Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
OK OK, we should have learned our lesson. We have been pulled out of mud twice before. Once in the Lake District in Winter and once in Italy where the little tractor had to concede his authority to Mr Bloody great big tractor.

Yesterday we headed yet again for the Lake District. Found a long dead end road just after Kendal Caravan Sales on the A6 near Shap. Seriously uphill and seriously downhill but very quiet and quite lovely.

We looked for a flat bit of ground that would offer zero challenge to our ability to climb or struggle. How wrong could we be. It was immediately apparent that despite the flatness our front wheels were going nowhere. Like you do - I tried a bit of pull forward, followed by a bit of a pull backwards.

You know it's not going well when little lumps of mud fly past the wing mirrors. I got out to take a look at how deep we were in. Not as bad is it could be but still pretty obvious that we were not going to escape via the engine and driving technique.

We do carry those rope ladder gripper thingamajigs (spellchecker allowed that word), and figured they were about to get their first chance to prove their worth.

Very obvious, from the start, that the wheels would have to be jacked up in order to get the rope ladders under the wheels. The first attempt at jacking up the front resulted in the jack burying itself into the ground and the front wheels staying put.

Attempt two had to be with a big flat stone under the jack. Lo and behold the first wheel went up and the rope ladder was put in position. Wheel two also went up good as gold and the second rope ladder put in place. The wheels were lowered.

We all know that feeling when you know it's now or never. When I put it in reverse will the rope ladders fly off forwards in half a second, will I fly backwards towards the stone wall and smash the back end... or will the endeavour end in success and a bloody great big smile of satisfaction.

We are smiling, covered up to our arses in mud, but smiling.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Wots them rope ladder thingies called?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need to carry an "ash plant" which is the stick carried by officers of the Royal Tank Regiment. Originally they were just ordinary walking sticks but an ash plant has a bit more style. They were used in WW1 to test the firmness of the ground to avoid the tanks getting bogged in. Every MH should have one.

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Wots them rope ladder thingies called?
I can only describe them as rope ladders from a visual perspective. They have steps that have mini nails in one side and a grippy surface on the other side. I haven't looked them up on ebay yet but if you need some and can't find them I'll do the research.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I bought some last year from one of the shows - might have been Malvern. These ones are called Grip Track. Not been used in anger by us yet but lent then to a guy in France who wasn't getting anywhere fast & they worked a treat.
Edit - Just done a google for Grip Track. Top of the list, available on line for £55 & postage (gulp!). Sure I didn't pay that much!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well done that man and woman a garden cane will do the job as a prodding stick and can also be used for your wellies (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
To date I've lent my yellow grip mats to others more often than I've used them myself. A folding shovel also came in handy when someone else got bogged down in sand on the soft verge of an aire. Be prepared.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Tank+officer+ink+1.jpeg

Brave men. Life expectancy short.

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm certainly no expert, and need to get something sorted soon under certain circumstances you could say we are grip less, and need to get a grip, also no tow rope in this vehicle, are these any good if the link works? What would be a useful length of tow rope and what style, if it's not going off topic

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A couple of years ago in Portugal my front wheels sank into soft sand. I was concerned because in previous years I had been stuck at Peterborough; tractor tow, and in a field camping; tractor tow. Both occasions I had attempted to use the flat yellow tracks which became Frisbies in all but name.
I had bought the roll-out tracks that fasten to the van by rope, so if you do get moving, the van tows them behind to use again if needed. I did not need to jack up the van as the grips held on to the tread and first time out, they worked brilliantly. Mine were yellow and I could not find the exact model but they looked like these. but with a long rope to fasten to the van. Alan
Broken Link Removed

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm certainly no expert, and need to get something sorted soon under certain circumstances you could say we are grip less, and need to get a grip, also no tow rope in this vehicle, are these any good if the link works? What would be a useful length of tow rope and what style, if it's not going off topic

These are similar to the Fiamma Yellow ones we've got, personally the when we needed something (Chester) they were useless, the van was put in reverse we tried to move and the mats shot out at speed, luckily the wife caught one, the other landed a couple of yards away. We had been sat on them for a couple of days, but still not impressed. The ground was not so bad, it was just starting moving, once moving you were OK, so you would think it was the sort of ground situation they were intended for!

Seeing the above post @rosalan I think the roll up one are a better bet.

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi I carry land rover sand ladders bought from ebay not the cheapest or the lightest but you can drive 5 ton over deep cracks and mud with out them breaking them they are designed for off roading

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm now taking a serious interest in this, because I've got to do something useful, like the look of the ones @rosalan, so made a Google search, no idea how good this is, but it looks like a Land of Oz style with info about how to use them hope link works, just for info and any comments, not that I'm thinking of sending for any, well at this time I'm not(n)

http://www.bushranger.com.au/sandtrack.php#.VWNO46eCOrU

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Just chopped me bread trays as advised on here. Off to Bamfest next weekend and the forecast suggest they might come in handy.

What sounds like a plausible piece of advise I have had, is whenever you park on grass park on them, means the van doesn't settle into the dreaded "tyre" dip which you then have to climb out off.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Proper PSP slots together and you can make large pads with it! It has even been known to be used for runways!

Just perfect for preventing a whole Motorhome Fun Rally from sinking if you have enough of it!!!
pcp3.jpg
Broken Link Removed

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just chopped me bread trays as advised on here. Off to Bamfest next weekend and the forecast suggest they might come in handy.

What sounds like a plausible piece of advise I have had, is whenever you park on grass park on them, means the van doesn't settle into the dreaded "tyre" dip which you then have to climb out off.

This is going to sound somewhat novicely dozy, any chance you can show a photo of said bread trays, I understand the English language, and I think I know what you mean is it those plastic ones you see in the supermarkets, and then do you cut sides off so they are flat(n):snooze::nerd::think:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Nefariously, is that a supermarket like Aldi's or Lidls, and whereabouts are they based?:rolleyes:(y):whistle:

If you don't want to go to Aldi or Lidl, just fit some M&S tyres :), I have Toyo H09's, think someone on here uses the Kenda ones too (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back