Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
As the weather changes and I move further south I would like to take a different route into Portugal than in previous years. I think the nostalgia of roads and places we've stayed as a couple will bring me too much sorrow and so I would like to make some new memories of my own.

With this is mind, I thought that after landing at San Sebastian I would travel the Spanish northern coast. I'm hoping that this will be Mid October but my dates are always flexible.

Has anyone any experience of the northern coast at this time of year? I will be staying on aires only - my budget will not run to campsites. Are there plenty of stopping places and will I be welcomed there by the Spanish people?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Get yourself down to Benidorm girl....and create new memories:) loads of funsters there by October!

Visit north coast of Spain (around into northern Portugal worth doing) in spring or early autumn...October pushing it....

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Have a look at the ACSI book, but I think a lot of sites might be closed. It will also be raining probably!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Some lovely Aires in Portugal and people really friendly

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Never been in October but have visited in March. Weather terrible and many sites closed and didn't find too many places to stop we liked . Maybe just unlucky but one of those holidays you look back on with no good memories

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Oh dear. :/

I will be heading into Portugal at some point but wanted a different route this time. I quit fancied going down the Portuguese west coast too as previously have only travelled down from Lisbon on previous trips.

As I posted, my budget is limited and I will not be able to stay on campsites - Aires only.

And Benidorm? Not for me thanks. I visited once and, after being on the road for a year tucked into the biggest English breakfast I've ever seen courtesy of 'Maddie's Cafe (where you are assured of a Scottish welcome) and thoroughly enjoyed it but I like the peace and quiet and it was too busy for me.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Been twice in April only.

First time glorious weather, second time peed down every day.

Beautiful coast though and really nice people.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you might never get to spain that west coast of france might keep you.
but if you do get there just hug the sea again .
mind to be honest i love that coast all the way around . galicia and northern portugal are fantastic . but oct /nov can be windy and very wet.
we usually drop across to valencia region and slowly go south . following the sea of course . hoping for portugal late feb early march. then the weather is getting better as you go north .
not so keen on the algarve but the west coast is brill. from lisbon up is the best parts of portugal . again that coast is wild . there are some great forest roads and beaches hardly seen by tourists .

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
The only time I would consider this very attractive option, is if I had a two week weathar forecast for fine, dry, sunny conditions. We've been in the situation in December and March (out to S/P and back over winter) many times and the weather has never been right!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you click on the B beside my name on the left it will take you to a little blog about a trip we made this year which started going along the northern coast into Galicia. We went too quickly along the coast but Galicia, when we got there was superb. The weather will be iffy but I don't think that should put you off - staying at the aire at Cape Finisterre in a storm would be awesome!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you click on the B beside my name on the left it will take you to a little blog about a trip we made this year which started going along the northern coast into Galicia. We went too quickly along the coast but Galicia, when we got there was superb. The weather will be iffy but I don't think that should put you off - staying at the aire at Cape Finisterre in a storm would be awesome!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have had several really wet times in portugal.
i was told by a spaniard as a kid .the rain in spain is usually in portugal.
he was right.
in recent years twice have had 7 weeks almost continual rain while heading north in jan feb in portugal.
by march its usually much better.
since not going to morocco did think might spend 6 weeks extra in spain and 6 weeks extra in portugal . but it was a waste in portugal.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I spent last winter in Portugal and spite it being the coldest winter in years it was still one hundred times better than living through a Manx winter in our cottage in a valley where we don't see any sun until March. So, I'm just happy that it's better than here. And, if it's really hellish then I'll just drive until it gets better.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there have been some really great winters in portugal.
its just its greener than some places because of the rain.
for me its a shame spain is so bad inland . deep snow freezing cold . but it is very high.
very often we spend days higher than ben nevis . my mate lives at fort william so always noticing the heights . but honest inland spain is amazing . rivers ,creeks lakes etc . i do like the coast but inland spain definitely s something special.
you give it all a goeod try. life is one big adventure and exploring is fun.
there are lots of reservoirs barragems etc in portugal that usually have restaurants etc by them .
every day can be a new adventure . if you arent happy in one place move on . but slowly ,there,s no need to go fast . that nice place will be tucked around the corner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back