The Omnia Oven .. Review and Recipes (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks to @Chockswahay for the information on the Omnia Oven(y)

Read all about it here http://omniasweden.com/en/home/

I have now purchased one and will (hopefully) be posting the results.

Main reason was for baking bread in the van, I do have an oven but it takes quite a time to heat it up and it uses a fair amount of gas.. will also be trying out other recipes, it has endless possibilities.. basically anything you can do in a conventional oven is possible on the Omnia .. so for those without an oven this may be just the job.?

Will also use at home, this will save energy by not using my big oven to do a few scones or part cooked rolls..

The exciting part of unpacking.. all the way from Germany and only ordered last Thursday afternoon..

IMG_3405.jpg IMG_3406.jpg IMG_3407.jpg IMG_3408.jpg IMG_3409.jpg IMG_3410.jpg IMG_3411.jpg IMG_3412.jpg

going to try Hasselback potatoes, usually do them in the big oven..

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7535/hasselback-potatoes.aspx

and Soda Scones after dinner

will post photos later ..

Any tips or recipes please post them on this thread :)

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hey @scotjimland thats good news(y)

A couple of tips for you........

Pre heat the steel base for 2 or 3 minutes on its own before placing the oven on top

Be weary of going too hot as it is easy to burn whatever touches the inner part of the oven (by the hole)

I find when baking bread it is good to be liberal with the flour and this will avoid sticking

For bread I tend to ‘bake for two’ so most of the time I only use 200 to 250g of flour, I also convert most bread stuff into long or round rolls although I have often made ‘rings’ of bread. I bake most bread at 2 minutes high then 18 mins medium to low but you will have to work out what is best for you/your hob

If cooking stuff with much sugar keep the heat down to avoid burning or sticking if possible

Let us all know how you get on. I have often mentioned the Omnia on MHF but very few have ‘seen the light’ hehe

(y):)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Tatties turned out good.. took a bit longer than normal but that was probably me being a bit cautious with the heat..

Before cooking started..
IMG_3413.jpg

Almost done.. not as roasted as normal .. couldn't wait any longer.. but still delicious
IMG_3415.jpg

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ooh nice, did you par boil? How long to cook?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The recipe for the 4 rolls (lifted from another thread I started a few weeks ago)

OK then ........

200g white bread flour
2g dried yeast
4g fine salt
130g tepid water

Mix up the whole lot in a mixing bowl until it forms a sticky dough.

Leave for 10 mins

Knead in the bowl with knuckles and fingers almost as if folding from sides to middle for about 30 seconds

Leave for another 10 mins

Knead as above

Leave for another 10 mins then once more as above

Sat aside in the bowl covered for about an hour until double in size

remove the dough from the bowl and gently deflate with your fingers and then divide into four rounds and set aside on a floured surface covered with a plastic bag or a piece of clingfilm and leave to rise again for another 30 mins or so

Flour gently and bake for about 20 mins on a medium heat (or 220c if proper oven) but be careful if using a double skillet etc as base will burn.

To check if fully baked tap the bottom and expect a hollow sound

Cool for 30 mins and enjoy (y)

NOTE: These are basic instructions and I am an experienced baker but have a go! It’s the only way to learn :)

P.S. I only use one bowl to save washing but you can use another one if you wish for the kneading and proving bit, also you can rub a little butter on the bowl to prevent sticking

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ere Jim @scotjimland

In E.Leclerc this morning we found this non stick cake tin for €5. I figured it would just fit the Omnia so took a chance....... the result is fantastic (y)

I placed it inside the Omnia oven and the top still fits perfectly (just increases height by about 8mm. I just baked a baguette (with my new French T65 flour and it did not stick or burn near the inside :)

6D9E2664-BDD7-491B-83D8-CBA293E6F2FD.jpeg
6C478D35-B334-4591-A9CE-FAFBF74AB299.jpeg
71C20979-087F-4ADA-A38A-74ED6637B675.jpeg
B5587F17-F89B-4BF9-ACDE-6155CFB8900A.jpeg
58D140D3-C013-44BB-9A89-8DC2576E2800.jpeg

This is a game changer for my ‘van baking’ :D

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Omnia want about £30 for a non stick silicon liner.. guess who hasn't bought one.. :LOL:
Yeah! Me too! Actually I had wondered if the silicone liner would transfer heat for bread efficiently (?) but in the case of this baking tin it is aluminium so does the job really well (y)

I’m really happy :D2

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
Had a go with my new 'Le Four palestinien oven' (French version of the Omnia oven) that I bought from @Minxy Girl (y)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/omnia-style-hob-top-ovens-new.190381/

Pans.JPG

Top right hand side of pic is my ancient savarin cake tin which fits in the new pan.

:D:D:D I LOVE IT! :D:D:D

It makes wonderful roast potatoes - crunchy on the outside - soft and fluffy inside on the top of the gas stove.

I cut the potatoes up a bit smaller than I usually do as I did not par-boil them.

Put the diffuser on the gas to heat up.

Oiled the pan.

Put a tablespoon on oil in a small bowl, chucked the pots in, coated them in oil, lifted out with slotted spoon, put in pan, put lid on making sure vents were open.

Put pan on to diffuser, had gas on just over halfway.

