The Perils Of EBay!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Of course you could have put a shout out on here for someone local to give it a quick once over before venturing all that way . . .
(living on Teesside as I do!)

It frequently surprises me that we don't do that more often here.
Just a quick going over to just report whether or not you consider it worth viewing - no commitment or recommendation, just an opinion.
I've be very happy to do that for someone living distant from me but interested in a mh just around the corner from me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nope advert present (y)
thanks..

strange i couldn't see it with the other link or the item number..

to be honest it doesn't look bad, I've seen a lot worse sold for more money..

11 months MOT with no advisories and only 70,000 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Thanks :) It's always hard to know what's really going on. I wouldn't be surprised if he was "under orders" to sell. As for giving him a slap, I'd say he's well used to getting them and would probably have found it reassuring lol
We know who wears the trousers in that house
Good luck with your search

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
There are some gems out there, and there is some utter $hite!
I have bought off e-bay many times, and I have to fly to view. But, speaking to the owner, and requesting more photos and any faults is a good bet.
I once bought a Smart car, it sounded good, the extra photos looked good, the HPI checked out, the history was good, and the reason for selling was good.
I flew to Manchester, then Manchester to Exeter, where the gentleman agreed to collect me
When I arrived, he was there in the Smartie, and it was better than described, he showed me around, let me drive it to his home where all the relevant documents and service history was laid out.
His wife, knowing I had come a long way, had even made me a meal! A genuinely wonderful middle aged couple, and a superb buy! A beautiful car we had for a few years.
So, good things can be got on e-bay, and then sometimes I have flown home empty handed..........

Craig

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
There are some gems out there, and there is some utter $hite!
I have bought off e-bay many times, and I have to fly to view. But, speaking to the owner, and requesting more photos and any faults is a good bet.
I once bought a Smart car, it sounded good, the extra photos looked good, the HPI checked out, the history was good, and the reason for selling was good.
I flew to Manchester, then Manchester to Exeter, where the gentleman agreed to collect me
When I arrived, he was there in the Smartie, and it was better than described, he showed me around, let me drive it to his home where all the relevant documents and service history was laid out.
His wife, knowing I had come a long way, had even made me a meal! A genuinely wonderful middle aged couple, and a superb buy! A beautiful car we had for a few years.
So, good things can be got on e-bay, and then sometimes I have flown home empty handed..........

Craig
yep thats my take on it too, totally agree

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That's a very arduous journey for no reward ! Still at least you saw some of the north!! ;)
I do hope you find a smaller van to suit you ASAP as I'm sure you've got itchy feet!!(y)

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Advert removed.. and don't know price.. so can't really judge .. except to say most things you say were wrong can be expected in an old van.. many are possibly only due to not being used.. and a service is all that is required.
If you are buying an old motorhome, or even not so old, you need to be able to fix things yourself... have a basic understanding of basic 12v electrics, understand or be prepared to learn how gas appliances work.. if DIY is not your forte it will cost a lot of money to keep them going..

Been said on here many times.. if you own a motorhome of ANY age, you need to know your way around a tool bag.. or be rich.

This of course does not excuse the seller from being less than honest..

what was the price ?

There are good and bad sellers on all auction and selling sites.. I've sold and bought hundreds of items on eBay with no problems..

eBay cannot be held responsible if a seller is less than truthful..

Caveat emptor "Let the buyer beware" on ANY purchase.. be it eBay or the man down the pub.

You are missing a fundamental point. A seller who offers you a test drive and the following day tells you it's not Road legal is particularly untrustworthy . I didn't just turn up hoping for the best. I spent 30 mins the night before establishing that it was well above average. That was the point if my post. of course you are right most vans this age need work.

And the whole point of a viewing is to exercise "buyer beware" judgement , which is what I did and walked away.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looks in need of some TLC. Although we all assume things work correctly unless otherwise stated it might be an idea to ask them to go check before you travel, or do as suggested and post the location so a nearby funster can visit first.

Keep looking and sonething will turn up, hopefully the right one if you bide your time.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You are missing a fundamental point.

not at all.. I said he was less than honest.. ie dishonest

This of course does not excuse the seller from being less than honest..

