Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Nice to see some posts in this MHF backwater :Smile:

Our 115 was purchased as a starter home in Mar 2007, we now have 20000 miles on the clock and have toured extensively throughout the EU including 6 weeks in Greece (which was fantastic) We thought about upgrading and started to look at the German Ubermobiles but nothing really suited and despite some tentative looks since then nothing has come close.

No leaks, except into the engine bay now all sorted, lots of mods - love it!

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Nice to see some posts in this MHF backwater :Smile:

Our 115 was purchased as a starter home in Mar 2007, we now have 20000 miles on the clock and have toured extensively throughout the EU including 6 weeks in Greece (which was fantastic) We thought about upgrading and started to look at the German Ubermobiles but nothing really suited and despite some tentative looks since then nothing has come close.

No leaks, except into the engine bay now all sorted, lots of mods - love it!

And there was me reading about all these Funsters with their big MH's would ours be big enough to venture abroad in. I do wish we had a bit more external space other than were the gas bottles are though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Detector

Free Member
Jun 4, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
Exp
20 years on and off.
We collected our new motorhome a few weeks back (Autoquest 120) and wonder if we made a big mistake.

In the past new has meant new and in reasonable condition with just a few minor problems to be sorted by the dealer. With the Autoquest I spotted three or four faults pre delivery and the fixing of these caused three or four more. The first trip of just a few miles brought several more to light and the first trip of a few hundred miles pushed the number up above forty. Problem is I'm to scared to go back to the dealer as to be frank they are bodgers and Elddis seem to remain in their ivory castle always about to ring back but never managing it.

Having checked out a few other 120's and 140's they seem much the same as mine. I was shocked to see so much bare wood and even wallpaper exposed to the wet under the camper. The, I can't call it underseal, under lick of watered down paint is see through in many areas, plus there's scratches through to the wood. The section of pine running the length of the back bumper is untreated and wet even though we have had almost no rain. It seems the condensation runs down the full width of the rear and enters the top of the thin fillit that seems to be intended to waterproof the top of the bumper but doesn't. I've run tape along as a temporary measure.

The winder mechanism for the spare tyre looks like new from the rear. Wriggle right up to it and you can see the supporting tag has little paint and is already rusting well.
Taking about rust who screws on doors and decides several bright finished screws is offset rather well with one's that are red rust.

Re the on road noise some have mentioned. With ours some cupboards had two anti rattle plastic bumps fitted, others one and some none at all.
One window was hard to shut....reason, a great wadge of gray filler packed under the rubber seal. This is the same filler that is sticking out like sharks teeth around every outside alloy strip and hatch surround. I then spotted that the same window at the other end had the catch fitted so high that it didn't engage with the part its meant to lock into on the window frame.

There's lots of minor scratches. A bent wardrobe hinge that sticks halfway open (better quality of the same size can be bought at your local DIY store). The toilet door started to come off in the night. The middle hinge pin had slipped out due to vibration when traveling and when I opened it in the middle of the night the door opened half way and locked solid. This put pressure on the frame and that start to come away. Reason. Full size screws fitted at the bottom of the frame and half sized further up that just pulled straight out.

I thought at least the waterproofing had been carried out in the engine bay but the middle gap was never sealed and the tape applied over what looks like sand. Peering under the engine cover I see that all is nice and rusty so the cover was applied well after the engine had been exposed to the flood.

On the plus side we only had space for the 120, so bigger campers were out. It runs well and we have the rear lounge design my wife so wanted. Its just I expected to be out using it, not rebuilding it. I can only assume that the company have a bonus scheme so it doesn't encourage the staff to report faults, allied with little or no quality control.

aande

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
Funster No
Elddis 120

Ouch, I have an 08 reg Elddis 120. I have just returned from a round trip of Italy and Scilly with no problems at all. I understand that it is not top of the range and I had to have the complete electrical loom replaced prior to setting out (good job I asked for a through check out before I left despite not due for an annual service for 2 months!. I have kept one eye shut and am not technically minded at all so I dont notice little niggles lol. So far 15,500 completed and I intend to go to Spain in November. I believe a camper van is for using otherwise I would have bought a caravan. I will continue to read this thread just in case I should be checking something out before the next journey!. ps the CD only plays for about an hour before the radio gets too hot and all I get is feedback through the speakers - will raise the point when it goes in for its annual service in July.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs...:whatthe: I was quite happy with mine till I read this thread!

Mine is the 200 and is coming up to four years old. My biggest complaint is the screws in the beds.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have an 06 130 and im more than happy with mine and im a really pickie person if things are wrong they will annoy me.

