The mysteries of Insurance renewals (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is for a commercial panel van not a motorhome

Insured year 1, it was around £350. Lloyds

Year 2, they auto renewed it, I was busy, didn't notice till a month or so later that they had charged me £528. Robin barstewards. Made even worse, that the wheels never turned all year! Made a diary note to check it this year

Year 3 they just tried it on again quote came in at £691. I was ready this time. I called and asked them to get it lower than the year one price or cancel. After an age of negotiation, well just me saying "you must be joking" they eventually after speaking to the supervisor and making me a special case came down to £616.43. I declined.

Compare the market, all the same details, named drivers, everything exactly the same. The very same company, Lloyds were second cheapest at £312. :doh:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our insurance tried to increase the price for the second year, I rang them up armed with a quote from Confused. Com. They matched it and I haven't had any bother with them since. They must have ticked the 'tight git' box on our account 😎

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know , we have the same every year with Admiral on a little old Renault clio which we still call the childrens’ car. They also underwrite Bell and Elephant so I do the price comparison before I phone them.

This year , because our youngest had moved home from Uni due to Covid they couldn’t come close so I did a new quote as a new customer through Topcashback and got another £35 back ! Still with Admiral , I told them on the phone I was going to do it, the young chap just laughed, his computer just couldn’t cope with all the changes I suppose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's a con , they hope you pay by direct debit and either don't notice or can't be bothered to go though the 30 questions on the various sites

By law you have a 14 day cooling off period so if you cancel at day 12 they can only charge you for 12 days only some of them have got wise and nowcharge you a non refundable admin fee to set the policy up.

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I was insured with More Than for several years with my car, each year the renewal would come in much higher, each year I went onto comparison sites and More Than would come out near the top as cheapest and they would even ring me to see if I was going to take out the 'new' policy. They couldn't price match on my existing policy but were happy to set me up as a 'new' customer each year, totally bonkers.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Last year I missed the renewal date by one day with Saga.They had offered a nearly 2/3 year fixed deal that wasn't far off the mark.Rang them "no that offer has expired ..no....no. so I said bye bye..and ended with Performance Direct.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Year 2, they auto renewed it, I was busy, didn't notice till a month or so later that they had charged me £528. Robin barstewards. Made even worse, that the wheels never turned all year! Made a diary note to check it this year

Year 3 they just tried it on again quote came in at £691. I was ready this time. I called and asked them to get it lower than the year one price or cancel. After an age of negotiation, well just me saying "you must be joking" they eventually after speaking to the supervisor and making me a special case came down to £616.43. I declined.

Compare the market, all the same details, named drivers, everything exactly the same. The very same company, Lloyds were second cheapest at £312. :doh:
Lost count of the number of times I've went with the same insurer but taken out a new policy through a comparison site because it was cheaper and the best.
However, this year was a new one on me. Renewal came in (can't remember the exact figures so say) £300. So phones up the insurers to say going to cancel as cheaper elsewhere (£240). Asked where, yourselves. OK I am not allowed to price match with ourselves but if you pay the best price I can give you £260 I can then put it through as a "subsequent price match" and you'll get the difference credited. Within a week the credit was through and paid the £240 but still with same policy.
Happened twice with the same insurer, eSure.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Quotemehappy has for the past 3 years been very competitive.
This year the premium increased by £2.50
Which still beat the comparison sites by about £25 for better cover & lower excess.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Does it matter ..? To me I cant think of many less honorable proffesions..
Out to take your eyes out at any opportunity..
My apologies to anyone on here involved in it but It's how I see it..
Absolutely nothing for any loyalty..just take advantage of any opportunity..
The only cavet to that is there are many who do I'm sure take any opportunity to scam the insurers so possibly we are where we are because of that sort of mentality..
Little rant over for today
(y) :ROFLMAO:
Andy.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
No mystery about it just trying to take Joe public for a ride.
How much did my pension increase in the last 12 months - not even 25% of the premium increase.
Unfortunately it seems the only way is to do as suggested above and play them at there own game.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Surely we all know by now that this is how it works,rightly or wrongly. Some people seem to spend more time on trivia than they do on their personal financial affairs......at their peril unfortunately. Put a note in your diary 3 weeks before the renewal dates of your vehicle insurances and you won’t be caught out,then go on comparison sites,then do the deal.
Do the same for your leccie and gas.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
My car insurance renewal through Budget dropped a fiver this year. 2019/'20 - £281.58. '20/'21 - £276.73.

MH insurance through Comfort is £335.16, last one was £327.41.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have to go through the rigmarole of changing insurers every year for my house, motorbikes and cars. I won't do auto renewal.
MH insurance through Comfort is £335.16, last one was £327.41.
The only insurance I don't have to worry about is with Comfort for the m/h. Over 7 years it has only increased less than a tenner a year.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020

Dual pricing( the practice of charging existing customers more than new ones) has been outlawed by the FCA. Auto renewal while not outlawed is frowned on and many insurers are stopping the practice. Complain to the Ombudsman(get some paint to watch dry while you wait) and report them to the FCA

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I actually enjoy renewal time when I can sort the best deal and then play companies off against each other.

It did come back to bite me this week though - I decided to make sure I had the details of all my insurances on my phone.

Unfortunately, I had mislaid the email with the details of my car insurance and, for the life of me, couldn't remember who I was insured with. Luckily I knew the month it was due so could search my bank statements and find the payment. 🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back