I wouldn't have bought without a test drive either.. but otherwise it doesn't look a bad van for the money.. but we don't know the reserve.. did he tell you ?

Last edited:

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
The ad hasn't been removed there's an issue with the link, try

It isn't just eBay - I went to look at a Hymer s510 at a dealer near Birmingham last year - described as "a nice van" over the phone, mercedes, auto, ticked a lot of boxes and I thought it might be worth an up grade, they were asking £17,000

It was an absolute piece of ****. It STANK of cigarettes and dogs, there was a huge damp patch over the drop down bed, one of the lockers wouldn't open, one wouldn't close, the shower door was wonky, didn't even bother testing any of the appliances, just drove home.

It was still for sale a couple of months later and I started thinking, well, it's a good base vehicle, has got service history etc and started talking to the guy again - he offered it to me for £11,000!!!! (which actually frightened me even more so I backed off again)

Same van popped up a month or two ago - asking £17,000 again, before I realised that it was the same van I had an email chat with the seller who basically told me not to bother coming to look (it was out West now, I'd thought about viewing on the way to the Malvern show), it quickly sold and is now back in the Midlands for £19,000!

Caveat Emptor.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
You did well to keep cool. I just hope some newbie high on Hymer mystique (they all go on for decades without an problem) does not get sucked in!

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
It frequently surprises me that we don't do that more often here.
Just a quick going over to just report whether or not you consider it worth viewing - no commitment or recommendation, just an opinion.
I've be very happy to do that for someone living distant from me but interested in a mh just around the corner from me.
Yes it's a great idea and would have saved me a £100 and a long day.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
You did well to keep cool. I just hope some newbie high on Hymer mystique (they all go on for decades without an problem) does not get sucked in!

Yes that is my concern and part of the reason for my post....the other part being for therapeutic purposes :)

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
not at all.. I said he was less than honest.. ie dishonest

I wouldn't have bought without a test drive either.. but otherwise it doesn't look a bad van for the money.. but we don't know the reserve.. did he tell you ?

Good luck with that Jim:) He admitted the cab had been rusty but it had all been dealt with....... Hard to believe given his track record and there was still signs of paint spray on the dirt inside the wheel arches... My guess it was just done prior to advertising it. Your a brave man if you would take that on :). no don't know what his reserve is...was a bit academic in my case lol

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
your loss, I have had absolute results off eBay:), and an occasional failure:cool:

I don't know about anybody else, but I study the whole advert for clues, I look at the obvious and also the not so obvious, for example , the house in the photo, the garden, whats not mentioned, the spelling errors, on the feed back whats been sold previously, its sort of a puzzle that you have to solve.
It beats me why people show items with personal effects still presento_O

Good on the OP for been so calm, I would have vented my spleen more after a 12 hour trip, wasted:whistle:
Thanks.

Yes it's a numbers game, you exercise your best judgement and do your homework. EBay i's a great resource. What caught me out was his convincing manner on the phone. Hopefully I've learned something :)

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
"F" reg however you look on it is an old vehicle. Anyone looking to purchase such a van should expect a few teething problems........:)
If this was a chassis or an original van at this age it would be worth... perhaps £200

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Exactly. That was the point I made to the owner. The value was in having working habitation gear.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Just being nosey.. your details say you are

Selling my fantastic Hymer

why ?

edit.. just noticed it was sold on here a couple of weeks ago

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...pec-in-great-condition-only-70k-miles.136218/

Perfectly reasonable question :)

I originally bought the A Class for a 6 month project in Europe. But I enjoyed Motorhoming a lot more than I expected. I don’t have a use for a 'big' van as it will be a long time before I get another opportunity to go on an extended trip but I'm already missing it and wouldn't mind having something cheap for weekend use. Has to be a Hymer! Lol

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Having been very positive about using eBay as a resource earlier in the thread, I think it's also worth adding a note of caution.

I've come across quite a few fraudulent Listings which I've reported to eBay. To their credit they have removed them but more keep appearing.

Beware of anything that looks too cheap and the seller is asking for your mobile number. They appear to be trying to harvest email addresses linked to PayPal accounts. As long as you stay on eBay messaging you should be OK. Also they won't be prepared to talk on the phone but will use texting to swap email addresses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back