Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have several of the small fabric bags which take up no space at all and often have a clip of some sort on them so you can attach them to your keyring etc, that way you'll always have it with you when you take your keys. You can get them in the shops themselves although they aren't always of good quality, but there're loads to choose from on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...Xshopping+bag.TRS0&_nkw=shopping+bag&_sacat=0

These are also useful in the camper too as they take up very little space.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have no problem with using my own bags for groceries but when I've spent nearly ÂŁ200 on an item of clothing I object to having to pay for a tiny bag (M&S) . I bought some Christmas cards and a few bits and pieces from John Lewis the other day and was given a lovely paper carrier free of charge. Surely other stores do the same.

As someone else has already said, the amount of packaging used on items themselves needs to be addressed. Why not do us all a favour and legislate against that too?

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
As someone else has already said, the amount of packaging used on items themselves needs to be addressed. Why not do us all a favour and legislate against that too?

If only...! At least make it accessible to those of us without superhuman strength. I used to buy toothbrushes wrapped only in a cellophane sleeve. Yesterday I had to get a kitchen knife to get at the card and thick polythene wrapped one. Even scissors wouldn't do.

I'm surprised more shops are not complaining about loss of advertising "space". Presumably they put their names on their polythene bags for a reason ? Still, Mercadona and Monoprix are getting good exposure round here when I take their bags to town.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm sure we never asked supermarkets and the like to introduce plastic bags in the first place, in the old days you went shopping with your shopping bag, so like many here I agree with the new law. And if they want to go one step further and ban them altogether, fine, Gary

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I'm happy with having to take my own bags; I usually do and always when food shopping.

It does have unintended consequences though. I line wastepaper baskets and bins at home with bags and take them away with us to put in the van rubbish bin. Now I have to buy them on the roll and these cost around 5p each, are not biodegradable and use more polythene and energy to make I assume as they are thicker and stronger. Years ago our local authority gave us rolls of cornstarch bags to put compostable waste in. Since we compost our own I never use them. They're in the back of the undersink cupboard and I shall have to get around to scraping them out sometime as they have all degraded into flakes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Nah, get a man-bag! :)
Got one but it's normally kept in the van :D
I have several of the small fabric bags which take up no space at all and often have a clip of some sort on them so you can attach them to your keyring etc, that way you'll always have it with you when you take your keys. You can get them in the shops themselves although they aren't always of good quality, but there're loads to choose from on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...Xshopping+bag.TRS0&_nkw=shopping+bag&_sacat=0

These are also useful in the camper too as they take up very little space.
Jill has three similar bags clipped to her shoulder bag. We get them from the RNLI shops.
I have no problem with using my own bags for groceries but when I've spent nearly ÂŁ200 on an item of clothing I object to having to pay for a tiny bag (M&S) . I bought some Christmas cards and a few bits and pieces from John Lewis the other day and was given a lovely paper carrier free of charge. Surely other stores do the same.
I think that is part of what the government is trying to achieve :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just a thought. When the missus used to have our groceries delivered from Sainsbury's, they often came in carrier bags. What happens now ?

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Just a thought. When the missus used to have our groceries delivered from Sainsbury's, they often came in carrier bags. What happens now ?

As with Tesco ( see above) You can opt for a bagless delivery where you get most of your groceries in a plastic tray or pay a flat rate 40 p and get delivery in bags as you used to. Things like loose fish,cheese or fruit still get bagged as usual.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We used to use the plastic carrier bags to put the rubbish in before placing in the dust bin because we are on fortnightly collections.
We now use black bin bags to stop the rubbish smelling to bad so don't really save on bag use.
Council or now suggesting going from 2 to 4 weekly collections

Tell them in this day & age the collections should be daily & the wheelie bins are an eyesore.:mad:

I've no problem with the charge . I won't ever be paying it though if the bags are advertising the shop. Certainly not spending money & then also paying to advertise there wares.
I have 13 bags for life in the car. :)
I have at least 5 more in the motorhome.:D
It would never occur to me to actually take one with me.:LOL:
I now carry a wallet but never used to only, keys ,cash fags & lighter. Now it is just keys & cash.
When/ if they start charging for them here then I'll just have to buy more from hong kong fuey's to use for the waste bins & also the bins in all the toilets.
Fully agree with the sentiments re; packaging . Utterly ridiculous some of it.
What grates with me living here is the farmer's , especially the large enterprises & there are plenty of UK growers operating here . They roll out 10's of 000's of metres of black polythene to prevent weeds & plant through it by puncturing. It also aids by retaining heat in the ground & a degree of condensated moisture.
The EU regs are the same everywhere & in the UK if you buy 100k metres by weight you have to show that you have picked it up & recycled it & provide a chain of evidence. Here they plough it in. Well some gets ploughed in the vast majority is just shredded & then when the wind gets up ............... It is one of my pet hates:mad:.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Tell them in this day & age the collections should be daily & the wheelie bins are an eyesore.:mad:

I've no problem with the charge . I won't ever be paying it though if the bags are advertising the shop. Certainly not spending money & then also paying to advertise there wares.
I have 13 bags for life in the car. :)
I have at least 5 more in the motorhome.:D
It would never occur to me to actually take one with me.:LOL:
I now carry a wallet but never used to only, keys ,cash fags & lighter. Now it is just keys & cash.
When/ if they start charging for them here then I'll just have to buy more from hong kong fuey's to use for the waste bins & also the bins in all the toilets.
Fully agree with the sentiments re; packaging . Utterly ridiculous some of it.
What grates with me living here is the farmer's , especially the large enterprises & there are plenty of UK growers operating here . They roll out 10's of 000's of metres of black polythene to prevent weeds & plant through it by puncturing. It also aids by retaining heat in the ground & a degree of condensated moisture.
The EU regs are the same everywhere & in the UK if you buy 100k metres by weight you have to show that you have picked it up & recycled it & provide a chain of evidence. Here they plough it in. Well some gets ploughed in the vast majority is just shredded & then when the wind gets up ............... It is one of my pet hates:mad:.

Like the system in Spain where they have a communal skip bin and empty it every night/ early morning or is that just in the larger towns.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
There are shops charging for bags when not obliged to by law, they also do not have to donate the proceeds to charity, so extra profit. It is only bags up to a certain thickness that come under this law, bags for carrying clothes are in the non chargeable category as they are over the thickness required, paper bags are also exempt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back