The other travelling community, aka P1k3ys (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So, we are back in the UK about half an hour and pull up into Tesco just outside Dover to get some goodies.
In front of us is a tag axle Autotrail, lots of washing on the bike rack, rubbish all over the floor round the van and a woman throwing rubbish out of the side door where a male is putting most of it in a black bag
Ah, just having a clean up methinks, them matey with the black bag picks it up and chucks it over the fence next to him, meanwhile rubbish still all over the floor and more joining it all the time..
Probably not Funsters then!
We finish shopping and drive past them to see another van, a rusty white transit with the obligitary Mum Dad and child on the front seats and 4 or 5 “lads” hanging around by the clothes Bank

Then, we drive up to Bury St Edmunds to see our Daughter, intending to park in the aire at Ram Meadow.
We turned up there about 23:40 and guess what? More travellers, loads of them complete with transit vans and huge caravans. They’ve taken over the whole car park and we had to find a quiet spot on a nearby industrial estate, too late to drop into a Britstop or campsite
Bloody travellers....

A month in the UK is going to seem a long time at this rate!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not seen any "motorhomes" (The odd Tranny van). But this is a regular occurrence on the "green" area`s around Hull. And a lot more with obvious non UK rig`s. Favourite at the moment are the big Parks, and school playing fields.

For those who know York, the Coach/Car park by the river was overrun for nearly 2 weeks, back in May, by a Collection of vehicles and `vans with RO number plates (those that had No plates that is!).

I made the suggestion, we need a law, that groups of more than 2? be legally moved off any area after 24hrs by the police OR have their Vehicles confiscated and not returned until Fines and clean-up costs, including that for Police Time, etc; are paid.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's really worrying that they are starting to use more motorhomes.
When you saw a large caravan towed by a van it was a good clue as to who or what they were.
When they use more MoHo's we will all start to be viewed with suspicion.

Richard.
Yes I hastily brought my washing in after reading the op

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Allan, good post; I'll never look at the larger Autotrail range in the same light now.

If I see one in a layby then I'll be sure to drive on by.(y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not seen any "motorhomes" (The odd Tranny van). But this is a regular occurrence on the "green" area`s around Hull. And a lot more with obvious non UK rig`s. Favourite at the moment are the big Parks, and school playing fields.

For those who know York, the Coach/Car park by the river was overrun for nearly 2 weeks, back in May, by a Collection of vehicles and `vans with RO number plates (those that had No plates that is!).

I made the suggestion, we need a law, that groups of more than 2? be legally moved off any area after 24hrs by the police OR have their Vehicles confiscated and not returned until Fines and clean-up costs, including that for Police Time, etc; are paid.
How are vehicles let into the UK with no number plates on ? Or do they remove them when here, thus preventing ANPR cameras picking them up. This is where policing the roads by cameras totally fails!!!!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Allan, good post; I'll never look at the larger Autotrail range in the same light now.

If I see one in a layby then I'll be sure to drive on by.(y)

So does that mean we either have to sell our tag axle Autotrail or resign from Motorhome Fun ?

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We were on skye last week went over the bridge at lochalsh and just coming up to a laybye and saw the preverbial washing line what a advert for skye

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
How are vehicles let into the UK with no number plates on ? Or do they remove them when here, thus preventing ANPR cameras picking them up. This is where policing the roads by cameras totally fails!!!!

What !!!! No number plate officer.
Some low life must have stolen them.
Luckily I have a spare set with me, just in case this happened.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
So does that mean we either have to sell our tag axle Autotrail or resign from Motorhome Fun ?

I would sell it before it gets nicked. The big AT vans look very smart on the road so that will appeal to Mr P1k3y.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Overtook a large MH towing a car along the A92 in Fife a little while ago, I thought lucky sod going on holiday.

I pulled in to the local Retail park which has a disused MFI, now turned into a traveller camp, when low and behold the MH turns up with the tow car and pitches up.

I think they have moved on to MHs, but do they pay tax and insurance? Is it one rule for us and them? As MH owners do we have minority status like them?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It's really worrying that they are starting to use more motorhomes.
When you saw a large caravan towed by a van it was a good clue as to who or what they were.
When they use more MoHo's we will all start to be viewed with suspicion.

Richard.

The first time I saw Irish Travellers in a MH was in about 2007. Easy to spot despite the lack of caravans.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
You do see loads of vans and MHs abroad on RO plates, usually heading to or from the UK.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Motorhomes will take over from trailer caravans because of the need to sit another test to tow a large caravan.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This is the offending Autotrail. Looked in pretty good condition from the outside, but judging by the amount of rubbish they were throwing out, the inside must be a tip. It was a 54 or 55 plate, “unfortunately”, the cone is obscuring the plate
A58B815B-54B8-4898-B005-5DB328ADDCCB.jpeg

It’s a shame. The travelling community and proper Gypsies in France are quite well respected in most of Rural France, and they appear to respect where they stay.
Of course, there is always the unwelcome group looking for a place to wreck wherever you go.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is the offending Autotrail. Looked in pretty good condition from the outside, but judging by the amount of rubbish they were throwing out, the inside must be a tip. It was a 54 or 55 plate, “unfortunately”, the cone is obscuring the plate
View attachment 188590
It’s a shame. The travelling community and proper Gypsies in France are quite well respected in most of Rural France, and they appear to respect where they stay.
Of course, there is always the unwelcome group looking for a place to wreck wherever you go.
The loo inside will be pristine as they always crap outside.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A lot of the Irish ones travel through our way in the summer I would say over 50% of them are in Motorhomes, a lot of them Watertrails so with any luck they will fill up with water and drown them.:)

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
View attachment 188590
I wonder whose pride and joy that was before it went missing?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Must admit that's exactly what Julie does with our washing, what else can you do to dry it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Motorhomes will take over from trailer caravans because of the need to sit another test to tow a large caravan.
... but you still have to take a test to drive larger MHs too so not necessarily ... and do they bother anyway???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Damn ... I bought a ROI number plate which I was considering sticking on our camper ... should I or shouldn't I now ????? o_O

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Must admit that's exactly what Julie does with our washing, what else can you do to dry it.
I now have mine swinging about in the shower..... Don't want called a p1k3y....
15065089368922039594968.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You wouldn't be able to take it out of your drive as it would have to be registered in the ROI.:ROFLMAO:
... thank goodness it turns out I bought a NI one then ...! Never could remember which was which!! :D

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
How do we stop ourselves being mistaken for itinerants? Maybe the stickers on our windscreen would identify us as being pukka - this year's C&MC, this year's NT, this year's CritAir, etc? LOL

We went to B&Q Depot locally a number of times earlier this year to fetch stuff for re-doing our bathroom. On the front left of the store as you enter the carpark, is the Trade entrance and the carpark area on the left is used for Trade customers with longer parking spaces marked for big vans, pick-up trucks etc - and there they were with their washing etc etc.

Cheeky barstewards were apparently telling Trade customers they couldn't park there - and when we were told that (by the lady on the till) I burst out laughing and said Trade or not - it's about the last place on their carpark I'd even try and park, at the moment! LOL

Staff couldn't leave any stock on display outside however heavy it was, overnight - all had to be moved back into the shop at night and back outside again next morning.

Anyway by the time we'd finished the bathroom they had moved on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back