The Motorhome Buyers Guide - Dealer Tactics (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've just has this review of the buyers guide from @Oscartheroo

Excellent guide. It is only missing the dealer tactic of " I need to go away and talk to my manager". I'm not sure what this achieves, but they do it every time to me!

Hi Oscar, thanks for the kind comments. As for them walking away to talk to their manager, THEY ARE NOT DOING THAT they are negotiating. That tactic is discussed in the guide; look for sections mentioning "Higher Authority"

It's mentioned in this bit.

The truth is you should feel embarrassed if you do not ask! If it helps, make an excuse or tell a white lie, as to why you need a much lower price. Use a 'Higher Authority" “this is the motorhome I want but if I pay this much my wife/husband will murder me” or "I am already going over agreed budget - What can you do to help me?

This kind of negotiating allows you to remain reasonably friendly with
the sales person but you are still pushing hard because of your wife/ husband. The salesperson will use the same (higher authority) tactic on you, "The Boss Says No" or “I’d love to help but if the boss finds out I let this motorhome go for X, I will be out of a job” He's staying friendly with you, he'd give you the deal, but he can't. Recognise this for what it is. Salesmen KNOW what they can sell for.

One tip I've used when they use this ploy is to tell them if they have to keep going to see the boss you'd prefer dealing directly with their boss or someone who does have the authority to negotiate a deal. It certainly keeps them from trying it again, they are only having coffee anyway. Best of luck (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had a similar tyhing when we bought our m/h at the nec one company actrually did get the boss to see me he clearly thought I wasn't serious so I bought elsewhere they were a bit surprised when they rang back to see if I was interested and I said I'd already done the deal somewhere else. Since then if I go to a show and thik I'm interested I tell the tale and they sit up and take notice . Not read the buyers guide (ashamed) but I think it helps a lot if they realise you have the cash they must get endless dreamers but thats part of their job!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When I was buying the seller asked a price I made an offer, with his 'higher authority' standing next to him;).

We split the difference. Job done.

But it was a good deal for both of us - which is how both parties should feel.

When I paid(He, policeman, insisted cash - did not trust bank drafts) the money had to go into different banks. Found out later they were selling because they were splitting up.

I drew cash from a branch of my bank in Eastborne and he stuffed £20+k in a Tesco bag, stood on the steps, looked carefully left and right and then we dashed across the road to his bank. It was like something out of Keystone Cops:LOL:

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
This tactic is used in car showrooms too . Comes in many guises, started as Pendel Sales , an American, hardish sales
concept . With it you have a sales "controller" who will not let a vehicle be sold without a pre-determined profit being made. As suggested above , after the second time the salesperson goes to speak to his manager , ask to see the manager yourself and cut your time spent in half.
Awra best
John

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There's a variation I've come across with a dealer we have used on a previous occasion.
They wanted our Postcode. With that they got up on their system our previous purchases. We weren't as savvy then.
When we went for a motorhome, I gave them the postcode and the deal they were offering wasn't the best I could have got. I know, I got a better deal elsewhere.
Don't give them YOUR postcode. Give them a relatives (you could be living there, they don't know.)
Knowledge is power. If they know you'll roll over or even think it, why give them the info. Be Mr Invisible. Don't give them ANYTHING that could give them leverage.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The same tactic was (is?) used with various home improvements.

Not sure it's still the done thing though, double glazing peeps always used to 'call the boss' to get a better deal for you..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It amazes me how many times we hear other punters who haven't a clue about the vehicle they're supposedly wanting to buy and don't ask any questions about it, but still want to know what the deal is ... they are the ones who are generally 'time wasters' ... and the dealers must get fed up of them at times as it's so obvious they have no intention of buying and are 'tyre kickers' or dreamers.

