the motorhome tourism organisation (1 Viewer)

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Seems familiar...

I followed the link and thought the site seemed to be familiar, so I checked my list of bookmarked sites, and the link I had saved for Camper Stops UK took me straight back to this site.

It appears that Camper Stops has re-branded itself and is carrying on the good work under the new name. :thumb:

Simon

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I followed the link and thought the site seemed to be familiar, so I checked my list of bookmarked sites, and the link I had saved for Camper Stops UK took me straight back to this site.

It appears that Camper Stops has re-branded itself and is carrying on the good work under the new name. :thumb:

Simon

Hi Simon

There was a possibility of confusion with another site using the name "camper stop" so it was decided that as the group were pushing tourism as a way of getting Aires/Halts/stops or what ever you want to call them, the name "The Motorhome Tourism Organisation" was chosen.

As the website was bought and paid for, the TMTCo_Org website continues to be used, but the site is now headed "The Motorhome Tourism Organisation". Keith is still the webmaster, backed by a team of volunteer workers. More are welcome.

Northern Ireland is being covered by the Motorhome Association, who have succeeded in getting French style Aires established over there.

Every UK council is being contacted to obtain the current stance on Motorhome Parking using Freedom of Information Requests. This information is gradually being put onto a map on site. This is bringing to light some councils that may be considering provision for motorhomes. It is also highlighting the attitude of some others that don't seem to know the difference between a trailer, a caravan or a Campervan/Motor Caravan/Motorhome/RV.

Some say no caravans while the TRO says no trailers on the car park. They will ticket a motor caravan in these circumstances.

Others have weight limits as low as 1500kg that they will impose on borderline campervans, but they ignore heavier 4x4s parked beside them.

Some claim they are historic towns so cannot possibly have motorhomes in them but the regulations say vehicles with trailers are allowed to park.

Another stated that only vehicles up to 5m long are allowed to park. A vehicle and a caravan both under 5m can park if they stay coupled and buy two tickets. However a Motorhome that is longer than 5m is not allowed to buy two tickets and overhang into the bay behind and would be given a PCN.

A number of councils have stated that the TROs used are not available for inspection unless you have received a PCN and appealed. However you need to know the terms in the TRO to state the grounds for your appeal.

Cornwall's ban defines a Motorhome as "any vehicle equipped for sleeping including an estate car with a matrass in the back". Yet they allow HGVs with sleeper cabs or Coaches with crew accommodation it park on the 17 car parks where motorhomes are banned overnight. Caravan can also park overnight. However an unoccupied motorhome will get a PCN the caravan will not.

These rules are being brought in because the councils realise that their "No Cooking, Eating or Sleeping" rules are unenforceable, so they are banning Motorhomes just because someone MAY sleep in one overnight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Whilst I hope that efforts to increase facilities for motorhome parking succeed it is not true to say that "councils realise that their "No Cooking, Eating or Sleeping" rules are unenforceable, so they are banning Motorhomes just because someone MAY sleep in one overnight".

All the examples quoted in John's post are of contents of TROs and that fact alone means that they are enforceable, just as national legislation is enforceable.

The reason why different councils use different expressions and have different rules is that they are drawn up separately - just as policies of the likes of Tesco and Asda, whilst similar, are drawn up separately.

At the time a TRO is created it is based on perceived requirements. Lack of motorhome parking facilities (leaving aside physical elements such as found in multi-storey car parks) is due to a lack of perception of requirements at the time and/or the fact that other perceived requirements (e.g general shopper/commuter parking) were held to outweigh requirements for motorhomes.

The only way to achieve an increase in facilities is to demonstrate sufficient demand to convince councils to spend money on providing them (whether that be by physical changes to infrastructure or simply devoting resources to amending TROs with all the publicity and public participation that entails), especially in the current economic climate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back