Turned the pots over after 15mins

15 - 20 mins later (can't be more precise as was listning to Mark Steel of R4 and got distracted) this was the result:-

Pots.JPG

They are slightly more done on one side than the other, my fault don't think I had it on there straight. Had them with experimental beetroot & red kidney bean veggie burgers with carrots, celery & broccoli.

I am delighted with it.

The one thing that worried me was the thought of not having an oven in a PVC, I would miss my roast pots the most. Now I know I don't need one.

Thought it was a good idea to play around with things like this now while I am trying to find a van, really looking forward to trying to make bread and scones in it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thought it was a good idea to play around with things like this now while I am trying to find a van, really looking forward to trying to make bread and scones in it.
Have you done any more goodies in it? I'm drooling here waiting for the photos! :D

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
Have you done any more goodies in it? I'm drooling here waiting for the photos! :D

Yes, I have made several lots of scones since my roast potatoes post, not sure if they are drool worthy or not.

My first try was putting them in my savarin pan but it sits on the bottom and the base of the scones were slightly burnt, the rest of each one tasted great. So pondered the problem. Then -

I HAD A GOOD IDEA(y)

I remembered I had an old large cooling rack which used to be a fridge shelf (long boring story), wondered if I made a template for my Omnia clone from baking paper I could make a rack to lift the savarin pan off the base of the Omnia and possibly use it to actually cook things like scones or bread rolls on. Junior hacksaw, pair cutting pliers, pair normal pliers, a few cuts & grazes on my hands, an hour later this is the result:
Racktop.JPG
RackSide.JPG
Bit rough & ready, it was hard to cut & bend but it works brilliantly, it lifts the pan off the base and cooks scones on the actual rack perfectly. The ones pictured below I added a bit too much milk to and they spread out more than usual but they tasted wonderful, they don't taste GF.
GFScones.JPG
I would imagine that you would not have any problems cooking scones made with normal flour. I'm sure any scones would work well in the savarin pan with it lifted off the bottom.

This is my favourite recipe so far:

Gluten Free Scones

8oz Doves Farm White Bread Flour
2½ tesp GF Baking Powder
2½ oz margarine or butter
1½ oz caster sugar
pinch salt
1 egg, beaten
maybe a little milk or water if needed depending on size of egg.

Put your omnia on to heat up.
Sieve and mix all the dry ingredients together.
Rub in marg or butter till it looks like bread crumbs.
Stir in egg and milk until it just holds together.
I tipped it out onto a piece of baking parchment that had a light sprinkling of flour on it.
I did not roll the dough at all, I just patted it into a round and cut out 6 scones, using a cutter about 2½"across.
Brush top of scones with egg or milk wash.
I cut out 6 circles of baking parchment to put between the scones and the rack.
Place on the rack, put on lid and bake for 15 - 20 mins.
------------------------------------------
They freeze very well and defrost in about 30 secs in the microwave. It is great to have something GF that is instantly available to eat.

The paper circles are essential for GF scones as the mixture is softer than normal scones and will sink through the holes in the rack, you end up with lots of little burnt squares, wonder how I know that:whistle:

Did consider putting large nuts (from nuts & bolts) under the savarin pan but thought the rack would be more versatile.

I also tried cheese scones, below left, recipe needs tweeking and rice flour scones below right, awful.
CheeseRice.JPG

Will have to start on bread next - all this experimenting is not doing my waistline a lot of good:rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The paper circles are essential for GF scones as the mixture is softer than normal scones and will sink through the holes in the rack, you end up with lots of little burnt squares, wonder how I know that:whistle:
:D

I suppose you could use bun cases, either paper or silicone, instead of just circles so they would keep their shape better. I like the idea of the rack - you can buy cheap round thinish wire trivets which would do the job with a hole cut in the middle ... I have one so I'll have to have a play with mine. :) The important thing is that they cook as they should and taste great so no different to cooking them in a normal oven but using a lot less gas which is a bonus.

As we haven't got an oven in our camper this is why we wanted one and also thought other funsters might want one too, however it will be much more economical to use this than our large home oven so I might have to keep a second one for myself! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl Why are you not using one? ;)
I will be but we've got major issues at home with other things at the mo :( (central heating not working properly since we had a new boiler fitted just over 2 weeks ago and a poorly dog to name just a couple) so I'll have a play when I'm in the mood to do so ... can't wait to start using it but too much going at present. :unsure:

Show us some more of your lovely bread to cheer me up ... I can at least 'imagine' that I'm scoffing it! :D

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Minxy Girl funnily enough I made soda bread this morning but no piccies (sorry).

You are right though, these things (generically) are actually cheaper and faster to use than the oven at home.

We are staying with Son and D.I .L at the moment but still make the bread in the Omnia (y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Minxy Girl Here you are Mel, a couple of piccies from a few weeks back :D

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5523.JPG

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
If you want to make a loaf of bread that fills the Omnia, approximately how much flour would you use? Thanks:)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If you want to make a loaf of bread that fills the Omnia, approximately how much flour would you use? Thanks:)
I have used up to 400g but I suggest 350 would give a little more room.

Rather than bake a single loaf I prefer to bake 8 rolls which then all touch and join up with each other during the prove/bake.

Also they look nice too ?

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Many thanks, that is very helpful!