If we are serious about buying a MH, or car even, from a dealer we ALWAYS make it clear to them that we're not messing about and are ready to buy if the deal is right and if its not we'll walk away - it helps if you confirm a few pertinent details of the vehicle itself which shows you have knowledge of what you're looking at and have done your research - this means you can 'take them on' at their own game as some will 'guess' and try to tell you something about the vehicle that's not right - I've had to 'educate' a few salesmen in the past when they've told me that a vehicle has X and I've told them it's Y as I had actually done my homework and checked the details first. This can actually be beneficial as it 'wrong foots' them and they are less likely to try to 'bull' you.

Timing can be key - we've walked away and got a better deal by returning later. In 2003 we saw a new model of MH - Rapido 709F - we'd admired it at a previous show but didn't commit as it only came with a 1 year warranty which we weren't happy with. At the next show we saw the dealer and the same salesman again who remembered us and asked if we were gonna buy it now, we said no and told him why and went to have a wander round the show. Towards the end of the day we went back to see the Rapido again and the salesman came over and asked if we wanted him to speak to his manager to see if there was anything he could do to get us to purchase it so we said yes, he brought the manager over and we chatted to them both ... they offered to throw in an awning and an extra year's warranty FOC if we did the deal that day ... so we agreed to purchase it (we probably would have anyway as it was the ideal MH for us at the time and nothing else came close but they didn't know that!). Why was the timing key? When we bought the Rapido it had been a slow day for them and I think they had only sold one MH so wanted a sale, if we'd tried to do it earlier in the day I doubt we'd have got the extra warranty.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
There's a variation I've come across with a dealer we have used on a previous occasion.
They wanted our Postcode. With that they got up on their system our previous purchases. We weren't as savvy then.

How would they get information of your previous purchases by entering your postcode? What use would the info be to them?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Bought a new sofa earlier this month. Extra warranty? No thanks not worth it. Salesman goes away for credit card machine. "Oh Ive just talked to the manager, you can have the warranty for £80 less". No thanks.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
How would they get information of your previous purchases by entering your postcode? What use would the info be to them?
Don't know about this one but car dealers, if buying new, always ask for your postcode to see whether you are in their catchment area and then deal with you accordingly. Cannot see any reason for knowing where you live before a deal is done.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Their records show who bought their vehicles, caravans etc. Their customer base shows where you live. You give them your postcode, they go into their system and see 'Mr Emmit lives there, he bought X from us. That was a good deal for us." For all I know there may be 'other stuff' on there showing % of profit from their side of the deal, the percentage of price applied to the pt ex I put in.

I did explain in my post that I was talking about a dealer I had done business before. I didn't see the significance before. I do now. The salesman could have used our postcode in the office we were sitting. He didn't. He went into another office.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We were lucky enough to speak with the head of sales, he knew that we were serious about buying.

After discussing all the extras we wanted, trade in price for the caravan, and the ‘best price’ he could give us, we said that we’d have to go away and have a good think about it. He fully understood and told us to call if there was anything else he do to sway the deal.

We knew that the price was very good, especially with the extras, but there’s always that little bit you feel that you want. In our case as we walked back to the car we felt that another £450 off would get it to a nice round number. So we turned around and walked back to the sales office, ‘any chance of a coffee?’ we asked, ‘well?’ he replied. ‘Well, I’m going to ask for another £1000 off, you’re going to say a figure and we’ll find something in the middle’. He smiled as I said ‘let’s agree on a nice round £xx,000 and have a coffee while we sign the paperwork’.

Both sides happy.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Their records show who bought their vehicles, caravans etc. Their customer base shows where you live. You give them your postcode, they go into their system and see 'Mr Emmit lives there, he bought X from us. That was a good deal for us." For all I know there may be 'other stuff' on there showing % of profit from their side of the deal, the percentage of price applied to the pt ex I put in.

I did explain in my post that I was talking about a dealer I had done business before. I didn't see the significance before. I do now. The salesman could have used our postcode in the office we were sitting. He didn't. He went into another office.

