is derived from their ability to squeeze through tiny gaps. :)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Ferret (same family) escapes from cage, they are amazing at getting through a gap.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well that was a first! Picked the van up from storage last night. Whilst loading it up this morning, Mrs Castaway found what looked like dead slugs in the space under the cooker. At the same time I found some bits of fur in one of the outside lockers. Upon further investigation, I found a lot of other bits of something that used to be a rabbit and inside was a perfectly built nest using an old towel and lots more rabbit fur! Now, the question is, how did whatever it was manage to get a rabbit into the locker? We've had mice in the van before but I can't think of anywhere anything much bigger could get in! I suspect it will have been a stoat or a weasel but has anyone ever come across this sort of thing before? The dead slugs were obviously droppings from whatever it was!

That is only one of lifes little questions. I heard something scraping around in the back of my sealed off fireplace, went off and got some tools and a torch . Lowered the sealing plate and peered in ,expecting a mouse, but NO it was A Female MALLARD padding around in the there or I thought it was, because it was very black.. I opened all the doors and closed the curtains so the only obvious way to the light was the open front door. I reached in and grabbed a pair of feet causing a LOT of fuss. pulled it towards me getting peced and shat upon doing so , got it out through the gap at marched towards the door. Off it went straight across the road to the river and Splosh! in the water that was a good bath so I could see it was a female. Question is how did a duck fall down my chimney and what was it doing on the pot anyway?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back