The perfect lounger - help please (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I am looking for the perfect lounger and having no joy. Requirements
. Must go completely flat, not just recline - I want to sun bathe
. Fold flat ( no funny arches)
. Very lightweight
. Very easy to put up and down (some are more like the krypton factor)
. Padding for comfort so don't have metal bars digging in
.preferably meshed rather than solid material to allow for "airing" when hot
. Converts to a reasonable upright chair

Features more important than budget
Please help with my quest

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The problem is converting to an upright chair in my opinion. I have not found an all-in-one lounger where the foot part of it folds far enough back to not get in the way when you are sitting down to eat at a table. They all appear to hit the ground and stop before they get vertical, and therefore stick out to much for comfortable dining.

My solution was to buy a chair with a reclining back that has a separate foot rest that you can attach to it when you want it to lounge. The problem is that it is never completely flat, but it is flat enough for me. Right compromise for me, but maybe not you.

Good luck with your search for the holy grail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have found that non of the so called loungers are suitable as a chair. I always swore by Dukdalf with the footstool extension as a lounger, but since one of my Dukdalfs has recently given up after over 10 years of hard life I have bought the Crespo with the foot extension. If anything its better than the Dukdalf as its the extra wide one with the high back. The footrest is slightly longer than The Dukdalf and the whole thing folds completely flat. Its far from cheap though, but does come with a 3 year guarantee.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The problem is converting to an upright chair in my opinion. I have not found an all-in-one lounger where the foot part of it folds far enough back to not get in the way when you are sitting down to eat at a table. They all appear to hit the ground and stop before they get vertical, and therefore stick out to much for comfortable dining.

My solution was to buy a chair with a reclining back that has a separate foot rest that you can attach to it when you want it to lounge. The problem is that it is never completely flat, but it is flat enough for me. Right compromise for me, but maybe not you.

Good luck with your search for the holy grail.

That's our solution too. Highly flexible and easy to store.

Extremely lightweight footrests available on eBay for just £5.99 + postage:

Broken Link Removed

We find they're great - very handy as a side table if not being used as a footrest. Fold almost completely flat for storage. Can be used with any standard folding/reclining chair.

We use aluminium/textiline chairs from Aldi - had them 9 years - robust and super comfy - bought two new ones from there the week before last. They go back a heck of a long way, but NOT flat. Our original ones are still OK though. :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Mike

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Have found that non of the so called loungers are suitable as a chair. I always swore by Dukdalf with the footstool extension as a lounger, but since one of my Dukdalfs has recently given up after over 10 years of hard life I have bought the Crespo with the foot extension. If anything its better than the Dukdalf as its the extra wide one with the high back. The footrest is slightly longer than The Dukdalf and the whole thing folds completely flat. Its far from cheap though, but does come with a 3 year guarantee.

These look brilliant, but can't seem to find a uk supplier - any idea where I can get one from, if not I may be off to aldi to get mike beaches suggestion which are cheap enough as an interim solution (but who knows may last for ever)
would still prefer a flat - but maybe this is the holy grail!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The perfect lounger.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

no such a beast..

they are either lightweight , uncomfortable and fragile.. not fit for purpose

or

so heavy and bulky that you need a trailer to transport.. and will give yourself a hernia trying to adjust ..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
These look brilliant, but can't seem to find a uk supplier - any idea where I can get one from, if not I may be off to aldi to get mike beaches suggestion which are cheap enough as an interim solution (but who knows may last for ever)

Am sorry, but I cannot help with a UK supplier. My old Dukdalfs were bought in Holland years ago, but I believe they are available in the UK. The Crespo was bought in Spain, but at 130 Euros for the chair and another 36 Euros for the foot extension am not sure many suppliers would want to keep them in stock.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009

I tried sitting on one a couple of weeks ago at GO Outdoors. It was OK, BUT, I'm tall and the bar at the base was uncomfortable to rest my legs on. It was bulky when folded. It was relatively heavy. And it was not much good for sitting at a table. We tried the Lafuma's of a similar design too, and came to much the same conclusion.