The car before the one we now have was bought from the same salesman at the same dealer as the car before that. He steered me away from the car I was looking at as he knew the high mileage we did then - plus cycling and kayaking needs a car that can cope with certain conditions. The car I did buy I got at 2/3 of the ticket price and it was a much better car than the one I was originally considering. The car we have now is okay but when we replace it we will go back to the previous dealer / salesman. We did look there before we bought the current car but they didn't have what we wanted :( I think in a small place with low population a local car dealer will give good service to a local resident as reputation is everything and they want repeat business.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I understand how entering postcodes brings up your address and obviously if you'd bought from them previously you'd be on the database.

What I still don't understand is why the information on previous transactions would be of use to a dealer negotiating a current transaction. You're saying that a dealer would use that information against a customer. If anything surely it would work to the buyer's advantage in that they are a repeat customer and therefore one to be valued?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If I was asked for my postcode prior to agreeing a deal I'd refuse, no reason at all why they'd need it for OUR benefit.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, but to lie about your postcode might not be the best idea, especially if you need a finance deal!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I understand how entering postcodes brings up your address and obviously if you'd bought from them previously you'd be on the database.

What I still don't understand is why the information on previous transactions would be of use to a dealer negotiating a current transaction. You're saying that a dealer would use that information against a customer. If anything surely it would work to the buyer's advantage in that they are a repeat customer and therefore one to be valued?

It was a dealer we'd used previously. Therefore they knew through their records what we'ed accepted before. For all I knew there were 'comments' made on their system.
That's why, if going back to a dealer (and despite their smiles, they don't remember all their clients), I wouldn't give my details.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you know the postcode you can look up the “demographic” for that code on many websites. Affluent area etc. that can give real bargaining Power to the dealer.

We visited the stand, at a caravan/motorhome Show, of a dealer we had used and trusted. They offered us a reasonable enough deal but we said, “No. That’s why we came to the show. We will ask around the other dealers.”

We visited one stand and, as we left, the salesman we had been talking to originally stopped us and said, “I’m sure we can throw in a few extras if you come back to our stand.”

We did, and he did!:)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have bought 2 nearly new motorhomes from Simpsons in Gt Yarmouth, dealt with Steve (now retired) and Brinley afterwards, no bullsh*t, just plain facts and figures, straightforward deals, job done both times with a very pleasant experience, I would recommend them if you live around here.(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you know the postcode you can look up the “demographic” for that code on many websites. Affluent area etc
But unless the dealer has real knowledge of that postcode area he gains nothing....
It could be a run down housing estate and he wouldn't know it.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
When we bought our MH at the NEC, the dealer (Brownhills gave me a great deal on my PX caravan and also let us keep if toy another 7 months) He said to us to go to any dealer at the show and if they can beat us then they will be making a loss. I tried every other dealer and nobody could come close to the deal I got from Brownhills. The sale was great and the van has been great, but the after sales leaves a lot to be desired.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Black Horse Finance (Available at most dealers) 12.9%???
Last finance offer we were given, (unrequested) 3.3%

12.9% as far as I'm concerned is almost up there with those Ads on daytime TV.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
But unless the dealer has real knowledge of that postcode area he gains nothing....
It could be a run down housing estate and he wouldn't know it.

Try www.streetcheck.com or checkmystreet.com

There are hundreds of websites which give you the demographics of an area.

Before buying our present house we checked one of the sites and found that our street was......

“....entirely privately owned houses and bungalows with an average price in excess of £250,000. The population was mainly middle aged to elderly, with the person you are most likely to meet being a 56 yr old woman. Most houses were owned outright with no mortgage.

Most residents were in management or professional jobs, or retired.”

There was so much info we were genuinely “gobsmacked”!

If we could find that kind of info so easily, so can dealers.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
"OUR", where did you get that daft notion from ? Everything the dealer does is purely for his benefit.
'OUR' as in me and hubby, no me and the dealer! :doh:

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
My old part exchange is still on the dealers forecourt 14 months after deal. Price first put up £5000 more than I got. This was £1000 more than I paid for my old by Van 2 years previous! Dealer has now reduced price by £1000. Wonder how much further he has to go to sell it?
Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back