The offline cost of an online life (1 Viewer)

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
The technology we use is accounting for more and more of the energy we consume. And we need to know just how much.

The next time you want to search for something on the web, try going to Blackle - Energy Saving Search instead of your usual search engine.

The page you get looks remarkably like Google, and queries are fed through to Google, but there's one obvious difference.

Instead of the generous amount of white space which has characterised Google's home page since its 1998 launch, the page is mostly black.

Heap Media, the Australian company behind Blackle, claims black pixels take less power than white and so using its search saves energy. It believes that small things matter when it comes to reducing our energy use, limiting our CO2 output and reducing the likely extent of global warming as a result of human activity.

Whether or not turning off a few million white pixels makes a measurable difference is debatable, and Google has challenged the assumptions behind Blackle, especially when it comes to LCD screens.

The author of the excellent 'High Performance Web Sites', has taken the debate a stage further by looking at the power consumption implications of poorly-designed web pages.

Full story here

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Whether this is true or not I reckon it would have been a cracking story on the first day of this month :ROFLMAO:

What they have overlooked is the tremendous saving the internet has made in terms of global warming. We no longer have to drive to the bank to pay money etc, we do it online. We visit friends less and do it online. I do not play golf any more so no more panting as I struggle up the hills etc etc.

All makes for less driving and more surfing :roflmto:

stew

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Ian

I think its about 90w, but I guess it depends on the model

stew

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
It's quite difficult to measure a laptop power usage as it draws all of it's needs from the battery. The mains adapter just provides power to the integral battery charger. The most power consumption comes when downloading a movie from the internet connected with a 3G modem stick whilst copying data from the hard disk onto a DVD with a flat battery.:roflmto: Then it'll be using just about every watt it can get!
Most modern 15" laptops are unlikely to draw more than 70 watts.

Hope that helps

Regards
Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back