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have a couple of similar ones but they are far from flat folded -I had to make a back box to carry them in :Smile:
terry

Attachments

• P1020846-001.jpg
    P1020846-001.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P1020847-001.jpg
    P1020847-001.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 21

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009

The Aldi ones were on promotion a couple of weeks ago, so suggest not leaving it too long to find some if you're interested. They are not held as normal stock and will sell out.

You can always buy-and-try. Aldi and Lidl are both excellent in terms of accepting returns with a receipt. No need for the item to be faulty or anything - just say they were unsuitable, or you changed your mind. I think the straight returns period is something like 28 or 30 days.

Mike

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I don't think a flat longer that converts into a chair exists. the mechanism would be more more complex and heavier than an airline "flat" bed.

Take a flat lounger and a chair - the two would have a similar combined weight and would pack into a smaller space.

The Outback lounger is good if you can accept a compromise - buy from Johns Cross and get your Funster discount :thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Take a flat lounger and a chair - the two would have a similar combined weight and would pack into a smaller space.

I don't agree with that. My chair is a standard lightweight aluminium one and the clip on leg rest is very light (much lighter than a lounger). Two chairs and leg rests go into a purpose made bag in the garage. I couldn't find anything as light and small that got close to what I wanted.

Here is the link to the items and place I bought them from. I bought the Sandringham XL chair and leg extension. Mind you they were a lot cheaper last autumn than they are showing as now. I think I got 2 chairs, 2 leg extensions and the Sandringham Elite bag to hold them all for about £100.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I don't agree with that. My chair is a standard lightweight aluminium one and the clip on leg rest is very light (much lighter than a lounger). Two chairs and leg rests go into a purpose made bag in the garage. I couldn't find anything as light and small that got close to what I wanted.

Here is the link to the items and place I bought them from. I bought the Sandringham XL chair and leg extension. Mind you they were a lot cheaper last autumn than they are showing as now. I think I got 2 chairs, 2 leg extensions and the Sandringham Elite bag to hold them all for about £100.

...but does it go flat?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I am not aware of any loungers that fit your desired specification. We have two Lafuma loungers that are great to lounge in, well built but heavy as the frame is steel. They fold 'flatish' but there is still some bowing in the folded article. They are not great for sitting at a table so we bought two aluminium-framed folding chairs as well. I think they are Royal brand - quite cheap (compared with Lafuma). If I were starting again, I would be tempted by the Dukdalf chair + footrest solution. No official UK stockist but I have seen them on some websites.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
...but does it go flat?

For lounging on - nearly but not quite - the back is raised by about 10 degrees and the legs are lowered by about the same amount. But it is a good enough compromise for me - as per my first answer in this thread. Good for roasting your front, but when we do our backs we tend to lie with our head on the leg support and our legs on the chair back.

As others have stated you are looking for something that they (and I) could not find, so you may well have to compromise somewhere.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Space in the van is always at a premium when it comes to storing outdoor furniture. In addition to reclining chairs and stand-alone folding footrests, we bought a really nice heavy-duty aluminum sun bed. It's super comfy, but turned out to be a tad bulky when folded.

We could just get it in with a real squeeze, but made loading and unloading a bit of a pain (everything goes under the fixed bed). Needed to be VERY organised every time we wanted to move on, which in our case is pretty often.

So, I've invested the grand sum of £19.99 at Argos to got a lighter weight sunbed that's compact and folds fairly flat. Just tried slotting it in the van and it fits in much more easily, so we'll see how we get on with that for our trip to Spain next week. Reckon we only need one sunbed, and can take it in turns using it. :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Mike

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Lafuma lounger. Lovely for laying on. Will not go flat for laying face down. Not very good for sitting at a table.
Dukdalf and footrest. Will not go flat for laying face down. Good, versatile chair/lounger though.
Crespo and footrest. Ditto the above.
I HAVE managed to lay on them on my front but quickly found my thin, plastic backed, picnic rug, laid on gravel, far more comfortable :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, that lounger chair you after does not exist :Sad:

Or does it? :Eeek: Jane

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back