The price of beer in France ? (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
A couple of weeks ago, we were in Germany at a Stellplatz and had a couple of beers at the bar attached to the local football club €2.50 for 50cl

Next day ...... and all subsequent days in France and really regardless of location the same beer is €5.60 minimum.

Today I got talking to the German owner of a French bar (for 27 years ) and he told me that ex president holland inceased the tax on beer by over 165% , not with standing the alcohol and VAT on top of that, to effectively protect the wine industry!

Can anyone either confirm this or give me a explanation as to why beer (and I'm talking basic Pilsner ) is so expensive in France ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Beer has always been expensive in France. Its never been cheap, not to my knowledge anyway. But can only go back 50years of drinking the stuff there.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
A couple of weeks ago, we were in Germany at a Stellplatz and had a couple of beers at the bar attached to the local football club €2.50 for 50cl

Next day ...... and all subsequent days in France and really regardless of location the same beer is €5.60 minimum.

Today I got talking to the German owner of a French bar (for 27 years ) and he told me that ex president holland inceased the tax on beer by over 165% , not with standing the alcohol and VAT on top of that, to effectively protect the wine industry!

Can anyone either confirm this or give me a explanation as to why beer (and I'm talking basic Pilsner ) is so expensive in France ?

http://www.cfe-eutax.org/taxation/excise-duties/france

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No black labour in bars like there is in the UK. Minimum wage. Whatever you pay your barstaff it cost another 50% for social welfare payments for the privilege of employing them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
We were in St Brevin les Pins with FIL and he kept going on about if French bars did Guinness. I noticed the sign on the bar, he went in a got a round of drinks.
Guinness was 7.60 euros!:D
That was the last one he bought.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Best thing is start drinking local wine , you will get used to it(y)

Reactions: Pia

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Many do not understand that French bars have a 3 tier price policy.
Cheapest is to stand at the bar, order your beer and stand and drink it.
Next is, sit at a table INSIDE the bar and wait to be served.
Finally, the most expensive is to sit on the terrace and wait to be served with your beer at the table.
Never commit the cardinal sin of ordering your beer at the bar, pay for it and heaven forbid, go and sit down on the terrace and drink it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Wine cheaper than water in supermarkets!
IMG-20170421-WA0000.jpg

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Finally, the most expensive is to sit on the terrace and wait to be served with your beer at the table.
Never commit the cardinal sin of ordering your beer at the bar, pay for it and heaven forbid, go and sit down on the terrace and drink it.
Not only the beer. A coffee will cost more the closer you sit near the road, or furthest from the bar. Same in Italy

Reactions: Pia
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And we have always found the pmu affiliated bars are the best value.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Best thing is start drinking local wine , you will get used to it(y)
I guess pint for pint this is the solution.......but the wife (not to mention) the staff would give me funny looks when I order two pints of wine, just in case the service is crap !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I guess pint for pint this is the solution.......but the wife (not to mention) the staff would give me funny looks when I order two pints of wine, just in case the service is crap !
No just order two bottles, no probs

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Beer has always been expensive in France. Its never been cheap, not to my knowledge anyway. But can only go back 50years of drinking the stuff there.
Hi.
Memory loss ? Comes with Old Age ?:ROFLMAO: East Enders Calais. ESP 9%.£5 a case
Often slept in the seat coming home,bunk loaded with cases,it tasted like a Barley Wine. Waiting to load in the morning at a yard in Bologne,it was a warm night,so spragged the door open and opened a case..... The workers woke me up as they arrived with the dawn...,what they were saying in French,i translated to "P***head english!!,but they were clapping and shouting "Encore" as well.
Tea Bag

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I brought a bottle of wine in france in a bar . and took it out side. They came and took the glasses back inside.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Beat me too a lot of people don't realise that.
French believe in paying for service and except the high price in bars.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Wine cheaper than water in supermarkets!

Could this be the answer to the blue toilet fluid or bio washing liquid debate? When in France just fill the toilet flushing tank with wine :) The alcohol should keep things sweet. Best to use white wine though, as the bowl will look a bit odd with red. I suppose you could always fill the main water tank with wine as well and shower in it. The tea and coffee might taste a bit odd though.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
So logic would dictate this system is reversed if it's raining outside?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is a new designer bar opened here in the marina in Bulgaria. I can by a pint of Guiness for 4 lev which even with the crap exchange rate is £1-88 a pint and that has to be imported from Dublin. If I want the local Kamonitza thats 94p a pint. This is in a swanky designer bar overlooking the marina. If I was in the same bar in the south of France, it would be multiplied by at least the factor of 10.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back