Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The Project moves forward.

Just managed to purchase a Brand new Edelbrock 4 barrel carb for the "bus" prior to finishing the LPG setup.That's coming from the States.Also The exhaust and tailpipe are being constructed and bought a new "muffler" for the ONAN genny in the UK..

Hopefully the carb will sort out a few running problems on tickover and improve the fuel consumption.....:RollEyes:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Just a point Steve. Make sure all the ignition side is spot on. Especially the Plug Leads. This is one of the biggest problems due to the heat in the engine bay from the exhausts damaging them. :winky:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers John.

I have rerouted the ht leads clear of the exhausts when I renewed them,I know what you mean though.Not much room in that area,

Looking at a new distributor next.::bigsmile:

It's getting more affordable to ship from the USA again.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
good stuff :)

I am rebuilding my 4 barrel tonight, as a part has arrived from Ohio .. :)

then I need to reconnect the LPG too.. may have some questions :)

on the chevy, cylinders 5 and 7 are next to each other and also fire one after the other, a good way to get a misfire..

apparenly, making those leads cross once is a good move (breaking down a magnetic field I believe)

Last edited:
OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sounds like you're having fun with your project too.

I love it.Always looking for parts to get it back to how it was.

A 30 year old carb in my case really does need replacing.Same as the distributor.

Doing all I can to get her running most efficiently for next year.:thumb:

What carb has yours?Mine is a carter 4 barrel and the Edelbrock is the obvious replacement as very similar although a lot more refined.::bigsmile:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
HI AD,

mine has a rochy, so the same as your carter really... right now i just want it behaving, starting well and idleing ok.. it was bogging too, caused by a faulty rear vac break.. another came in the post, so that should help.. have replaced dizzy cap, and have some other advance springs around.. have checked all plug leads, and changed plugs.. its getting there..LPG is my main problem now. it isn't complex, but it is gas.. need to be sure...

I am doing what I can, hopefully go to cornwall in two weeks :O

John

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
HI AD,

mine has a rochy, so the same as your carter really... right now i just want it behaving, starting well and idleing ok.. it was bogging too, caused by a faulty rear vac break.. another came in the post, so that should help.. have replaced dizzy cap, and have some other advance springs around.. have checked all plug leads, and changed plugs.. its getting there..LPG is my main problem now. it isn't complex, but it is gas.. need to be sure...

I am doing what I can, hopefully go to cornwall in two weeks :O

John

Good luck John.

I'm replacing mine prior to finishing off the LPG,

Then get a local guy to finish the tuning on LPG side and certification of the installation.

Have you got your kit for the lpg yet?

I guess it'll be the mixer on top of the carb jobby?

It's the siting of the tanks that is proving a problem for me.

Don't want them inside if possible.

Steve.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
It's the siting of the tanks that is proving a problem for me.

Don't want them inside if possible.

Steve.

:Cool: Hi Steve. I fitted our LPG tanks on the Coachmen above the chassis right at the rear. When I assisted the LPG fitter we did have to remove a side panel and make a slight bevel and welded plate to enable the tanks to slide in. Worked a dream. Probably not possible on yours though?

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi John. (JSW)

I have a few "cunning plans" in the pipeline.:thumb:

Getting quite a dab hand with the mig welder here now and am planning on welding up a couple of frames to the chassis to hold the lpg tanks.

I have just ordered a new Electronic ignition distributor from the States to compliment the new carb....That should really get her humming and better the fuel efficiency.

Thanks to mobilervuk for the very quick delivery of the genny exhaust and also to Smith and Allan for the remarkable delivery of the 10 litres of underseal....

Just waiting for the custom exhaust and she'll be on a roll.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back