Gerry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Crumbs...:whatthe: I was quite happy with mine till I read this thread!

Mine is the 200 and is coming up to four years old. My biggest complaint is the screws in the beds.
what you get up to in your bed is not really anything to do with the motorhome so unfair comment, hee hee

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We have an older autostratus on the hire fleet and she is good as gold! Never have a problem with her at all!

We were looking a replacing, and have been looking about at the newer ones - only we found that the build quality has dropped a little - not just on Elddiss, but on a whole range of them. The seat cushions are so thin you can feel the board beneath - look nice but quite shocking compared with the current one we have - it knocks spots off.

It is a difficult one with hire, as people want new vehicles - but to be honest, the quality and comfort is better in the older one!

We had a 'bad' new model as well, which didn't help and had made us cautious. That spent most of...make that all of the time we had it with its' bonnet up!

Detector

Free Member
Jun 4, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
Exp
20 years on and off.
My neighbour took his first trip in another major British brand and went through the bed the first night. They made a temporary repair and as his wife was lighter he slept on her side of the bed the next few nights. She wanted something out the luton so stood on the unbroken side and guess what, a loud cracking noise.

At least the covers unzipped so it was easy to cut and fit a plysheet that would take more than ten stone. The boards fitted were little thicker than a pound coin, filled along cracks with a pink filler.
They sold it before the warranty ran out by which time every hinge was rusty, the rear door kept seizing and the roof light kept leaking as the glassfibre shell was so thin that that whole section of roof flexed alarmingly every time it was opened. Mold on all the interior cloth wall panels made it look aweful and the only way they could be cleaned was by dry cleaning which he was recommended to have carried out at least once a year at a cost of £200.

Aande why did the wiring need replacing in such a short period ? I was told when I was away last week that there had been fires when the pullers wiring loom had been worn through by the steering column. I thought he was having me on as I hadn't seen any mention of this on the forums.

Just to see if I can post a picture the photo is of the trim on the panel to the left of the 120's door. Autoquest fitted a underlength edge strip leaving two inches of ply exposed at ceiling height. The dealers repair consisted of pulling it off and sticking it back with the missing bit at the bottom with a botched in section of offcut wood of the wrong size. Chipped the panel and scratched the alloy strip at the same time and even damage the floorcovering (see bottom right). Is this what people consider an acceptable repair on a new motorhome ?

Attachments

• P5220395.jpg
    P5220395.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 16

aande

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
Funster No
elddis autoquest 120 08 reg

I am not technical at all and rely on this forum for all sorts of information. All I can say about the electical loom is that I arranged a 1st Aid check prior to my trip to Italy since the annual service was not due until after I came back (Jul). On the morning that I was due to take the van in I put the key in the ignition and nothing on the display dash worked - nothing! I turned the key with my heart in my mouth and the engine turned over and started. I gingerly drove to the garage - no more than 1/2 mile away and explained the problem to the girl at reception (do you notice how you cannot get to speak to a technician to explain any problems and never know whether your query will be acted upon). At the end of the day the garage rang to say they had had to replace the wiring loom because it had rubbed against the steering colum and shorted out - thank god Im a coward and wanted the van checked before the Italy journey - I dread to think what I would have done in the back and beyond with pidgeon Italian to seek help. At the same time I mentioned that I only hand three rings on my oil warning on the dash and asked them to check the oil. When I got the van back the next day there were still only 3 rings on the oil warning light. I wiped the dip stick half a dozen times and finally convinced myself that I should put a little oil in. After filling up a touch the oil rings reverted to the original 5 rings, so even though I pointed this out to the receptionist I guess it was too much to check and top up the oil to make the customer feel better. I also asked for all the tyres to be checked for the correct pressure - I wonder if that was done!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs Aande, and they told me to ignore the rings completely and just go off the dipstick as the rings were neither use nor ornament.:Sad:

Detector

Free Member
Jun 4, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
Exp
20 years on and off.
Think I will go and have a look at my wireing loom/steering column now.

Found this morning that most of the rear bumper clips that hold that part of the loom up had split from the adhesive backing that should attach them to the inside of the bumper.

All adds to the fun I suppose !

aande

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
Funster No
Elddis 120 08 Reg

I just wish that when we put the vans into the base workshop for the annual check/service and the caravan sales for the annual habitation check that they would look out for all these little things and volunteer to repair/fix them!

Sun Lover

Free Member
Jun 24, 2010
Worcester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
We have a Elddis Autoquest320 and have owned it for 6 years. It is perfect in condition (1994) and am just updateing for a Peugeot starspirit 2005. Hope it will be as good. :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back