The New Number Plate Craze (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The latest pimp is to have car number plates dark tinted.

This makes it very difficult for even those with good eyesight to read on a passing vehicle.

I saw a car a couple of months ago with, privacy tint all around the windows (including the front Screen). In addition, the plates were so darkly tinted, they could not be read. Are the coppers going around with their eyes closed, saw the same car this week.

I feel this practice is very vain and out of order, surely not legal?.

People use the argument that if they can be read by ANPR/Speed cameras, they are legal. But what about hit and runs?.

TM
Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 20.42.31.png

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Don't look very legal to me, on older cars you use to be able to have black plates but I think it changed around 1973 to the current plates.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It may be readable by the ANPR cameras but if it's not readable by Plod sitting in his Jam Jar, he might decide to have a word.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think you'll find that the film that is employed is an infra red filter to screw up enforcement photography, and will pretty much guarantee you a warning letter or even a summons before too long

Forget the crap about people claiming that ANPR will read them, that may or may not apply (how would you know?) and in any case, what about "safety" (speed) cams?

Guidance on number plates here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

Legislation on registration plates here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/made

If you want to become a magnet for every copper with time on his hands, then these will get you noticed. I promise

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I think you'll find that the film that is employed is an infra red filter to screw up enforcement photography, and will pretty much guarantee you a warning letter or even a summons before too long

Firget the crap about people claiming that ANPR will read them, that may or may not apply (how would you know?) and in any case, what about "safety" (speed) cams?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/made

Exactly!(y)

Hopefully the number plate will attract the attention of the police - it's to avoid recognition, not a 'fashion'.......

Really 'bright' advertising the fact that you are likely to speed or break he law.....:doh:

........as I said ................w**ker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Thing is it all depends on a police presence/ person seeing it

I know a car local to me has required a new mot
( expired in January 2017)
Used quite regularly seems not to have been pulled yet

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Checked MOT on that reg with DVLA............"can't be found"

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Checked MOT on that reg with DVLA............"can't be found"

Now that comes as no surprise to me Vic.

Believe me, in my line of work I know any number of people who thought they would be clever and haven't got away with things.

Funny how they all sound the same when they go hurtling around to their lawyers thinking that money can get them off everything. They all leave with tears in their eyes and a lot less than they came in with. The only person left smiling is the lawyer

Saw one of the old favourites, blue Subaro "WRC" chav mobile with gold wheels and an exhaust pipe that would be the envy of Kim Kardashian being pulled at random at a traffic light the other week. A copper had called a recovery truck to impound it when I returned 40 minutes later. The exhaust at least was illegal

Got to love these idiots who make themselves so conspicuous

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
When number plates were black and silver my dear old dad got stopped and told his silver numbers were too shiny!!
Still remember the number today 445 HRT!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Was
When number plates were black and silver my dear old dad got stopped and told his silver numbers were too shiny!!
Still remember the number today 445 HRT!
Was the car menopausal?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Apart from the illegality what is the point of having a personalised registration and then making it unreadable?

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Remember when 'fancy' fonts were all the rage? I couldn't read them either. Thankfully you don't see too many of those anymore.

I guess this has taken over now :(

Oh, and I see a lot of chav-mobiles with their front number plate sitting on their dashboard as apparently a plate attached to the front of the car spoils the lines (or something) :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back